The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Melting tea spoons made from gallium (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pcentauri
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of pcentauri
I came across this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIbYiO5BRYk on youtube; someone melting a spoon from the metal Gallium in hot water.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Very interesting!!

Steve
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5646 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Yes, quite interesting!

Instead of Gallium I would prefer Field's metal due to its higher melting point.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
From the same website Field's metal is also available.

Steve
Bietfriek
View Profile
Elite user
Banned after
497 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
That indeed looks very nice....
I also think this guy is located in The Netherlands.
Would be nice to first bend the spoon and then melting it.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Hey I'm also in the Netherlands.
That's handy

Steve
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
These spoons have been around since I was a kid, available at joke shops and advertised in the back of comic books. The idea was to give the spoon to a guest who was having coffee (or tea), so they could stir their drink. Then, without warning their spoon melts.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3220 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Are you sure? I've never seen one in a joke shop or comic book ad. I think they would be a difficult item to stock. The metal is brittle and melts at body temperature.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2010-12-16 20:12, prestopresto wrote:
Are you sure? I've never seen one in a joke shop or comic book ad. I think they would be a difficult item to stock. The metal is brittle and melts at body temperature.

I'm sure, in spite of your apparent belief you've been in every joke shop in the world and read every comic book ad over the last 45 years.

Just to push the point home, here's a link to an article published in The New Yorker, January 12, 1935 (p. 44:)

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1935/01......00157746

Note that the abstract reads:
Quote:
Article about the catalogue of "surprising novelties," by Johnson Smith & Company, Racine, Wisconsin. "Puzzles, Joke Goods, Tricks, and Useful Articles. Mentions trick things such as Plate Lifter, Noiseless Soup Spoon, Dribble glass, Squirt Electric Button, Waterspout Joke, Surprise Salt Shaker, Melting Spoon, etc.

Yup, I'm sure.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5646 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2010-12-16 09:02, steveline wrote:

From the same website Field's metal is also available.

Steve, Thank you!

Smile
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4933 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
You are too young then. I used to see these at "The Funshop" in Corpus Christi Texas when I was a youngster.
Johnson's made them. They melt in hot water, not body temp.
James

Quote:
On 2010-12-16 20:12, prestopresto wrote:
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
AllanK
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
195 Posts

Profile of AllanK
I, too, remember these from my childhood - I did not know that they were made of gallium. However, I never bought one because I feared that the molten metal could be accidentally swallowed. Even if not swallowed, I was not sure that the tea or coffee could be safely consumed. In those days, there were no safety warnings! I wonder how safe this gag really is?

It occurs to me that a little statue that was made of this metal could be made to vanish by placing it on a secretly heated stand. The base of the stand would be perforated to allow the metal to drain away. Just a thought!
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
I'm trying to figure out why magicians/mentalists would think this was interesting. Do you think you can amaze people with this? Even if they haven't heard of the old novelty, it looks like the kind of thing you could find in a joke shop. It's amusing for a moment, but certainly not amazing. The logical conclusion to this is "it's one of those trick spoons that melts when you put it in hot water". What would the follow up reactions be? "Can you use my spoon?" "Can you use my fork?"
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
The reason it's interesting is not necessarily in it's ability to mimmick a spoon.

Imagine, perhaps a medallion cast from this.
With some ingenuity Koran's medallion effect could indeed be "engraved" rather than "inscribed"

Steve
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5646 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2010-12-17 09:01, steveline wrote:
The reason it's interesting is not necessarily in it's ability to mimmick a spoon.

* Imagine, perhaps a medallion cast from this.

* With some ingenuity Koran's medallion effect could indeed be "engraved" rather than "inscribed"

Steve

Good thinking! However can you please elaborate?

Thank you.

Smile
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
You can do Koran's Medallion with the medallion engraved. It's an inexpensive solution, perhaps $5.00 for lifetime supply of what is necessary, allowing you to use the same medallion over and over. It's an obvious solution, but sometimes those are the ones that are overlooked.

But I get what you're saying by taking this principle away from the obvious melting spoon.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Why a spoon ???

Just make silver coins out of this stuff and you're ready to perform.

No need for those glass discs Smile
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3220 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
AlanK wrote:
Quote:
It occurs to me that a little statue that was made of this metal could be made to vanish by placing it on a secretly heated stand. The base of the stand would be perforated to allow the metal to drain away. Just a thought!

I think I remember this being the plot of detective show. Maybe Banachek. The thief made it appear that a small stature was stolen while under tight security by using this method.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
chrismatt
View Profile
Special user
Why would you read any of my
967 Posts

Profile of chrismatt
In the Nineteenth Century, magic books contained information about an alloy, made up of several parts each of Tin, Lead and Bismuth (I don't remember the proportions), which could be used to manufacture trick spoons that would melt in hot beverages. (Basically, the alloy is a form of what we know today as solder.) Sorry to put a damper on all the fun, but heavy metal poisoning was a serious problem in those days!

CM
Details make perfection, but perfection is no detail.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-12-17 22:02, prestopresto wrote:
AlanK wrote:
Quote:

I think I remember this being the plot of detective show. Maybe Banachek. The thief made it appear that a small stature was stolen while under tight security by using this method.

Jonnathan Creek had en episode with a puzzle something like this called the "Omega Man".

A statue of an Alien skelleton was supposedly made out frozen mercury, which melted at room temperature and "vanished" into a well in the hollow base.

WHICH brings upa point. I know you wouldn't want to drink tea with mercury in it... is Gallium or Field's metal nay better for you?
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Melting tea spoons made from gallium (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL