The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Random Thoughts on Evangelism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I felt so very blessed to be asked to do a "Gospel magic" program this month for the Kalamazoo Gospel Mission (large homeless shelter). Wonderful setting- about 150 there- on a stage with a good sound system. The mixed age audience wanted to see the program, they were used to hearing personal testimonies, and "expected" to hear a Christian presentation of some sort. After doing an initial comedy live rabbit production, Barry Mitchell's Can Opener, Metamorpho Spots, Kovari Chinese sticks, Eye Gotcha!, etc.- very easy to then to transition into a personal testimony and a cube on release Gospel explanation ala http://www.livingwaters.com and http://www.needGod.com I think the same would apply to any "church", Sunday School or prison setting for a Gospel magic program.

However, "evangelism" is often not "easy"- especially when attempting to talk to unchurched adults or to those who would rarely darken the door of a church. I am currently reading through a 2003 paperback book that won "The Gold Medallion Book Award" entitled: "Permission Evangelism: When to Talk When to Walk" by Michael L. Simpson (published by David C. Cook) that addresses head on some of these fearful issues --- sharing one's faith with those who would not just walk into magic show being held as part of a church banquet. I can recommend this information packed book already based on what I have read so far- I think the author's constructive ideas are helpful--- especially if/when a performer perhaps initially is using close-up magic as a conversation starter to hopefully evolve into a personal opportunity to share one's faith. I saw that at the bookstore at Moody Bible Institute that one of the professors there is using this book as a classroom text. My guess is the LifeWay Bookstore on Moody's Campus (on LaSalle Street downtown Chicago) could mail you the $14.99 book if interested in ordering it from them- there is a stack of them in the student book section downstairs.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
FYI: LifeWay bookstore (on Moody's campus): 312-664-0799: will mail the above recommended book for an extra $6.00 postage charge if you are interested in it.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
That's great to hear! Smile

This is what I believe.

As Christians we are all called to be witnesses for Christ.

Being a Christian witness is sharing our faith in Christ, giving our testimony about what God has done for us, and what He's done to change our lives.

A Christian must be first called by God to be an effective Evangelist. An Evangelist is a missionary preacher who preaches the Word to unbelievers.

When we are called by God, He also gifts us to be able to carry out His calling for our lives. It is not what we learn in Bible College, or even books that make us effective Evangelists. It's our devotion and commitment to serving God. God really does provide everything we need to be effective. But not all of us trust God enough to provide everything.

I'm also not a big fan of modern evangelism. I believe modern evangelism is the biggest reason why we have so many false conversions.

I might pick up the book out of curiosity, but most of the time I find books on such a topic to be based on either social influences, (the kind that can be considered underhanded manipulation) or psychological manipulations. For example; the author will talk about ways to control a conversation, how to change the subject, how to make the person think they are the ones bringing up the conversation, and many more ploys and techniques that I do not agree with.

I'd rather keep my trust in God to continue to equip me. There is no better sacrifice than for us to offer ourselves to God. This includes surrendering our lives, both spiritual and physical, to Almighty God, who is Creator over us all. Hebrews 13:21 says that Jesus will "equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen."

Keep up the good work MagicBus. And, have yourself a Merry Christmas!
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Angio333
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Angio333
I tend to use the "Way of the Master" method when doing evangelism. It seems tough, but you will be surprised by how many conversations where you share the Gospel that you get into. Praise God!
- C
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
Angio333 -

I have spent some time with Ray Comfort, even watched him gather a crowd at the beach. The method is very effective, but in my work, I find the message is great, but there is another way to deliver it...especially when dealing with younger people. I ask the question, "Have you ever lied?" When they say "yes" I say, "Me too...do you know what that makes me? A liar." Instead of calling them a liar, you are calling both of you liars...but they conclude in their own minds of course that they are liars...you don't have to say it. And you keep going. Yes, it isn't a confrontational, but I'm doing it as part of an illusion...not to gather a crowd as Ray does.

I don't know about false conversions...what percentage of the folks who say "yes" to an invitation are truly saved. Only God knows that. We are to be faithful delivering the message.

Remember...Noah, a good man, spent many years trying to get others to join him and there were no takers. Jonah reluctantly went to town, and the whole place got saved. It is God, not us, that changes hearts.

However, I do agree that when we share the gospel, it needs to be explained clearly...not sugar coated...or "Gospel-Lite."
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 09:36, Kif Anderson wrote:
Angio333 -

I don't know about false conversions...what percentage of the folks who say "yes" to an invitation are truly saved. Only God knows that. We are to be faithful delivering the message.

Sorry Kif, but the Bible does tell us how we will recognize false conversion. By their fruit we will know. Matthew 7:16 says, "Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?" KJV

This is one of the problems with some churches today. rather than pay attention and open their spiritual eyes, they instantly use the cop-out by saying only God knows. It's true that Only God knows our heart, but we can tell if someone converted for the right reasons or not, and we can surely tell if someone is a Christian or not by the fruit they bare. The Bible tells us so.

We should all know what the state of our churches are in. Especially north amarican protestant churches. Only God knows, only God knows! How long will we kling to such an excuses while our youth continue to parish because we keep saying only God knowsÉ
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
Gospel Dan -

When I go to a church and we give an invitation at the end of the program, then turn over the folks to the churches group to pray with them and give them some materials, I have no way of knowing how many were true conversions...because I'm not around to observe the fruit. That is what I meant.

At Harvest Crusades, I've heard that after a year, less than 10 percent of the people who come down to the field to accept Christ are active in churches. But I don't care how many come forward falsely...if just one comes to the Lord...it was worth it. And I know the numbers are a whole lot higher than that.

><> J
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
While Dan is correct in his use of that scripture, I understand what Kif is saying. Moreover, it's not just because of the limited time spent with them.

I live in an area that has been called “the Buckle of the Bible Belt”. When I’m out with a group doing street ministry, it’s always a shock to the first timers; those people know more Bible than most of us! They’ve heard it all before (MANY times!), and they’re street-smart, as in, they know how to “play” us.

The point is, we have people just like that IN the churches as well, people who function just like the rest of us. They’re present in every service, they lift their hands during praise and worship, they can often be found working in some area of ministry, and they can turn out some pretty convincing fruit.

But they haven’t really turned over control of their lives to the Master (Jesus isn’t just Savior, He’s also Lord, which means Somebody we are supposed to obey). It’s only after getting to know these people really well that you can begin to pick up signs of a “compartmentalized” lifestyle.

In sure that’s what Dan’s referring to by knowing the state of our churches. But without direct guidance from the Holy Spirit, we have only our own judgment to go by, and I’d hate to be judged by somebody like me!

Deliverance is different for every person. I know of one couple who got born again out of a truly heathen lifestyle. It didn’t occur to them that what they were doing was wrong. For the first few weeks (this is from their personal testimony) they’d smoke a joint before coming to church. After a while God began to convict them, and they stopped.

If I’d looked upon them with my own carnal eyes, I’d have judged that nothing had changed in their lives. In fact, if somebody had stepped in using their own “wisdom” they could have offended this couple and we’d never have seen them again, and probably not even have known why.

Some people can have a hard time struggling with sin, and still love God with all their hearts. The only thing we’re commanded to do is Love them. If there are tares growing with the wheat, God is the only One Who can separate them.

He gave us a job to do, and He reserved part of the work for Himself. We are responsible for doing our own job, and we’re also responsible for knowing when to get out of God’s way!

“Lord fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff
Then stop me when I’ve said enough!”
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
One of my current day faith heros is George Verwer, founder of one of the largest missions organizations in the world: Operation Mobilization. See http://www.GeorgeVerwer.com George was saved at a Billy Graham Crusade at Madison Square Garden.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Random Thoughts on Evangelism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL