The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Props at Airport (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2010-12-05 16:43, Andrewzuber wrote:
Any tips on the best way to travel with a hold out? Or is removing it really the preferable option?
Sub-question: If the hold out has C4 attached to it, will that make a difference?

Send it in advance.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
I wear my suit on the plane and have nearly my entire act in my carry-on. A couple items (forks for example)go in my checked baggage to avoid any issues. The goal is that I can perform even if my luggage gets lost.

I did have to go through a process to simplify the show (prop wise) to make this happen. Definitely worth it as don`t want to arrive anywhere without my show equipment. However, I suppose most of my show could be sourced from office supply stores which is a nice bonus just in case (I love contingency plans!).
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
To the best of my knowledge, cheese cannot be used to highjack a plane, P.T. Selbit's "The Mighty Cheese" notwithstanding.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
It could if the pilots were both lactose intolerant.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Keith,

That is a crazy story.

My carry on was full of magic and sound stuff (mp3 tech, etc) this weekend and my bag was inspected.

Turns out they were only interested in the big bottle of shaving cream.

I was very respectful and he ended up letting me keep it since it was almost empty.

I've definitely learned that the most consistent thing is that they are not consistent.

Just because you get through one time.... that doesn't mean anything for the future.

But an empty container of bubbles that is really only a film canister?? Wow.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Can't add much to Sealegs terrific post except one idea I always use is to have a couple of publicity photo's or brochures on top inside any checked luggage. They kind of "get it" when they see them and it can often save a lot of time.

Timothy
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Timothy - Great idea!
bentleyburns
View Profile
New user
Mississippi
20 Posts

Profile of bentleyburns
I'm hoping someone can help me. As I'm getting busier and traveling further I was trying to find something I haven't seen in a long time. I was looking for a magician's sign he puts in his luggage when flying. I believe it's Brian Brushwood's and I want to find his exact wording. It's something along the lines of "These are magic props that support me and my family..." but not sure and I've been looking and no such luck. Thanks.
Social Media:
Facebook.com/BentleyIllusionist

Twitter/Instagram: @BentleyBurns
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So you think a sign of some sort will stop the TSA from doing their job? IF it were that easu don't you think bad guys will do it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bentleyburns
View Profile
New user
Mississippi
20 Posts

Profile of bentleyburns
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
So you think a sign of some sort will stop the TSA from doing there job? IF it were that easu don't you think bad guys will do it?

Haha Of course not but it makes things easier. It helps to let them know what the strange looking items are. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could send that to me. If you could see the sign it would explain better as it's not to stop them from doing their job but make it easier on them and help me out as well!
Social Media:

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No it won't. It will likely raise red flag and guarantee a search. But go ahead.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
bentleyburns
View Profile
New user
Mississippi
20 Posts

Profile of bentleyburns
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
No it won't. It will likely raise red flag and guarantee a search. But go ahead.

Well it seems to work for the people doing it but hey what do they know....I've looked at all the possibilities and I like it but nonetheless I will just keep searching until I find it or make one that's not as eloquent as the sign I remember.
Social Media:

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Who said it works? Does the TSA leave a note saying "we were going to search your bags until we saw the sign"?

How would anyone even know it did any good?

If it actually did any good then smugglers would just put signs in their luggage.

But yea go ahead.

I fly dozens of times a year and you are making way more of this them there is.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
bentleyburns
View Profile
New user
Mississippi
20 Posts

Profile of bentleyburns
You clearly don't know what it's for so no need to keep on explaining to you. I'll just keep searching and maybe I'll find it.
Social Media:

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I clearly understand what it is supposedly for. You clearly do not fly much or understand what the job if the TSA is.

Flying has changed friend. The exact thing you are trying to prevent with this sign will likely happen BECAUSE off this sign.

It makes perfect sense. You're just not keeping up. They are not going to do the job any differently when they see it other than to think "hmm wonder what they have to hide? " and end up giving you even MORE scrutiny.

In the task world outside of magic clubs and message boards NOBODY cares about your props and little magic things. Their job is to keep airplanes in the air. Nothing more. So you sorting your family with props pales in comparison to their job.

I fly dozens of times a year for decades and have literally lost one bag and had them searched lots of times with no incident. They leave that little card telling you that they searched. Life goes on.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
It's no different that seeing a sign that says "do not open." You are only attracting attention to it and creating a desire or curiosity to wanting to open it. I'd be careful who you listen too as well, much of Brian is nothing more than hype and fodder and intentionally going against the grain.
bentleyburns
View Profile
New user
Mississippi
20 Posts

Profile of bentleyburns
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
I clearly understand what it is supposedly for. You clearly do not fly much or understand what the job if the TSA is.

Flying has changed friend. The exact thing you are trying to prevent with this sign will likely happen BECAUSE off this sign.

It makes perfect sense. You're just not keeping up. They are not going to do the job any differently when they see it other than to think "hmm wonder what they have to hide? " and end up giving you even MORE scrutiny.

In the task world outside of magic clubs and message boards NOBODY cares about your props and little magic things. Their job is to keep airplanes in the air. Nothing more. So you sorting your family with props pales in comparison to their job.

I fly dozens of times a year for decades and have literally lost one bag and had them searched lots of times with no incident. They leave that little card telling you that they searched. Life goes on.

I fly quite a bit and know that TSA is for safety (supposedly) but anyways it's clear you aren't going to tell me what I ask for so it's done.
Social Media:

bentleyburns
View Profile
New user
Mississippi
20 Posts

Profile of bentleyburns
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
It's no different that seeing a sign that says "do not open." You are only attracting attention to it and creating a desire or curiosity to wanting to open it. I'd be careful who you listen too as well, much of Brian is nothing more than hype and fodder and intentionally going against the grain.

I understand that much of his ideas are hype but that was something I liked and I'm not even sure if it's his but I just THINK it is. I do appreciate your warning on that but that's one idea that I like and it struck me so I am interested.
Social Media:

MarkToland
View Profile
New user
Chicago
35 Posts

Profile of MarkToland
Mentalists don't have this problem.

"What are these, sir?"

"Index cards."
Mind reading Web Series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxXGYrmekzI

Member PEA
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
What I do is type a letter and leave it in my bag, where its easily seen by whoever searches it. The letter says my name, and that I'm a magician and that the contents will be odd because of this fact. I than go on to give them permission to search the contents, provided they are delicate with everything and put it away just as they found it. Last blow off sentence is my thanking them for their work to keep everyone safe. I feel this is a honest, direct way to let them know who you are and what you are all about. I also stick a few name cards to it. Always be selling gentleman!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Props at Airport (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL