The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why the Post Office SUCKS! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
So I'm going to the post office today to get stamps. I have to buy Christmas Stamps b/c my wife informs me that they MUST BE CHRISTMAS STAMPS to go on our Christmas Cards. (groan)

Anyhow...

I walk in and there are 3 people in front of me. Two old ladies with both feet in the grave and some young pot head with 12 boxes to ship and then myself. About 5 minutes pass and there is now a line backed out the door.

This bank has 4 teller stations...yet there is only a teller at one of them and nobody else is to be found. 20 minutes passes and this one teller is now done with the both of the old hens and begins to get high from the fumes coming from the stoner in front of me and his 12 boxes.

She finally gets on the mic and calls for help to handle the line.

NOBODY COMES!

She keeps calling and we begin to hear yells from the back that so and so is busy, and so and so is on break, etc.

I'm in the Post Office for well over 30 minutes all to buy 3 books of stamps that I can't buy from the self service machine b/c they don't carry Holiday Stamps in it forcing me to be held hostage in this line.

I HATE THE POST OFFICE!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Dude, you take the cards and tell the wife you'll take care of it. Go to the grocery store and get regular stamps and send them. Or you can be like me, take the cards and toss 'em out.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
If only there was a competitive alternative.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Start one. Good luck.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-12-02 00:25, MagicSanta wrote:
Start one. Good luck.

Yeah, how'd that work out for Lysander Spooner?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Uh, you slide from post office to bank. I think you might have been standing too close to the dude, Smile

First day of the month is always a bad idea, as is the 15th. Post office is all about timing. Like don't grocery shop between 5pm and almost 7pm.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
It's still cheaper and less time consuming than taking the letters yourself to all the people.

Randi
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hi Randi, hope Japan was good.
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
I hate the regular post office, just a bunch of LAZY gov't "workers". I found a good little branch office in a wine store, the old lady that works there is SLOW but usually there is noone there. Takes 1 min to get stamps.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Tom,

Normally I would go to the bank, but they were all out of stamps today, so I was stuck.

Randi,

Can't wait to hear about the trip!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
There's only one bank where you live? Super markets also sell postage stamps.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Where I live we have a one person post office, I've never seen anyone there other than the one worker. We have no bank or grocery store!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
So that's why you flip from postal worker to teller.

Right next door to my closest Post Office is a Mail Boxes Etc. They sell stamps for about a nickel per stamp over post office rates. Sometimes it is worth it to avoid the Post Office line when there is one.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2010-12-02 01:57, MagicSanta wrote:
Where I live we have a one person post office, I've never seen anyone there other than the one worker. We have no bank or grocery store!

Santa I can understand in your case I know you live in a rather isolated area. But Christopher lives in Dallas Tx. I am sure there are more that one p.o. or supermarket in his area. Heck even stores like 7-11's often sell books of postage stamps.
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Christmas is the time for gold, frankingmachines and myrrh.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
695 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
God I hate it too. There is no instruction for folks that have no idea what to do as far as getting tracking and/or using customs forms (me on my first couple trips.) Also they don't offer tape for free, you have to buy a whole darn roll for $5. Also, many tellers at my local one are rude and act like customers know the ins and outs of postal service.

/rant
Michael Wong
Wizard
http://michaelwong.says.so
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Michael - use the one in Bellevue. They're awesome...and you can sit in traffic to get there Smile
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Christopher,

And you're going to LOVE government-run medical care, too!

Woland
Joe McIntyre
View Profile
New user
North myrtle beach S.C.
61 Posts

Profile of Joe McIntyre
You can get stamps on line. next day in your mail box.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Will the cards get there in time now anyway?

Here in Endland they sell stamps in other places apart from the PO such as news agents etc .
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why the Post Office SUCKS! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL