The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Got spam in the PM (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
The title I gave this topic sounds funny, but what it's about isn't. This was different, I got a spam message in the personal messages, somebody pushing a 100. magic volume or something.
I say it's "different" because I belong to a number of forums and have never had this happen before, but then it wasn't random spam, it seemed to come from the Café admin or management or whatever.
I hit the button "report this pm"......so if I'm suddenly banned, you'll know why......
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Oh, no, it's okay. We get those from time to time from the big guy. Because we're a whole bunch of people who are into magic all in one place, he can work out special prices and things. Don't worry. It's a good thing. Doesn't happen often.

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I don't know about being "okay" or being a "good thing"......to me, it's spam, even if I were into magic.
I'm guessing "the big guy" is the owner of this site, and I figured it had to be coming from someone like that and they might not appreciate me reporting it as spam, but isn't that what they call it when you get emails trying to sell you something?
Can anyone here who's got something to sell broadcast a personal message hawking the item for sale? From something I saw in one of the threads here, we couldn't even post it within this specific forum, it would have to go in the classified section. Which is probably a good rule. And shouldn't those who make the rules follow them (unless you're a politician, then of course that wouldn't apply).
Not that I'm going to lose sleep over it, but I am glad to hear it at least doesn't happen often.

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Well...I suppose they could eliminate all the advertising and then charge us a ticket price. :-/
And the messages aren't real email, so much as they're sort of messages from headquarters through the speaking tube.
It's true, there's nothing in these messages about vent, but there are more magicians here than ventriloquists.

Sometimes they announce a special interview with somebody prominent in the magic field and tell us when to write in with questions.

Doesn't bother me so much.
Maybe it's the Zoloft.
:)
-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Quote:
Sometimes they announce a special interview with somebody prominent in the magic field and tell us when to write in with questions.

Now that's a good thing, they're announcing a "special event" sort of thing that might be of interest to the majority of the membership.
And although PMs aren't real email, they are in a sense, a forum's email system.
But like I say, I'm not losing sleep over it (yes, I know it's 1:20 a.m., but I work graveshift and on my nights off I still stay up all night).

CaptKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of CaptKirk
PM's from the "Big Guy" don't bother me at all. Small price to pay, IF you view it as such, to have such a GREAT Vent forum to belong to and socialize with, IMHO:o)
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Spam is unwanted email that is sent to your personal email account without your request.

The Magic Café is a forum privately owned and operated by Steve Brooks. Steve is the only person who can send a Broadcast Message in the PM section. Since it is his forum and you pay no fee to use it, it would seem to me that he is perfectly entitled to send Broadcast Messages on his forum as he pleases.

You are under no obligation to act on the messages or even open and/or read them for that matter.

Steve is NOT sending spam on his owm forum.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Blueshawk1, do you know how much do you need to spend to run this forum? My last calculation was something like at least $1,000+ per month and the costs are increasing every time.

And, he's not even charging a membership fee to cover his cost.

All he asks is for us to click on the sponsor's banner and buy some stuff from the sponsors, or to buy some stuff from the PMs that he has sent.

So it's not SPAM. I would say, it's because of Steve, we are able to gather ventriloquists around the world to chat and discuss the fine art of ventriloquism.
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Got spam in the PM (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL