The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » So what's the best income tax rate? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..21~22~23 [Next]
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Carrie
It is very hard for you to swallow the fact that your great leader Ronald Reagan did not create nearly as many jobs as your arch enemy Jimmy Carter did. HA HA HA LOL
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Well, my political awareness, such as it is, started with Johnson, and from on the ground I haven't seen much difference through the years. Mark Twain had it right about statistics...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2010-12-12 09:08, Carrie Sue wrote:
Looks fake to me.

I'm sorry, but the idea that Carter created more jobs than Reagan, when Carter left this nation in what he referred to as a national malaise?

Wrong number. I don't buy it.

Carrie

Read it and weep

"Most surprising is that Carter ranks first in job creation as 10 million jobs were added during his four years in office, more on an annualized basis than Clinton or Reagan."

From http://www.forbes.com/2004/07/20/cx_da_0720presidents.html

He also raised taxes seven times expanded the deficit and expanded the federal government

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/......408.html
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Again, it's not quite fair to think that the presidency alone is responsible. Surely GW Bush and Obama shared the watch during the current economic meltdown. And surely policies older than either of their tenures played a role. And who could doubt that global issues play a part?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-12-12 13:16, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Again, it's not quite fair to think that the presidency alone is responsible. Surely GW Bush and Obama shared the watch during the current economic meltdown. And surely policies older than either of their tenures played a role. And who could doubt that global issues play a part?

John

And yet, the correlation is there. Since at least WWII the debt has risen dramatically faster when there is a Republican administration. You can track it and chart it. Better you do so, that way you know I didn't make it up.
Now, I'm not a fan of either party, but numbers are what they are. Of course, correlation and causation are not the same thing, so it might not mean anything. Just interesting.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-12-12 14:39, critter wrote:

And yet, the correlation is there. Since at least WWII the debt has risen dramatically faster when there is a Republican administration. You can track it and chart it. Better you do so, that way you know I didn't make it up.
Now, I'm not a fan of either party, but numbers are what they are. Of course, correlation and causation are not the same thing, so it might not mean anything. Just interesting.

Interesting but not particularly surprising. The following is cut and pasted from online:

"Starving the beast" is a fiscal-political strategy of some American conservatives to use budget deficits via tax cuts to force future reductions in the size of government. The term "beast" refers to the government and the programs it funds, particularly social programs such as welfare, Social Security, Medicare and public schools.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I am a tax-anoid so they will do what they want and we'll submit...so no comment, I'm their slave.

The reason Reagan spent so much on and tripled the budget was because he put huge amounts into rebuilding the military, which had gone to hell during Carters time. It was a pretty good investment since it contributed to the end of the cold war and thus lower expenditures since. I have no idea what the job market was in the early eighties. I went from the military to the hottest job market (at that time in silicon valley) in the country so finding work was no problem.

RS, I hope they do not think those terror attacks were fake, we may be misreading the intent of the posts.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Santa
Reagan spent money on starwars because he loved us, and Carter spent money getting people back to work because he hated us?
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
176 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2010-12-12 15:35, MagicSanta wrote:
RS, I hope they do not think those terror attacks were fake, we may be misreading the intent of the posts.

Exactly, Santa. That's why I asked for clarification. But they sure did seem to imply that the attacks were indeed fake. I smell a Ben Gleck conspiracy theory. Smile

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
So the government grew during Carter's presidency. That explains the job growth, and explains the debt at the same time. If I have a business, and I hire people to work for me, my business has to be able to still operate with the larger payroll. If it doesn't my business goes under. Government never worries about that problem - they just tax the population to pay for the new jobs they created.Hardly good for the economy.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-12-12 16:13, thorndyke wrote:
So the government grew during Carter's presidency. That explains the job growth, and explains the debt at the same time. If I have a business, and I hire people to work for me, my business has to be able to still operate with the larger payroll. If it doesn't my business goes under. Government never worries about that problem - they just tax the population to pay for the new jobs they created.Hardly good for the economy.

If you are referring back to Payne's post, you misread it. The second article he gave the link to was about Reagan growing the government, not Carter. Here is it again. The article is by Republican former Sen. Alan Simpson, a friend of Pres. Ronald Reagan.

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/......408.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
We have abandoned starwars because it was unworkable, and Reagan blew many billions on that boon dogle. It was Reagan that spent big bucks on government growth, and government debt.
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
I stand corrected.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Holy smoke I never thought I'd see the day....someone is actually touting Carter, JIMMY CARTER, as doing a good job? Please, tell us more Al...
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-12-12 14:39, critter wrote:
And yet, the correlation is there. Since at least WWII the debt has risen dramatically faster when there is a Republican administration.

Yes...Democrats tax & spend, while Republicans borrow & spend, so no surprise there.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It just depends which stats you want to look at...if you're propping Reagan, don't look at the national debt. As for Carter...

U.S. misery index

During the Presidential campaign of 1976, Democratic candidate Jimmy Carter made frequent references to the Misery Index, which by the summer of 1976 was at 13.57%. Carter stated that no man responsible for giving a country a misery index that high had a right to even ask to be President. Carter won the 1976 election. However, by 1980, when President Carter was running for re-election against Ronald Reagan, the Misery Index had reached an all-time high of 21.98%. Carter lost the election to Reagan.
[edit] Misery index - era by U.S president
Index = Unemployment rate + Inflation rate Rank↓ President↓ Time Period↓ Average↓ Low High Start↓ End↓ Change↓
4 Harry Truman 1948–1952 7.88 Dec 1952 = 3.45 Jan 1948 = 13.63 13.63 3.45 -10.28
1 Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953–1960 6.26 Jul 1953 = 2.97 Apr 1958 = 10.98 3.28 7.96 +4.68
3 John F. Kennedy 1961–1962 7.14 Jul 1962 = 6.40 Jul 1961 = 8.38 8.31 6.82 -1.49
2 Lyndon B. Johnson 1963–1968 6.77 Nov 1965 = 5.70 Jul 1968 = 8.19 7.02 8.12 +1.10
8 Richard Nixon 1969–1973 10.57 Jan 1969 = 7.80 Dec 1973 = 13.61 7.80 17.01 +9.21
10 Gerald Ford 1974–1976 14.93 Dec 1976 = 12.66 Jan 1975 = 19.90 16.36 12.66 -3.70
11 Jimmy Carter 1977–1980 20.27 Apr 1978 = 12.60 Jun 1980 = 21.98 12.72 19.72 +7.00
9 Ronald Reagan 1981–1988 11.19 Dec 1986 = 7.70 Sep 1981 = 19.33 19.99 9.72 -10.27
7 George H. W. Bush 1989–1992 9.68 Sep 1989 = 9.64 Nov 1990 = 12.47 10.07 10.30 +0.23
6 Bill Clinton 1993–2000 8.80 Apr 1998 = 5.74 Jan 1993 = 10.56 10.56 7.29 -3.27
5 George W. Bush 2001–2008 8.10 Oct 2006 = 5.71 Aug 2008 = 11.47 7.93 7.29 -0.64
N/A Barack Obama 2009–Present
Incomplete data
Data updated through October 2010 10.04 July 2009 = 7.30
index offset by negative inflation (-2.10) Dec 2009 = 12.72 7.73 10.77 +3.04

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Lobo, do you still have the link for that data? The cut and paste makes it a little difficult to read and compare easily. I assume it is formatted nicely at the original source.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
It's a bit simple minded, but here is a list by president. The metric is

misery index=unemployment rate + inflation rate.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It's pretty clear, interesting stuff. I mean Balducci is correct a nicer cleaner version would be nice but the data is limited.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-12-12 18:08, balducci wrote:
Lobo, do you still have the link for that data? The cut and paste makes it a little difficult to read and compare easily. I assume it is formatted nicely at the original source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misery_index_%28economics%29

Sorry about that.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » So what's the best income tax rate? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..21~22~23 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL