The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Male Dove (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5700 Posts

Profile of Regan
Well, after finding 4 doves over a year ago, and eventually determining that they are all females, I finally found a male! At least that what the previous owner told me. He says the dove is about 3 years old. I could tell he was a little older by his dark-colored feet. He looks really healthy and he is fairly tame, but he is not trained for magic. I plan on just using him for a breeder for a while, but having him trained might be nice too.

If he is indeed 3 years old, how difficult would it be to train him.....maybe not to do fly backs or anything difficult, but to just do some bag productions and stay on my finger when I need him to?

Also, any advice you all have for breeding would be appreciated. I plan on keeping him, in the house with me for a little while, at least until this severe cold spell breaks. Then, I plan on putting him in an ajoining cage, alone for a little while. Then, I figure I will introduce him to some of my female doves. I have 2 that I want to serve mostly as breeders, so I plan on putting them in the cage with him first....one at a time.

If he doesn't like them, how soon will I likely know it? I don't want to wake up one morning and have a mauled dove. Will he show it right away if he is going to fight?

Thanks for all your help!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5077 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Regan, you should have no problem training a 3 year old dove including the fly back. Depending on how stabilized it was in it's previous environment, the training period may be a little longer than normal but not excessively so.

As for mating, I would put him in a cage with both females that you want to breed. You'll have to watch them but he'll pick the one he is interested in and then you can remove the other. If you cage is large enough, you can leave all 2 together. Males will not fight with females but you have to give them space.
Where the magic begins
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Sent PM
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5700 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Dave and Chris.

You guys have convinced me to try and train my new dove. If nothing else I could use him as a backup for emergencies. It can't hurt to try, and at least see how he progresses. Who knows, he could turn out to be my best dove!

Dave, I will take your advice about placing both females in with him. The cage is approximately 3' x 2' x 3' high. I will try and watch him close until I see what his reaction is going to be. How long does it usually take them to chose a mate? How long before you know if he is going to be territrial and fight or not?

Thanks again guys. You have been most helpful!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5077 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Your cage sounds large enough to handle this task. It's difficult to say how long it will take to mate. You can't rush love you know Smile During mating, you'll see a female sitting on a nest and the male will sit on top of her. There may be some pecking at first but it's part of the ritual.

As for being territorial, again, with only one male in the cage, that shouldn't be a problem.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5700 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Dave. I already have the 2 females in one cage by themselves. I have a nesting box set up in the upper rear corner. The females lay eggs in it all the time. I guess I will just put him in with them and see what happens. I kind of want to wait until spring or summer to start training any babies, so I hope they will be rather slow with the love part! Smile

Thanks again!

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Male Dove (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL