The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Music for Zombie Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
206 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
Greetings everyone!

Anyone care to share their favorite background music during the zombie ball routine? Looking for something different...

Thanks!
John Russell
Mastering Magician
www.TheMasterMagician.net
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22650 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What type of music do you like. I can suggest only what I like and see the effect. Your style may be totally different.

I like the new Henry Evans CD "Music for Magic Shows" royality free music. It as a piece on there I see will fit the this floating ball routine, although you may not.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5119 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I use two backgrounds dependin on the show but both are done as a very deliberate and formal floating sequence. The first is Autumn leaves by Kosma the other, a little more spooky sounding is Summertime by Gershwin and Heyward. Both of my recordings are performed by the International pop Orchestra, 110 men but this album is very hard to get. I end my routine by vanishing the ball and in one show, using the Summertime background, I actually had a woman scream. It's just that kind of music and the slow vanish of the ball was just too much for her I guess. It's not spooky like halloween magic, just a little slow and eerie.
Where the magic begins
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3490 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I won't suggest a particular piece,
I'd listen to dozens if noy hundreds of piece and see what moves you.

Here is what to consider though:
--Is it short enough or can you cut it to well under a minute and a half?
--Does the music have a "lilt" or "wave" in the background the ball can "ride" on?
--Does the piece have a natural "build" in rhythm, power, or volume, then a crescendo and climax?
--Is there emotion or beauty or humor in the music, depending upon your routine?
--Is the music unique so images from commercials or move don't pop up (like chocolate or Rocky)?
--Does it have a very slow, moderate, or fast "beat" you can move with?
--Will it support the personality of your ball and your persona?
--Does it have a clear start and finish?
--Is it not too "big" you don't want a huge orchestra for a five-inch ball?
--Is it NOT under copyright?

If you keep all these ten things in mind, then start to listen everywhere,
examples from everywhere you can think,
then you'll be on the right track, this project can take months.

You may consider having a local musician(s) compose and/or record live for you too.

Magically,
Walt
sefton
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of sefton
Seeing as it's Christmas - Here is a silly, but true, story. I have always loved Zombie as an effect and many,many years age (in my youth) I had only one instrumental record in my collection - "Tommy Garret - 50 guitars visit Hawaii". I performed my whole manipulative act to Hawaiian music (It was horrible, but I didn't know any better!). However, I closed with the Zombie, performed to the very strange arrangement of "Pagan Love Song" on that record. Although I have changed both the act, and the music, many times since then, I still consider that arrangement of "Pagan Love Song" to be one of the best pieces I have ever used for the Zombie Ball.

Best wishes.

Brian S.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I think the song STRANGE MAGIC by ELO is a great song for a Zombie routine.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
I no longer perform the Zombie, but when I did I performed it to Henry Mancini's Pink Panther theme.

(Note to Walt: I satisfied eight out of ten of your considerations using that piece of music, but I was younger then and ignorant about the laws pertaining to copyright music licensing. Smile )
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
206 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
I'm learning a lot from you guys... thanks!
John Russell
Mastering Magician
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
When I performed it 2001 Space Odyssey had Just came out.
Dennis Michael
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
206 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
I'm actually leaning towards the 2001 theme done by Deodato... very electronically synthesized, and easily trimmed to fit the routine.
John Russell
Mastering Magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Music for Zombie Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL