The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Lost Voice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I had a close up gig last night after three children's parties and I lost my voice! To make matters worse, The background music was VERY loud and I could NOT be heard in any way.

It was a great experience because I had to communicate with only my facial expressions and gestures. My multiple selection routine was particularly strong because I had to express the difficulty of finding eight cards at once by getting more and more confused and distressed and as I collected the cards and lost them in the deck.

I highly recommend a bout of laryngitis to all.

Smile
Zednanreh
View Profile
Loyal user
Miami, FL
211 Posts

Profile of Zednanreh
I'll (classic) pass on that!

- Alex
So you want to market or sell your trick? Before you do, read this!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
In reading your post, I think Marcel Marceau (sp) would have been proud!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I'm losing my voice, I'll look forward to performing.
Nick
naturalturn
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of naturalturn
Lost my voice about 3/4 of the way into my show last night... then, miraculously, my voice returns about an hour after my show when it's had a chance to relax. When I was in my 30's this would rarely happen, but now... in my 40's this seems to happen more frequently (say, one in thirty shows).

Has this happened to you? or is it just my 40-year-old voice box which just isn't like what it used to be?

Part of the reason last night was because the P.A. system was not powerful enough for the venue and the room had very high ceilings so the acoustics were terrible and I had to talk loud.

Anything I can do to prevent this... lozenges? just avoid talking loud? or certain drinks to avoid b4 a speaking magic performance? breathing/relaxation exercises b4 speaking?

Thanks,
Ray
www.facebook.com/RayWongMagic
When Magic Went WONG!
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
This is the first time I ever lost my voice. It was due to a cough and 3 hours of non stop talking. Sadly it refused to come back. I've got lots of shows coming up and am trying to work around my voice.
Nick

P.S. If anyone has anysuggestions, be it cures, routines or canceling shows iwould greatly appreciate your help.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
You need this in your bag at all times: "Singers Saving Grace" throat spray. Here is the link: http://www.caycecures.com/Holiday/catalog/savingrace.htm You can get it online or at the health food store. I swear by it! It is $9.95 and well worth it. Drink warm liquids like tea and never iced drinks unless you are not performing that day. Cold is really rough on the throat. Stay hydrated. Don't let your voice dry out while you are performing. Carry that water bottle with you.

You might also put a clause in your contract regarding noise at venues or get a small battery-operated portable clip-on microphone/PA that is made for table hopping. I think Anchor makes a good unobtrusive one. No one should have to work in such a loud venue without amplification. You make your living with your voice. Strain it and you are out of work.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
naturalturn
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of naturalturn
Great suggestions MorningStar!

Thank you.
Ray
www.facebook.com/RayWongMagic
When Magic Went WONG!
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Please let me know if it works as well for you, Ray. I have never had it fail on me or anyone else. This method of throat care has saved many shows over the years.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
okito25
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria BC Canada
145 Posts

Profile of okito25
Hi YA RAY // Good to see ya around the Café.
thanks for that Morningstar
Keet
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Thank you very much, it seems to of done the trick, all though it didn't get rid of my bad throat it allowed me to get through my performance. Thank you very much.
Nick
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Quote:
On 2005-03-10 15:20, naturalturn wrote:
Lost my voice about 3/4 of the way into my show last night... then, miraculously, my voice returns about an hour after my show when it's had a chance to relax. When I was in my 30's this would rarely happen, but now... in my 40's this seems to happen more frequently (say, one in thirty shows).

Boy do I know what you are talking about. I used to be able to do 3 or 4 kid shows back to back without a problem. Now that I am north of 40 the kids better be real quiet at that third show or my voice will be in shreds.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Lost Voice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL