The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Book -- Collaboration between lay audience member and magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
427 Posts

Profile of boinko
I've been doing a lot of reading in my (small) collection of magic books, but I suddenly realized the kind of book I'd love to see but haven't yet encountered.

I've love to see a collaboration volume between the magician and an audience member. The audience member (obviously, someone who can write well and who knows little, if anything, about magic -- but has a good appreciation for sleight-of-hand) would write a description of what they see -- and then give the trick some sort of ranking. The magician would then describe the method. Both parts would be written apart from each other -- the magician doesn't see what the audience person writes and the audience member likewise.

It's kind of a gimmick -- but then again -- it'd make for interesting reading -- especially (as I say above) if the audience member and magician are both entertaining writers. This seems like something Joshua Jay/Andi Gladwin might tackle. Or John Bannon. I'd love to see writing *about* Bannon's fantastic effects from someone who has no idea how they're done -- but was there to see the effects performed.

I know, for example, a lot of books written by one magician about another -- Harry Lorayne's great book on Krenzel (one that I've recently been reading -- and love). And I know most videos work this way -- a duo of main magician and secondary magician/erudite magic scholar.

Thoughts? Has anything like this been done? Is it too "gimmicky"?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Book -- Collaboration between lay audience member and magician? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL