The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Zenneth Kok Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
471 Posts

Profile of ekins
Has anyone seen or heard of these new cups that Denny is selling?

http://dennymagic.com/products/trick/pau......d-balls/

-Brian
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes. I have a set of these, as well as the matching chop cup and the matching solid cup in the cups and balls museum.

They are larger than a standard Paul Fox cup by just a little bit, so that they will accept a tennis ball as a load.

That's the good news. The odd news (not necessarily bad news) is that they are copper plated copper. I don't know why this was done, but that's what they are.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Copper-plated copper? Odd indeed!

Fortasse
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't get it, either.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Plating might be smarter and cheaper than polishing. Where are these made?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of dcjames
I have a set of these cups as well. Although my set is not bad for the price, the plating was not very well done. There are visible flaws on the saddles of my set where the plating appears to have some sort of debris beneath it.

I understand that quality control was an issue when these were available only on the big, colorful, auction site. I have heard some say that they are great cups for the money while others were not at all pleased with the sets they recieved...

http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/Zenneth......Cup.html

Posted: Dec 3, 2010 12:15am
I just noticed that the ad on Denny & Lee's site states 'brushed finish' so plating may no longer be an issue.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3234 Posts

Profile of gaddy
A different alloy for the finish? Still doesn't make a lot of sense...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2661 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
That's quite the glowing review on the web site! I'll be sure and pick up a set on the big site at once!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I think they've got potential Andrew, I just think I was sent junk.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2661 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I guess my worry would be that if they damage easily, it could be risky. I think I could drop a Mendoza cup off a skyscraper and it would land undamaged - with a regulation tennis ball underneath and 3 1" balls nested beautifully on the top, of course.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I'd be willing to bet a whole lot of moola that they were made in China.
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's not a secret.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
832 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
I was considering these as well, but not anymore I guess..
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Williamsburg, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
I had a friend who recently went to the Mike Vincent lecture at Denny's in MD. He handled four sets of these. Of that, the first three were damaged either in shipping, or according to Denny were handled by prospective buyers who stacked them or handled them and the cups simply dented and scratched. My friend was convinced that they were just junk cups and Denny wasn't thrilled either. The last set although they had no physically noticeable flaws were less than favorable according to him. They didn't stack properly, rocked when loaded with the balls they came with, and the others- the finish was worn on the beads of the cup, they were dinged up etc etc...he said that they were junk and would never withstand repeated professional or probably even amateur use. I dunno, as I haven't seen a set myself- but this guy is a cups and balls worker and he was not a fan at all of these. Kind of a let down as I actually was hoping for an affordable set of PF style cups...

Jonathan
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
They look real nice in the picture. Smile

A new set of real PF cups will only set you back $250 these days. Less if you prefer a copper satin finish.
In the scheme of things, that seems pretty affordable for a set of professional quality cups.
Kevin Gardner
View Profile
Regular user
Richboro, PA
177 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gardner
Yes, Murphy's has recently started to carry these, so they are widely available now. For the past year they appeared on eBay by the same vendor in China. I remember reading somewhere that they were packaged very poorly for shipping to the USA, resulting in buyers receiving damaged cups.

For me the original Paul Fox size is perfect, especially when you use Fab Fruit. Tennis balls make for a boring final load and to the lay audience a lacrosse ball looks to be the same size as a tennis ball. Plus lacrosse balls don't leave green fuzz all over your close up mat like tennis balls do. And lacrosse balls are more colorful and solid than tennis balls.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I really hate to see these posts that say "I remember reading somewhere" or "I heard that" when there doesn't seem to be any evidence to support the statements. About a year ago, I posted that when I got my set, which was one of the first ones sold, because it had only the small tennis balls, and not the crocheted balls, it had been packed in material that was barely adequate, but that the cups did survive the trip. I don't know that anyone actually received a set that was damaged in transit.

I don't know how a tennis ball would make a "boring" final load, unless you presented the final load in a boring manner.

As far as fuzz coming off the tennis balls onto a closeup mat -- I've never seen that happen.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Kevin Gardner
View Profile
Regular user
Richboro, PA
177 Posts

Profile of Kevin Gardner
Quote:
On 2010-12-07 02:03, Bill Palmer wrote:
I really hate to see these posts that say "I remember reading somewhere" or "I heard that" when there doesn't seem to be any evidence to support the statements.

Here is where I read about the damaged Kok cups:

Quote:
On 2010-12-07 02:03, Bill Palmer wrote:

As far as fuzz coming off the tennis balls onto a closeup mat -- I've never seen that happen.

It's probably the mat's fault, I use a Magic Makers mat.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Quote:
On 2010-12-07 01:43, Kevin Gardner wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that they were packaged very poorly for shipping to the USA, resulting in buyers receiving damaged cups.

Here is where I read about the damaged Kok cups:

Kevin. I think you may be mistaken. These cups were NOT damaged in transit, I have stated that in the review and also stated that I was "sent junk" on this thread, meaning that the cups were obviously sent in used and damaged condition.

The large dent was above the shoulder bead on the centre cup in a stack of 3 and the packaging was unscathed.

I do not live in the USA.

I have also stated both in my review and on this thread that these cups have potential, it was just a shame that I was sent POETS cups.

Bri
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't think Zenneth knew my buyer name on eBay, so I don't believe he hand-picked the cups. They are better than some, worse than others. I think getting them from a magic dealer is a much safer method, for two reasons. He probably has them packed better for shipping in quantity, and you can return them to most dealers for an exchange.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Zenneth Kok Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL