The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Rising Chest Lid - Any Ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
davidj40
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of davidj40
I would like to make a small wooden box where the lid rises but am having trouble coming up with a good working mechanism.

I tried a music box movement and some string, but have not had any success. Any ideas out there?
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
If you mean the lid opens- I did it the easy way.
I put a screw (sticking out)in the back of the lid and put a thread from it's end to the bottom of the box. Just swipe you thumb across the thread and the lid will open.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/....../box.jpg
trixy
View Profile
Veteran user
sweden
320 Posts

Profile of trixy
I have the same problem but for me I'll set down the box on a wooden pedestal or the like. I have a routine in which two ideas on how the lid can open and close. Thus a routine where I can use two different events due end the solution I can help.

Thought number one: The lid is opened slowly atomatiskt and will then be closed atomatiskt for example 15 seconds in between.

Thought number two: The lid can be opened by hand, but must be shut atomatiskt and that too with a 15 seconds in between.

The box should be so that the lid is opened to spectators, the drawer opening is against me.

I've been thinking about some little tiny gas damper to Funcionamento but how do you turn on when atomatiskt. Also, given numemr two to open by hand and have some sort of reverse gas damper that closes the drawer softly that may in time be filled by pulling out a pin with such a rope attached to a belt that is easy to unhook. or mechanical or wire to the box from my belt as I stand behind the box, but what are your solutions. Ideally I'd like to get the box to be opened and closed atomatiskt.
davidj40
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of davidj40
The screw and thread idea sounds interesting. I am thinking about a way to have the music box movement wind up the thread. I would have the on and off switch sticking slightly out of the back and I would move it to activate it, but my hands would not be near the box when the lid was rising. I will give this a shot and let you know if it works. Thanks.
trixy
View Profile
Veteran user
sweden
320 Posts

Profile of trixy
I like the ide but I must have the box the outher way the lid open the outer way how shall I do it?
davidj40
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of davidj40
Not sure what you mean about the lid opening the other way. Is it a front opening?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Die Boxes are usually opened with the front facing away from the audience (to place the shell inside), then reversed to face the audience.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
trixy
View Profile
Veteran user
sweden
320 Posts

Profile of trixy
Hi
In the drawing http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/....../box.jpg the box is open to the audiens I like to have it open tho outher way....to me the performer.. Did any have a nice ide?
davidj40
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of davidj40
Trixy, I understand now, hmmm, would have to think about it.
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
165 Posts

Profile of rhiro
I modified a small wooden box to present an engagement ring to my girlfriend last year. I used a programmable microcontroller driving a micro servo. I had her hold the box, snapped my fingers, and it opened in her hands. It worked well, though the motion was a bit jerky, you can hear the servo in quiet surroundings, and you couldn't watch from behind without seeing the mechanics. But an engagement ring is strong misdirection, I've discovered, so it didn't matter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vDS7-K2ULA

Ross
trixy
View Profile
Veteran user
sweden
320 Posts

Profile of trixy
Quote:
On 2010-12-17 19:59, rhiro wrote:
I modified a small wooden box to present an engagement ring to my girlfriend last year. I used a programmable microcontroller driving a micro servo. I had her hold the box, snapped my fingers, and it opened in her hands. It worked well, though the motion was a bit jerky, you can hear the servo in quiet surroundings, and you couldn't watch from behind without seeing the mechanics. But an engagement ring is strong misdirection, I've discovered, so it didn't matter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vDS7-K2ULA

Ross

This is what I looking fore and like in the movie my box are turn the same way to the audiense.. BUT can it be reverse so it close to? Or only close so I open the box by hand?
You wrote about microcontroller driving a micro servo and I live in sweden and I cant any thing about microcontroller driving a micro servo so do you have any picture at this thing or even better any website there I can se it?
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
165 Posts

Profile of rhiro
Yes, the microcontroller can be programmed to open and close the box any number of times, at different speeds, with pauses, etc. I used a BASIC Stamp 1 from Parallax (www.parallax.com) connected to a Hitec HS-81 hobby servo (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXN676). I powered the Stamp with a 9V battery that had the case removed and the cells rearranged in order for everything to fit inside the gift box.

BTW, I originally tried a much simpler approach with my box. I replaced the 1/16" diameter solid pin in the hinges with brass tubing, and passed through the tubing a bent piece of music wire to serve as a torque rod. This caused the box lid to spring open on its own. I had a length of thread attached to the lid of the box, and I could keep the lid shut by pinching the thread between my fingers and the side wall of the lower portion of the box. By releasing pressure on the thread, I could make the box open. It worked but I decided I wanted a cleaner, a hands-off presentation, so I went with the electronics.

Ross
trixy
View Profile
Veteran user
sweden
320 Posts

Profile of trixy
But you cant get it to close atomatic only open or do you think you can us it to close to? Or just close it...
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
165 Posts

Profile of rhiro
Hi Trixy,

The simple manual approach with the torsion spring is a one-time only event. The box can open from a closed position, but I didn't design it to close again from that position.

The approach with the electronics and servo has the flexibility of opening and closing, as well as a many other options. It all depends on the program stored in the BASIC Stamp, which can be re-written and revised however many times one wishes. You program the Stamp by connecting it to a computer and downloading your program into the Stamp. Then you unplug the Stamp from the computer, and the Stamp will dutifully carry out your programmed commands on its own. There is no need to reconnect it to a computer unless you wish to change the program.

The Stamp is a really great device to have in your bag of tricks, if you are into tinkering with electronics. Some basic understanding of electronics is required, but you don't need to be an electronics engineer or a computer programmer to be able to use it. A lot of artists and non-technical hobbyists do some great things with microcontrollers like the BASIC Stamp. If you are not so inclined, you could probably fine someone local who can help you. There is also a tremendous online community of folks fanatical about the BASIC Stamp who are generally very helpful.

I received your PM and will give you more specifics on what I did once I have a chance to type something up.

Regards,

Ross
davidj40
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of davidj40
Rhiro, your idea sounds impressive and great. I like it, but not sure I have enough electronics experience to pull it off.
trixy
View Profile
Veteran user
sweden
320 Posts

Profile of trixy
I wonder if any know if the basic stamp kan programing so it tell the servo to spinn first right way and then stop for 15 sec and then start to spinn to the left? And if a servo can do that because of the engine go right or left?
davidj40
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of davidj40
I tried illusionman2's idea and it is working nicely. I tried to attach a picture, but it was too large. I have 3 of the boxes so it shows the working. If you would like a picture, send me your email address and I will send them. The effect is a ring, signed coin, etc. is vanished only to reappear in a locked box inside an outer box, for which the lid rises. The mechanism for the lid rising is a music movement which has a string which can be pulled and then retracts. The string moves through a small hole in the rear of the box and is attached to an eyelet screw which is on the back of the lid. The on/off switch also comes out of the rear of the box. Depending on where you tie the string, the delay can be short or long after you bring the box from your briefcase. Both boxes are lippinkott type boxes with the gimmick side door. The outer box is a simple pressure fit. The inner box is gimmicked with magnets to ensure the door closes flush. Also, thanks to rhiro who has an electronic way to accomplish the rising lid. I have ordered the parts for this type mechanism and will try it when they come in.
trixy
View Profile
Veteran user
sweden
320 Posts

Profile of trixy
I got al the help now from some people here but the illusionman2 ide id god but its the wrong way for me and I need to do it with electronik. Thanks for al help I already got.
trixy
View Profile
Veteran user
sweden
320 Posts

Profile of trixy
This is my box...the second movie is with 10 seconds dealey

What do you think....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc0HD8FlY5w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EfGGTOcHcI
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
How wonderful!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Rising Chest Lid - Any Ideas (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL