The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Political Labelling... huh?" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter
I have a question, how come every time someone has an opinion it has to be shoved into a political category?
It seems like every time anyone supports people helping each other that person must be a "dirty liberal," but every time someone supports the troops or national security they must be a "right wing nutjob?"
Can't people just be allowed to have their own opinions on individual questions of right and wrong without needing to sign up for the left or right mailing list?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I think they can.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20992 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I constantly get thrown out of the "Vast Right Wing Conspiracy" meetings for being too liberal.

Ask yourself this question, are you not also guilty of putting people in certain spacific boxes too?

I agree with the sentiment, and at least as important is that we sort of try to know that the person on the other side of an arguement is simply a person with another opinion. The need we have as a country to sort of make the other side evil or demonise them in some way, to make our position easier to stand on, is also troubling. PEOPLE are on the other side, not demons. Each side tries to villify the other, and make fun and make look stupid and what not and it is not healthy for actual truth finding and debate.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
Ask yourself this question, are you not also guilty of putting people in certain spacific boxes too?

On occasion, though I believe I get better at catching myself every day.
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5138 Posts

Profile of landmark
As Danny and I agree on, if nothing else:
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20992 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-12-17 17:46, landmark wrote:
As Danny and I agree on, if nothing else:

I bet shockingly enough to both of us you would find we agree far more than you may originally suspect. But certainly on 87 we are in complete agreement.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-12-17 17:03, critter wrote:
I have a question, how come every time someone has an opinion it has to be shoved into a political category?...

Labels permit a thing to be considered NOT on its own qualities or merits.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5725 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-12-17 17:03, critter wrote:
I have a question, how come every time someone has an opinion it has to be shoved into a political category?
It seems like every time anyone supports people helping each other that person must be a "dirty liberal," but every time someone supports the troops or national security they must be a "right wing nutjob?"
Can't people just be allowed to have their own opinions on individual questions of right and wrong without needing to sign up for the left or right mailing list?

Yes we can.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20992 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To this end, please stop sending me things you think I will agree with. I do NOT believe our president is an illegal alien, I think he was born in Americaa so stop sending me that stuff. I don't think he hates America, I don't think he is a secret Manchurian Candidate type, or any of the extreme positions that people want to try to challenge him with. I could be wrong, but I have no interest in those things.

I think there is solid constitutional ground to challenge his policy on. That is more how I focus.

This is sort of my point here though. You can get labeled by either side!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4166 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2010-12-18 12:35, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Labels permit a thing to be considered NOT on its own qualities or merits.

Bravo.

In addition, so many times we label someone we don't know, and consider the matter closed.

However, when one discovers that someone they know, and have positive feelings for, is eligible to wear that very same label, labeling becomes not quite so simple.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16347 Posts

Profile of tommy
We the “Exclusive Coterie” don't label people we just have them branded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl2fONPgIJE

:)
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Don't trust Danny - he's a sleeper agent - CHAOS planted him decades ago. I will now bring down the cone of silence and tell you all the details.

Ok - so now we all know the real situation.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I don't understand Dumbacrats are good Libtardians. Smile
Dennis Michael
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
"They're ALL crazy--they're all crazy 'ceptin you and me...and sometimes I 'ave me doubts about you."
- Martin the orderly ("Dracula," Universal, 1931)
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20992 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Destiny busted me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20992 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Critter I was just trying to remember, because I am too lazy to use a search function, but SOMEONE was on that thread about taxes on page 5 or 6 explaining how someone on the other side of an arguement from them was...what was it? Oh a "textbook psychopath" I think it was.

Yea that was it. They also threw about the generalities of parties to make the point. I just wish I could remember who that was. Any ideas?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20992 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As a matter of fact isn't that what psychology is all about? Putting labels on people so they can be categorised?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
It's easy to get people riled up with "us and them". I find, the more "them" I talk to, the more "us" there are.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2010-12-19 13:13, Dannydoyle wrote:
Critter I was just trying to remember, because I am too lazy to use a search function, but SOMEONE was on that thread about taxes on page 5 or 6 explaining how someone on the other side of an arguement from them was...what was it? Oh a "textbook psychopath" I think it was.

Another lie. I said that many of the unspoken rules of corporate culture often fit the diagnostic criteria for psychopathy and used a pop culture figure as an example.

Quote:
Yea that was it. They also threw about the generalities of parties to make the point. I just wish I could remember who that was. Any ideas?

Well this one was you, Danny. You were the one who said "liberal this" and "liberal that." You.
I was the one who said "niether side is better than the other." But you already know that because you responded to posts I said it in. So this is another of your lies.
What is the label for someone who only speaks lies?

I feel sorry for you. What a sad and lonely life you must lead to devote so much of it to baiting me, even when you knew I was on vacation and wouldn't be here to defend myself.
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter
You know, Danny Doyle, I have to ask: What is your personal issue with me?
I had never said an ill word about you, nor likely anyone close to you, until you attacked me.
Out of nowhere you suddenly started calling me names and copying edited and out of context versions of my posts which you changed to spread lies about me. I have no idea what I did to provoke you to start lying about me and insulting me the way you have. But now you are follwing me from topic to topic just to propagate your lies.
You obviously have some personal issue with me, though we've never met.
So what is it that causes a person to start a war of lies and insults with dots and lines on a screen?
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » "Political Labelling... huh?" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL