The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Tweaking Sound for School Gyms? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
Anyone with experience have some advice for tweaking sound when performing in a school gym? No matter what I do it sounds awful!
PCoreyB
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of PCoreyB
Unfortunately, if the school hasn't invested in acoustical treatment, your options are limited. I've struggled with this on many occasions and currently work at a church that just built a gym and towards the end of the project, acoustical treatment was cut from the budget to save money...BIG mistake!

Hopefully the gym will fill with people for the show which should help some. Don't place your speakers too far to the sides so as to try to keep the sound hitting the audience instead of going around them. If the school has something available to put on the floor like carpets or mats, that might help a little. Play with your EQ a bit and try not to push the bass too hard. Some gyms have curtains installed that can divide the gym. If that's the case and you don't need the extra room, use them. If you happen to have any extra backdrops available, set them up behind the audience to help absorb sound.

Just some thoughts, it's a tough situation...hope it works out okay!

Best wishes!
Corey
rattman
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of rattman
Also don't try to get the volume to high. Keep it just above the ambient noise level.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
I second Corey's suggestions. All of them are excellent.
Dan McLean Jr
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
Thanks for the advice! I'll put it to use at my next school show!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
If your PA has reverb and/or delay, turn it off. Most every gymnasium I have performed in has tons of natural reverb. As Corey said, EQ can be helpful. The acoustics in each gym may be different though, so what works for one may not work for the other. You may have to play with it to find which frequencies need tweaking. Cutting some overactive frequencies should be helpful in most cases.
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Tweaking Sound for School Gyms? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL