We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Function(9) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2546 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Fair question about the scripting and I would say no. These are "street magic" type effects presented by a likeable guy and technically taught well. They are not, at least in my opinion, "motivated." The best magician is a great entertainer with great scripts, great magic, great jokes, etc. Only a handful I have seen fit this bill. Sometimes several but not all of these qualities are sufficient
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Thank's Xcath1, Gospel Dan always seems to be in a bad mood!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Sorry Markymark!

I was really only kidding around with what I said. Besides, I'm never in a bad mood. Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
HusssKarson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ca, US
265 Posts

Profile of HusssKarson
Looks great! Would love to see some detailed review from the owners.
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Detailed review? The only thing you need to here is " buy it... buy it now" some of the most commercial close up work that I have seen in a "long long long long long long long time"
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1598 Posts

Profile of Markymark
No problem Dan,I do understand that some of us want to be spoonfed!

I often find an interesting script acts as a springboard for an original idea of
my own.Of course every trick does not have to be motivated but I tend to watch
those sort of dvd's more then once just for entertainment value.
I'm thinking of Tommy Wonder,Matthew Wright,Bill Abbott and lately I'm watching
the Del Ray dvd over and over.
But maybe the future of magic[as JamieD puts it] is quicker tricks!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Oooh ***!! this is really bad news for me
I just ordered from penguin last week.. and now I will have to order again

callen.. well done! your material is really strong and you are really creative.. keep it up!
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2820 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Anyone else pick this up?
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Lord*Of*ILLUZION
View Profile
Regular user
California
119 Posts

Profile of Lord*Of*ILLUZION
Yes I purchased the download.....all I have to say is Calen's thinking reminds me a little of Paul Harris' style but with a unique flair. I am very impressed. These effects use a good balance of sleights, subtlety, misdirection, older principles, very simple gimmicks, and just great, offbeat thinking. Excellent job, would totally recommend this.
"Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies"
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1354 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On 2010-12-13 13:16, Xcath1 wrote:
Fair question about the scripting and I would say no. These are "street magic" type effects presented by a likeable guy and technically taught well. They are not, at least in my opinion, "motivated." The best magician is a great entertainer with great scripts, great magic, great jokes, etc. Only a handful I have seen fit this bill. Sometimes several but not all of these qualities are sufficient

I would be inclined to agree. many can do magic, few can perform magic, and even few can entertain with it. (Fooling people does not equal entertainment) I think the best effect on here is the cell phone/rubber band effect personally.
Official Thread Killer
papercrane
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
152 Posts

Profile of papercrane
For all those who have purchased Function 9... Calen and Alan Rorrison have created an impromptu version of Transport that is awesome. Check it out here http://www.papercranemagic.com/transportimpromptu.htm
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
Cheers for the Kudos folks... I cant lie, my fone is ALWAYS set up to go now... Lovig it calen. Great work and I'm happy I could help in what ever little way I can...
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Can anyone say whether the version/explanation of Transit on this DVD is exactly the same as the one on the Transit stand-alone DVD? Just wondering because I have a new copy of Transit still in the wrapper, but will probably sell it without opening it after I get the Function(9) DVD, unless there is some reason to own both. Thanks.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Acar
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of Acar
Maxfieldsmagic: Yes, the full routine is taught. On each version there is a unique alternative handling taught, but each has the full original routine.

Hope that helps!

Acar
Penguin Magic
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Thanks, Acar. That helps.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Bernardo Rodriguez
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Bernardo Rodriguez
I bought this and I was impressed! I really liked loaded and will use it because it fits what I do so well....
Honestly I think you and Dan Hauss should jam because he is a major gimmick person and you have similar styles. I think you both could really do some damage to the magic community. (just my opinion)

Bernardo Rodriguez
Zhang
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Zhang
In the routine Trans(port) Calen uses a yellow rubber band which it is very similar to the other "thing" he uses with ,in the same effect.

I just can not find that kind of rubber bands to match that "thing". If any of you guys know where I can get those yellow rubber band I would really appreciate it if you can post a link and so forth.

thanks in advance.

Zhang
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Quote:
On 2010-12-27 13:58, Zhang wrote:
In the routine Trans(port) Calen uses a yellow rubber band which it is very similar to the other "thing" he uses with ,in the same effect.

I just can not find that kind of rubber bands to match that "thing". If any of you guys know where I can get those yellow rubber band I would really appreciate it if you can post a link and so forth.

thanks in advance.

Zhang

OfficeMax

http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies......ARS22028

http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies......d2240222
I've been training these cards since they were small.
Zhang
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Zhang
Quote:
On 2010-12-27 23:51, Seeker wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-27 13:58, Zhang wrote:

thanks in advance.

Zhang

OfficeMax

http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies......ARS22028

http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies......d2240222

Thanks a lot,i'm gonna order some right now.

Happy New Year!

Zhang
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
This DVD received an awesome review on the Wizard Product Review. I think they referred to it as one of the best DVDs of the decade. Placed my order this morning.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Function(9) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL