The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Props at Airport (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh Lord. So you give the guy searching your bag permission to search your bag? I REALLY want a video of them laughing hysterically at this concept.

If they are looking for a comedian the business cards might help.

Do you seriously think they take time to read the note?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Manchester, CT
2038 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
There's no way TSA has time to read your notes and signs guys. Pack properly, follow the rules. That's it. Flying is not a right. It's a privilege.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Doyle, I do not give them permission to search my bag. but they do any way. they also give you a sheet that says they have gone through your bag and if anything is missing or broken, they are not responsible.

I do shows, lots of them, all over the world. I don't carry normal items in my bag. I am always searched and checked. The note is a proactive way to let them know that they are going through a magicians bag. the sooner they know that the faster they realize they don't have anything to be concerned about.

and yes I do believe they take 10 seconds to read my note.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sure they spens an extra 10 seconds per bag. No matter WHAT THEIR job description is your note changes everything.

The mere presence of the note is a red flag that would GIVE them something to worry about.

Otherwise drug smugglers would simply smuggle drugs in magic props.

You think your note tells them they hae nothing to worry ahout?

You think the world at large cares a whit about your props? Yea I think safety is mor on thei mind. But if you feel better with the note by all means donit. I have literally dozens of those cards they leave.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
The note doesn't tell them they have nothing to worry about. It lets them know why I have all the random items that I carry.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It lets them know you don't want them going through the bag, which makes them want to go through the bag. IF they read the note.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
They are already going through it. Regardless of the note.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Then what exactly is the point of the note?

What they are doing is called their job. Get over it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
You do what you want to do an so will I. I was responding to the original poster. if you don't like or agree with what others do, get over it. sometimes I really wonder why I bother posting here.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2010, Keith Raygor wrote:
Had an 1-day trip to Indianapolis for a show a few weeks ago for a Realtor. Client asked that I bring the bubbles, the trick in which you blow bubbles and grab one out of the air and bounce it on the floor.
No checked luggage.
The bubbles required a further look by TSA. Upon inspection, the load area of the trick gave them concern. I explained, with a smile and without attitude that is was a magic trick for children. Would they like me to demonstrate? "No." Supervisor called over. No liquid in the trick, I'd emptied it before leaving, figuring I'd buy some at the first opportunity in Indy.

Here's the tricky part: TSA guy says I'm not allowed to bring 8 oz of liquid on flight. I explain, the container only holds 1 oz. and it's empty. He says the label on the bubble bottle says 8 oz. I explain it's only a trick, it's empty, it doesn't hold more than 1 oz. I say, "Please unscrew the top (I'm not allowed to touch anything, including their table), look inside of the container. See? It only holds about one ounce." He says doesn't matter, label says 8 oz. Manager called over. I feel like I'm going back and forth with a wall. Manager agrees with TSA agent. 8 ounces it is.
I explain - again- there's no liquid in the prop. After 20 minutes of starting to sweat, and keeping my cool, they explain to me my five options:

1) Go back out through security and put it in my car (may have missed the flight, and yes, I'd still have to wait in the line again).
2) Go back out through security and mail it to myself at my destination (show was in 8 hours, 1500 miles away, so mail wouldn't get there in time)
3) Go back out through security and find the post office and mail it to myself at home, but I'd still have to go back through the line and procedures of security again.
4) Go back out through security and take the trick to the ticket counter where they could try to find my luggage, then check the trick in with my bag. As I explained I don't have checked luggage, he told me not to interrupt his options.
5) They can throw the trick away.

I chose #5, was upset, and trying not to show it.
By the time I was done, I'd lost 25 minutes, argued over a non-existent 8 oz of liquid, and disappointed my client's request.
Frustrated, I walked to the flight pondering those 3 points.

Then I immediately reminded myself that bubbles are easy to replace, and I'm making my living making people smile. Life was good.
Now, it's just a story.

Remember, you were trying to explain things to TSA agents. I'm sure you talked slow and avoided using big words but it still didn't work. TSA is the largest unionized group of idiots on the planet.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2015, Nick W wrote:
You do what you want to do an so will I. I was responding to the original poster. if you don't like or agree with what others do, get over it. sometimes I really wonder why I bother posting here.

Just trying to figure out what good you think it does. Sorry if reality gets in the way it is not my fault.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Your ego is getting in the way of reality. doesn't matter what good you or I or anyone thinks writing a note does. what good does it do to add an extra convincer in your act or routine? whos really paying attention? and just for you, since writing these notes, TSA has not gone through my containers of salt and leaving them open and spilling out in my bag.. since writing the notes, I have had 0 issues. my post was never ment for you. it was ment for the person who originally posted.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2015, BrianMillerMagic wrote:
There's no way TSA has time to read your notes and signs guys. Pack properly, follow the rules. That's it. Flying is not a right. It's a privilege.

Guess it wasn't meant for Brian either huh?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11959 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I know this is an old thread but I am flying out for a gig in less then two weeks. I am afraid to send my props in my checked bag and hoping I can place them in my carry bag and get them through. I would love to know someone who has traveled in the last few months. Plus TSA is not getting paid right now which I know may have negative consequences. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What props do you have exactly and are you going to fly international?

I mean I have flown more miles than I care to admit this year, most recently into Mexico on Saturday.

I had ZERO problems or concerns with flying. I just don't like it is all. I am 6'5 and 280 lbs. So the seats are getting REALLY tough for me to want to worry about.

But as far as any flying with props it depends on what they are. If you are able to fit them into the smaller carry on size bins then there should be no issues.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11959 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Electronics and magnets Danny. Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Props at Airport (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL