The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Switchblade the amazing(and extremely versatile) new card gimmick from Dan Harlan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Okay, a lot has come up here since I've been away, so let's get to it:

Gospel Dan -- Thanks for the classic, over-the-top hyperbole! I've been trying to keep my sense of humor about this and you certainly helped.

heyjude -- I appreciate your support. You are experiencing our art (and this particular trick) from a fresh perspective. I would envy you, but it's a sin.

Piz -- I hope you won't be disappointed, but I don't teach a classic force on the vid. Aceofharts misspoke. I teach my favorite force which dates all the way back to Hofzinser, at least.

Dave -- The gimmicks are not identical. I've looked at the one you sent me and there are definitely differences in the way Jerry and I have realized the same idea. To me though, these differences are inconsequential. The concept is the same.

To everybody else -- That's what this all comes down to... the concept is the same. Both gimmicks deal with the "dirty bit" in the same way. Yes, I have explored all the variations I could conjure and kept the ones I liked, but the concept is the key. Jerry deserves credit for having the idea and putting in the work to realize it. Having a good idea is hard enough... working to realize it is the real challenge. We need to support creators if we hope to grow as performers. "Switchblade" is a product that does what it claims and is worth what it costs, though we now know it is a pre-existing concept. Jerry will be compensated and I will move on. I have no interest in continuing to produce "Switchblade." No custom orders.

Finally, a personal note of thanks to my manager, my producer and the distributors who have been completely supportive. On to bigger and better things!
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Yeah sorry Piz and good catch Dan, what I said was "He teaches his favorite classic force as well" not the card force called the classic force but a very good force that is old but I did not know how to word that. Sorry about the confusion on that. However personally I like it much better then "the classic force".

Thanks
Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
I met Dan Harlan only one time at a Magic Convention in New York City maybe 20 years ago. The convention schedule was running behind and during Dan's packed lecture the next lecturer came right up on Dan's platform and told him it is time for his lecture to begin so Dan should stop.

None of this was Dan's fault but Dan said he would cut his lecture very short and just wanted to quickly finish up.

After just a couple minutes this other magician / lecturer loudly and rudely asked Dan to stop immediately.

Dan politely said no problem and told everyone he was sorry to cut this short but please come see him at his booth for any questions or instruction about his work.

Dan stayed calm and cool during this whole unfortunate situation. He was a gentleman then and is a gentleman now.

Also, It's very easy to forget the incredible magical creations Dan has offered to the magic community after many many years. So to reming everyone, here is a list of some of Dan's work. I know that most close workers have some if not all of this material. Thank You Dan for continuing to offer us your magical creations........

Cardtoon
Starcle
The Awakening
Hover Card
Traveling Cash
Crazy 8
Royal Oil
Missing Think
Pip Art
My Word
Mind Surf
Red Rover
Hold It Buster

DVD Sets

Mindbogglers
Band Shark
Ult. Impromptu Magic
Premium Blend
Rubberbands 3 Vol's
Harlan Live
Pack's Small, Play's Big

& The Minotaur Magazine
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I've picked up switchblade as I want the handlings offered on the DVD.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
What did people think of the bonus routine?
P3
practice practice perform.
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1351 Posts

Profile of Piz
Quote:
On 2011-01-01 15:49, aceofharts wrote:
Yeah sorry Piz and good catch Dan, what I said was "He teaches his favorite classic force as well" not the card force called the classic force but a very good force that is old but I did not know how to word that. Sorry about the confusion on that. However personally I like it much better then "the classic force".

Thanks
Floyd

No worries. All I do is the CF and a couple others, even better that he teaches his fav force, the more in my arsenal the better Smile

takeachance: That was my reasoning for ordering SwitchBlade as-well, nothing beats the whole package. Smile

Paul
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Nice problem solving here Dan!
It deserves the highest respect.

Iam intruiged by such tools.
Is it possible to transfer a normal deck into
a mirrage deck by using just one gimmick.

spectator chooses a card and put it unseen
by himself facedown on a pile of cards. The
face of the choosen card changes to a force card??

Possible (espescially if handeled by a volunteer?)

Best regards,
Martin
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
612 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Mine should be here in the morning...Loookin forward!
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Dan.
I've Swichbalde on order from Hocus Pocus.
Dan you are a classy guy.
Dan is the man.
Tricky Ricky
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I would like to remind all , the spectator can take the card, or it can be handed to them,
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Picking this up next week- will share thoughts when I get it.
Dan- appreciate your professionalism in dealing with the situation!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
OK- got this yesterday- watched the DVD and: I REALLY like this! Dan does a great job in the DVD with the instructions and REAL live performances with the switchblade. The routines are nicely put together and the quality of the DVD is good. Now the switchblade card: I WILL DEFINATELY use this. The gimmick is VERY nicely made and looks GREAT. Under close scrutiny- this still might pass- that's how nice this gimmick is put together. I love the idea of no threads to worry about breaking. I fell for $25.00 this is a GREAT buy. I would like to buy another one since Dan said he is going to quit making these. (Oh Dan- please do not stop making these!) Oh yea- to use this little gem- VERY EASY! That's the icing on the cake for me! Do yourself a favor- hurry and get this while you can!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I should be getting this in the mail soon. Is there anyway we can just buy the gimmicks without buying the DVD. I'm afraid I might like it and want to use it forever and ever. Do they teach how to make the gimmick? It's a sad thing it's going to be limited.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Do what I did. Order Switchblade AND Perfect Monte. Now I'll support both creators, have two gimmicks, and get all of Dan's new thinking on the gimmick. Best of all worlds.

Mike
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Have got mine today. Nice one - clever thinking!
Sadly it fell apart within minutes, but could fix it in within seconds ;-)

Recommended!
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
This is a very cool gimmick and the full routine Dan teaches on the DVD is killer. I have performed it (minus the ghost card bit) several times now and it plays very strong. It will take some practice to handle the gimmick smoothly but it's not hard.
The real world performances on the DVD are entertaining to watch and informative since you get to see how Dan performs this in a bar setting.
(a)ndy
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
164 Posts

Profile of (a)ndy
Quote:
On 2011-01-15 11:21, CardMaker wrote:

Yes, but you ARE the CardMaker!

Do you think the rest of us mere mortals could repair or remake the gimmick?

Thanks for your input.
(a)ndy
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
164 Posts

Profile of (a)ndy
Quote:

Thanks for your input.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Quote:
On 2011-01-21 16:28, (a)ndy wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for your input.

Repairung is easy - very, very easy!
Remake the gimmick? Why should one? It is a marketed item which can be bought again and again.
Technically spoken: you can make one for yourself; also with ease.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
I bought Jerry Somerdin's Perfect Monte and then bought Dan Harlan's Switchblade. There are some differences in the materials received. Just a note, I haven't watched the DVD yet.

PM gives you one page of written instructions.
SB gives you an instructional DVD

PM gives you everything you need to perform the effect right out of the package.
SB gives you only the gimmick. You supply the other cards needed for the effect.

PM: the gimmick is loose. This caused me initials problems in activating the gimmick. I had to play around with placement, but once I found where it worked, I haven't had a problem.
SB: the gimmick is, or at least seems to be, fastened inside. Works fine first time, every time. (you'll know what I mean if you have one of these)

PM: The gimmick has no back layer
SB: The gimmick has a back layer.
NOTE: having a back or not doesn't matter in the visuals of the trick, however it does make a difference in the thickness and action of the gimmick. SB moves smoother right out of the box. PM needed a little working in to make it smooth.

PM: Due to the construction of the gimmick, the gaff seems to stay together pretty well. Handling the gimmick is worry free once it's been retracted. Also, right out of the packaging and for the past couple of weeks, the cards are pretty flat. You can lay the card on the table and nobody should notice anything wrong with it. There is a slight bumpage on the surface of the card over the area where the gaff is, but I think that would fly by most people. I have to hold in the light just right to see it. In fact, I took another look at the card just now, thought I spotted the area and realized that I was looking at the wrong side of the card.
SB: There is a noticable gap in the gaff. Also, right out of the box, there is a bow to the cards. A natural bow, but a bow nonetheless that does nothing to help hide the gaffus gap. I'd be a little careful in how I lay these cards on a table...if I do lay these cards on a table.

Those are the differences that I found. Pick your weapon wisely. While I do like the smooth action of the SB and the fact that it's fastened in place, if both were readily available, I'd buy another PM.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Switchblade the amazing(and extremely versatile) new card gimmick from Dan Harlan (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL