We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » List of "plays big" effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

coincard
View Profile
New user
Paducah, Kentucky
54 Posts

Profile of coincard
I am working on a stage show for 200 people that spans the history of magic from the 1500's through present. What things play big that are small from different eras? example:

1. misers dream
2. cards across
3. cell phone in balloon...
Todd Duff

ToddDuff.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Just to get you started...
Cups and Balls
Linking Rings
Multiplying Billiard Balls
Sun and Moon (handkerchiefs)
Egg Bag
Rising Cards
Cut and Restored Rope
Productions from Hats
Cake in Hat
Color Changing Records
Silk Dyeing
Various Escapes
Chapeaugraphy

There are hundreds of such effects that can be found in any number of old books. Many are in the public domain and available free online.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22923 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Columbus Discovered America in 1492, were there any magicians that came over on the Mayflower? The Quarkers would have burned them at the stake, for being Witches.

I can only find references for magic performances in America starting in the late 1800's. It would be interesting to know who was the 1st Magician in America that actually performed magic.

I can only find references that Vaudeville spawned the necessity for entertainment and thus magic performances. It seems there is a huge gap for magic in America.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Richard Potter is the first American magician that I know of...
http://www.seacoastnh.com/Famous_People/......_Potter/
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22923 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks for that reference, Richard Potter lived from 1783 to 1835, so I think it would be safe to say that the search for magic would be the 1800 or the 19 Century. So magic is really very young as a performance art in America.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I don't see anything in the original post that limits the search to American magicians.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22923 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-12-18 11:44, Michael Baker wrote:
I don't see anything in the original post that limits the search to American magicians.

So ...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-12-17 17:17, wmhegbli wrote:
Columbus Discovered America in 1492, were there any magicians that came over on the Mayflower? The Quarkers would have burned them at the stake, for being Witches.

I can only find references for magic performances in America starting in the late 1800's. It would be interesting to know who was the 1st Magician in America that actually performed magic.

I can only find references that Vaudeville spawned the necessity for entertainment and thus magic performances. It seems there is a huge gap for magic in America.

Quarkers? I didn't know there were quantum physicists on the Mayflower.

John Rannie was performing in Boston as early as 1801. Richard Potter was performing as early as 1811.

To say that Vaudeville spawned the necessity for entertainment is a reverse argument. That's like saying that the telephone spawned the necessity for communication. If communication had not been necessary, the telephone would not have been invented.

Vaudeville was basically the creation of several major chains of agencies and theatres. There was the Chautauqua circuit, Pryor-Menz, Orpheum, and many others. The big movie theatre chains started as Vaudeville circuits. The fact that many Americans had leisure time, as limited as it might be, provided a market for entertainment.

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 2:19pm
Richard Potter was the first American-born magician to perform on US soil. John Rannie and Andrew Oehler performed in the US about 10 years before Potter did.

However, this is completely irrelevant.

The original post was really about historic magic. Magic existed LONG before the US.

Etienne is right when he says that too many Americans think that magic begins and ends on our shores. It doesn't. Many of our favorite illusions were invented overseas -- Zig-zag, Mini-Kub-Zag, Thin Model Sawing...the list is very long.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2010-12-19 14:19, Bill Palmer wrote:
Etienne is right when he says that too many Americans think that magic begins and ends on our shores. It doesn't...

However the United States did lead the magic community during the XXth Century with Dai Vernon, who left as deep an imprint in Magic as Jean Eugène Robert-Houdin had left in the XIXth century
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22923 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The original poster asked for magic that he could perform from the different time periods. I think he would have some trouble obtaining magic from the 1500's. Magic really did not kick off with abondence of tricks generally known until the 19th century. Thus I was trying to help the poster find magic he could actually have a chance at finding and performing easily.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You should read your history books, William.

The cut and restored ribbon, the cups and balls and dozens of other tricks that we still perform to this day are all mentioned, and even explained in some detail, in books that were written in the 17th century. These tricks were old when they were described. We know this, because we see them in graphics from the period.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
And he never had a six year old call out "He PALMED it!"
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Actually he had a C&Bs routine where he would have the spectators carrying the actions under his instructions. The basic principle was a sort of chop cup combo but the magnets were replaced with "graters" so that, when stacking the cups, the top one would pick up the ball.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's an interesting idea.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
[quote]On 2010-12-19 14:13, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
Quarkers? I didn't know there were quantum physicists on the Mayflower.

Bill,

Pun of the year, so far.

Snicker...
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The year is still young, and there are some who still don't get it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » List of "plays big" effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL