The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Another farmers market busking experience! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MitchellMac
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of MitchellMac
Ok now this trip was a success for me. Normally I make maybe 15 to 20 bucks for couple shows. Today I should've made 15 bucks if one particular person would've payed a 1. So basically I made 14 bucks off of the ones that most people gave me. One particular person didn't pay me a 1(and this guy was a complete stranger, I didn't know him in any way). He didn't pay me a five either. or a ten. But a freaking 20 dollar bill. Now for gazzo or jimmy talksalot that may not be an incredible tip but for me that's just plain awesome. so I made 34 dollars today! Also I gave a women my phone number because she said she wanted it in case she had some sort of a party. So ya, big success today!
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Congrats
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Gotta love the farmer's markets...

Work it. Get to know the organizers and the vendors. The organizers may be in a position to help you or sponsor you in some way, and you NEED to get the vendors on your side anyhow.

Take the woman asking for your # as a compliment, but don't let it go to your head. Getting gigs from your busking is a great bonus, but don't let that become your primary purpose. There are many better ways to get gigs through good marketing techniques.

Just focus on building a good show with a catchy opening, several different middle effects that you can switch out as the specific needs of each show occur to you, (paying close attention to MAXIMIZE audience involvement and making "friends" with the audience), and a great finale that really WOWs them. You've got plenty of time to create a great show that will serve you well now and into the future!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
MitchellMac
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of MitchellMac
Thanks, I will do all you said gaddy
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
YEAH !!! Good going Mitchell.You know it only gets better every time you go busking.Do keep us informed.

Don
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I tried the farmer's market here in Providence. Couldn't get more than a couple of people to start and no one tipped.
Maybe I'll try again next fall.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
You have really got to work the farmers markets, or flea markets, etc... But if you do, actually get out and engage some folks, get a couple stopped and then start working on the rest. Don't be in to much of a hurry to perfrom until you build the edge. It is surprising good practice, and helps with expenss. You might not get rich there, but you sure can work on, and refine your act.
The Doctor Knows.....
kumpletoo
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of kumpletoo
Gotta try this at the farmer's market here in Raleigh, NC.

Gaddy, thanks for the good tips...
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Never even CONSIDERED a farmers market.

Good tip,

Thanks
MitchellMac
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of MitchellMac
Well if anyone does try their local market there is something they need to consider. I mentioned in another of the farmers market experiences that I met a juggler. He said he set up sort of in the center of the market and was kicked out. I right on the outside of the market... Like a few feet away from where the first of the tents were... So if you do a loud show then the farmers probably don't want you in there. So consider doing what I did and work on the border of it.
teachersears
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of teachersears
For me the farmer's market was a great place to practice. Made a few bucks. But most of the folks there were on a mission - get the tomato plants home and get them in the ground, etc. Didn't seem to have time to stop. The markets are still on my list, but not high.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Last year I had an arranged Magic and Balloons session at a Farmer's Market style place, and partway through got told by one of the organisers what I was doing wasn't what they wanted. So, one try and over with in the meantime.
But across the street from the market is one of the major parking areas for market customers, and Ive seen folk set up there on the side closest to the market selling bead bracets, firewood, raffle tickets, hoping to catch some buyers amongst those who park in the car park.
I've since latched on to a weekly car boot sales held in the ground floor of a parking station and will be giving that a go. The good thing is I can work there for a couple of hours then walk to my regular pitch as well.
The presentation makes the magic.
DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
These are the only pitches I would recommend calling for permission, first. Because if you crash it; you're going to get kicked out and be unwelcome back.

A $20 is always something to celebrate. Smile
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
I never worked a farmer's market. Do you have to pay for a spot, get permission from the organizers, or do you just crash it?
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
You can be in for a bad time if you crash. Better in this case to ask permission. I "sell" the idea as entertainment for folks strolling around and shopping the market and I have never had to pay. Be sure they understand you will be allowing tips...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Farmers markets are ok if there attended well-some are really quiet so you will have a quiet day!!

I Pay $15 for a good spot at local farmers market! for about 4 hrs

Get some good crowds often blocking the walkway between booths etc

Using a small table but quite high-I attract a crowd using money & cards & lots of fun interaction
Shows go about 10 mins-short but can fit more in etc-usually crowds are waiting for next show as they arrive at the end of
previous one etc....

Brent
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
We have a KILLER Farmer's Market every Sunday Morning in HOLLYWOOD, CA... there are a number of music buskers that are regulars. Also a Balloon maker. There was a guy that showed a few times doing a rope trick and he faded and left... frankly, he was not very good. I would bet a strong guy could make strong money.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Another farmers market busking experience! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL