The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Voyager (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
This is kind of neat .. I sorta forgot about Voyager after Star Trek: The Motion Picture:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11988466
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Nice article. Thanks.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Fascinating.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Fine, just leave the solar system... We don't want you here anyhow! See if we call you anymore. Stupid probe...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Thanks balducci.

- Mary Mowder
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
The article failed to mention about the gold-plated phonograph records titled "Sounds of Earth" that are attached to the Voyager spacecraft. The records contain recordings of "hello" spoken in many, many languages. There are also pictures stored on the disc, bits of music from classical to rock-and-roll, and a simple diagram/map of our planet's location in reference to the Sun. I wonder if someone or something will ever find those spacecraft billions of years from now?

Information about the records is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-12-18 16:31, hoodrat wrote:
The article failed to mention about the gold-plated phonograph records titled "Sounds of Earth" that are attached to the Voyager spacecraft. The records contain recordings of "hello" spoken in many, many languages. There are also pictures stored on the disc, bits of music from classical to rock-and-roll, and a simple diagram/map of our planet's location in reference to the Sun. I wonder if someone or something will ever find those spacecraft billions of years from now?

Information about the records is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record
And whether or not they'll have a set of Tecnics 1200 turntables to play it with...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
V'ger...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2010-12-18 16:37, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-18 16:31, hoodrat wrote:

And whether or not they'll have a set of Tecnics 1200 turntables to play it with...

There's also a simplistic diagram of what is needed to play the recording. That's why they used a record as opposed to a tape (I don't think digital information had progressed far enough when V'ger and its ilk were launched.) It was decided that a analog recording would have a better chance of being reproduced.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Species - obviously the Voyager probe is a distress call to get help with the problem described in the data.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Voyager (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL