The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2010 entrée: Norman Beck » » The right way to learn card magic and more questions... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gourdini
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of gourdini
Kindly, what are your feelings on the correct way to learn card magic? Do you think the student should follow a certain course- should they read Erdnase- if so when?

For example here is the general path that I took-

Now you see it now you don't by Bill Tarr-

Royal Road to Card Magic

Encyclopedia of Card Tricks

Harry Lorayne's Close Up Card Magic

Expert Card Technique

The Cardician by Ed Marlo

and then I splintered off in various other areas-

I have never owned any of the Card College books but that might be a good way...

What are your favorite controlls forces and how do you most often execute the DL?
Norman Beck
View Profile
V.I.P.
106 Posts

Profile of Norman Beck
A very good question. I don't know that any one path is better than another. I think the best way to learn is to have a mentor. You need someone who is or has done it for 40 years. I have been very lucky in that I have had some of if not the best in the world. (THat is in the eyes of the person speaking.) I got into magic and was in Tulsa Ok the first good magician I ever saw was a guy named George Tops, Pete Peterson ran the magic shop, and I sought out people that I could tell were good. I think the Card College Books are good. I like some of the older books that might bore some of you but as far as my double lift. I do one taught by a good friend of mine Bob White. A great magician. As to for a force I always classic force or I sometimes do a little one handed deal thing. I think that Erdnase is the BIble and that one could lead a life based on some of the things talked about in it. As for card magic and learing if you can force a card, control a card, do a top change, a dbl lift and a palm. DO them all well you can get along just fine.
gourdini
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of gourdini
Thanks for answering all my questions in a straightforward manner. Some people feel the need to pontificate here- I like the simple way you answer the questions. Yeah...now I seem to remember the one handed deal thing from the lecture- is it in print?
Norman Beck
View Profile
V.I.P.
106 Posts

Profile of Norman Beck
It is in print I'm my lecture notes and in one of the Card Calvacade books
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2010 entrée: Norman Beck » » The right way to learn card magic and more questions... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL