The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Buma's Triple Combo Silver Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Well, Mark Burger (Buma, Jr.) has done it again! There was a question a few weeks ago about this set, right after the last Joe Stevens catalog went out. I ordered a set, and I've had it for about a week.

This is a very interesting set of cups.

First of all, let me say this -- at the price, $350, it is almost unbelievable that anyone can produce a set of .925 silver cups. That's Sterling silver. So right off the bat, they are definitely worth the money.

So, what do you get? You get three sterling silver Monti style cups, three special inserts, three normal red crocheted balls and one special crocheted ball to use with the chop cup insert.

The inserts are made in such a way that any insert can be introduced to any of the three cups at any point in the performance. They will stay in place until you want to remove them. Then you can remove them (this will take practice and planning.)

The three inserts are a "foo can" insert, a chop cup insert and a special insert called "the gate."

The foo can insert will allow you to either pour a shot glass of water into the cup, make the water disappear and then pour it back out into the shot glass later in the performance. Other liquids can be used, if so desired. If the shot glass is small enough, it could possibly be loaded into the cup while the foo can insert is in the cup. There is room in the cup with the insert, so that a crocheted ball will fit under the cup while the insert is in place.

The Gate is something that I have never seen used in a cups and balls routine before. It's proprietary, so I won't give all of the details, but basically, almost any object that will fit under the cup can be picked up by the insert and caused to vanish. You can pick up a crocheted ball simply by placing the cup over it. I'm sure other objects will work as well. Retrieval of the object is not very easy; however, you probably shouldn't over use this idea, anyway.

The chop cup insert is good for most standard chop cup routines. The cup will not fit over another cup while this insert is in the cup, though, so certain combo cup moves are not possible with it. You can, however, use this to produce a number of small objects, such as BB's. For information on how to do this, get Martin's Miracles and look at the dice cup routine.

All in all, it's a good set of cups and definitely worth the money.

Available at Stevens Magic Emporium.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Bill, thanks for this great review. I have been looking at those cups and wondering if I should get the silver bullet cups or these, they do look nice. They area touch smaller than the SB's though are they not? Could you tell me the weight of each cup please Bill?

Thanks,
Bri
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Thank you for the information, Bill. I too was interested in these but was skeptical (only because the ad sounded too good to be true.) My worry had been that if cups could do ALL of that for the relatively low price, they might be lacking somehow. It sounds as though this isn't the case.
Would it be possible to speak to how visible the inserts are? Would the inside of the cups still be able to be shown "empty?"

That said, Christmas is coming up and I don't wanna make a big deal out of it or anything, but I think you forgot to send me a present last year.
I'll PM you with my address and you can just pop these babies in the mail. Happy holidays Smile
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I can't lay hands on the Silver Bullets right now. I'm kind of straightening out my cup collection. However, I have some other pewter cups that Buma made, and I'm certain they are the same size.

The ID of the silver cups is just a teeny bit smaller. However the height is about the same. The silver cups weigh 3.5 oz. each.

Posted: Dec 8, 2010 10:01pm
I found the Silver Bullets. The Triple Silver Combo and the Silver Bullets have just about exactly the same inner dimensions. The liquid loader from the Silver Bullets holds a bit more liquid, but doesn't leave the extra room in the cups.

The inserts are visible if you tilt the cups the wrong way. However, you don't have to start with the inserts in place. You can have those out of the way, but accessible, so you can start with clean cups. It is also possible to remove the inserts after you are done with them, but it isn't terribly convenient. You would have to do some clever routining to do that.

The instructions do not provide a routine, but do provide information on how to introduce and remove each loader, and how to handle the cups with the loaders in place. The chop cup insert is less likely to prove problematic if you flash the interior of the cup, because it just looks like a covering for the interior of the cup.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Thanks Bill!
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
All good things to know. I may need to put these on my list!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
374 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
I bought a set of the Triple Combo Cups when Joe ran his Black Friday special. That gave me a $20 discount and a free gift out of three possibilities. I chose the Ken Brooke "Chase the Ace" which had a retail of $47.50. I sold it, so now I have a great set of sterling silver cups for only $305. I think the $350 is a great deal, but my deal was even better!
Magic is where you find it.....
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-12-09 14:43, Dale Houck wrote:
I bought a set of the Triple Combo Cups when Joe ran his Black Friday special. That gave me a $20 discount and a free gift out of three possibilities. I chose the Ken Brooke "Chase the Ace" which had a retail of $47.50. I sold it, so now I have a great set of sterling silver cups for only $305. I think the $350 is a great deal, but my deal was even better!

Now THAT is Magic!!!
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's a darn good deal!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Glad Stevens is carrying these. Have you ever tried to work with Mark directly? Smile
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes. I don't have any problems dealing with him at all. However, he is a very private person.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
The price of silver has been escalating enormously in recent times. It's getting close to $30 an ounce (remember when it was 6 or 7 dollars an ounce just a year or so ago?). This makes the asking price for the Buma silver cups even more remarkable. A great buy!

Fortasse
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Oh, yes. I also remember when it got up to $32.00 per oz. during 1978 or 1979. We were burglarized. We had a service for 12 of Reed and Barton Francis I that was stolen from us. It was a wedding present that we had added to over the years. The market value of that was huge. That was when the Hunt brothers decided to hoard silver. However, they eventually had to turn loose of it. And that cost them big time.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Actually, that was in 1980. The peak value varies according to which historical report you read. Since that was 30 years ago, it's difficult to find "real" data on it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Man, why did you have to mention these? I love my silver bullets,

don't need more... don't need more... don't need more...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Just one more set...

Just one more set...

Just one more set...
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
After the Holidays will be selling most of my collection.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-12-10 12:29, Pete Biro wrote:

Really??!!
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
We've done business together in the past, Pete -please keep me in the loop!
Quote:
On 2010-12-10 12:29, Pete Biro wrote:
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I have found that Mark will go the extra mile to insure you get what you want.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Buma's Triple Combo Silver Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL