The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Thoughts on Bob Cassidy’s ’Scorpio’s Message’ (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
This is no review.

These are my thoughts on Bob Cassidy’s ebook ’Scorpio’s Message’ – so I assume that this thread belongs to the ’Penny for your Thoughts’ section; who offers me a penny? Or at least his two cents?

This ebook offers wisdom and insights in the Q&A topic – so far, so predictable. I mean – who is the author? What would you expect from Bob Cassidy but wisdom and insights?

What’s the news value of this ebook? I don’t refer to the fact that its original limited release was in 2003. I refer to the content itself!
Well, the news value of all those subtle details and aspects obviously depend on the previous knowledge and experience of the reader. I guess I personally have some knowledge and experience on the topic; and yes, there are thoughts and insights in this ebook that are familiar to me.
Nonetheless the context and the framework Bob builds up to clarify his thoughts induce aha-moments in each and every part of the prefixed deliberations to the routine itself (“Exhibits” One to Four).

Even if you wouldn’t read the Q&A act to which those deliberations lead to: the preliminaries alone are gold!
There are discussions concerning an overlooked flaw in mentalism’s major effect, thoughts on the nature of illusion, remarks on ‘Relevance’ – and obviously an eye-opening conclusion of the realizings resulting from those reflections.

As I said: even those pages before it comes to the concrete description of the ‘Scorpio’s Message’ Q&A act are worth the price of the manuscript!

Apart from any technical realization: the act itself has a very clever approach concerning the premise and the self-presentation of the performer. Bob found a wonderful synthesis between being somewhat ‘psychic’ and delimitating himself from ‘real’ psychic abilities.
He induces the best of what you can induce in mentalism from my not authoritative point of view: he induces doubts, uncertainty - suspense!

A brilliant mixture of seriousness and humor, genuineness and subtle irony offers possibilities for identifications to believers as well as skeptics / non-believers. This is meant for the personality of a mentalist who is considering adapting Bob’s ‘Scorpio’s Message’ act as well as for attendees who participate in a corresponding performance.
This balancing act alone is brilliant!

The Q&A routine itself is structured in an extremely clever way. Each step of the performance is explained with all psychological nuances and motivations. There is left nothing to chance.

The ‘Answer’-readings that obviously make a (the) crucial point of each Q&A act offer convincing advantages on several layers:
  • They cover astonishing individual ‘truths’ as a matter of fact which will be confirmed by the participant.

• They induce a personal uniqueness of the performer (he will be remembered!) by a very clever presentational twist.

• And last not least they involve nearly each and every attendee!
    Other kinds of Q&A acts often lack integration and identifications of more than a few members of the audience.
    Bob found a presentational twist that covers even this aspect.

During your readings you’re able to tell the audience members particular and individual facts and ‘truths’. The method to achieve this is bold – and absolute convincing regarding its simplicity; I’m very pleased that Bob limits his technical deliberations to the indispensable.
I’m grateful about this just because a mentalist who wants to perform a Q&A act is obviously an experienced one. And experienced performers have their own collection of methods. Ascertaining needed informations shouldn’t be the issue.

That said I have to admit that the method Bob suggests is brilliant in its bold cleverness. It’s so easy and so convincing.
Nonetheless ‘Scorpio’s Message’ goes far beyond an ebook that is limited to a method – and I appreciative this very much. My appreciation results from the fact that Bob’s deliberations that reflect context and premise as well as psychological subtleties and presentational framework are worth much more than any ‘new’ technical solution.

Apart from this ebook contains an appendix with ‘Base Readings’ and a few useful informations that help to beautify your act.

Oh, and as part of the chapter ‘The Blending …’ Bob offers one of the most useful lines to clarify my position as a performer of an Q&A act I read for a long time! Wonderful!
I won’t quote this line here – because I want as less colleagues as possible to use it; but thanks a lot, Bob! I hope the majority of your readers skip this line, … Smile

Overall – Bob Cassidy’s ‘Scorpio’s Message’ is a product full of brilliant thoughts of highest value. And more than this: each and every paragraph tells you that it’s a real worker! No writing desk ideas, no bubbles of air or brain farts – this is material created by experience in practice.

Highly recommended!

Those were my thoughts on Bob Cassidy’s ebook ’Scorpio’s Message’ – so I assume that this thread belongs to the ’Penny for your Thoughts’ section; who offers me a penny? Or at least his two cents? Smile

Cheers
Th.
Damon Reinbold
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Damon Reinbold
I'd even part with a nickle or dime! Bob Nelson, who was a dear friend, would really be proud of this.

Damon
Damon Reinbold
<BR>2011 President, S.A.M. Assembly 71
<BR>2011 President, IBM Ring 90
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
Thomas,

That review was as literate and intelligently thought-out as Dr. Bob's writing and thoughts in the book.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
NO no, wasn't a review! Only THOUGHTS on the manuscript. ...thoughts.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Like the rest of the Rt. Rev. Dr. Bob's creations, Scorpio's Message reflects his insight and the experience that can only be gained by years or labor "in the trenches."
Dick Christian
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Thomas, thanks / danke schön.

what I like is that it feels like and looks like the real thing. technical there is no skill. you have to be an mentalism entertainer to pull this off.

the one part I have to read again and again is the lenghty introduction to understand why Mr. Cassidy introduces Q & A to his audience like he does.

Thanks Mr. Cassidy
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
743 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Ummmm....I think it is not available for purchase at the moment.....Bob???
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3044 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Quote:
On 2010-12-11 19:51, jeremysweiss wrote:
Ummmm....I think it is not available for purchase at the moment.....Bob???

Seems to be....

http://www.lybrary.com/scorpios-message-......rs_id=41
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
743 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Cool!
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
948 Posts

Profile of markhitton
Bob cassidy is one the greatest mind in mentalism
I like his stuff.
always powerful
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
527 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
I am looking forward to Bob's tele-seminar on Q&A tonight. I expect to learn a LOT!

-Mark
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Very nice. As it was my first one, I'm glad it was this one.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1899 Posts

Profile of chmara
I wish Lybrary and Bob would raise the price to keep it from being used by incompetents. I wish the essay/review above had not appeared as it reveals why I feel this is one of the major gems of mentalism and is truly audience involving. This is one of Cassidy's gems honed to perfection -- great for larger audiences 100+ up to thousands as they ALL will feel involved if presented with proper gravity and skill.

Yes, it does take work and shaking-out for the individual performer's personality -- but the results are truly astounding.

I cannot recommend this for anyone who wants professional work -- recommend it enough that is! (I figure poor mentalists with short attention spans will only read the first part of the sentence and draw the conclusion this is not for them.)

GC
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Thoughts on Bob Cassidy’s ’Scorpio’s Message’ (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL