The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Vent routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-01-30 11:02, Wanlu wrote:
I don't think that table is

Wanlu;

I don’t understand your post about the table, was it a reply to my post; if it was, what don’t you think the table is?

Buzz
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Allow me. I speak vent chatboard. Smile

You asked if you were on the right path.
Wanlu said he didn't think the table was something that was "on the right path."
Then he added, "...for kidshows."

-Philip
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
He was speaking of the shattering table effect.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Quote:
On 2011-01-31 08:35, Buzz Lawrence wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-30 11:02, Wanlu wrote:
I don't think that table is

Wanlu;

I don’t understand your post about the table, was it a reply to my post; if it was, what don’t you think the table is?

Buzz
Hi Buzz... Im just using a phone and I did not realize my comment was incomplete...

...when I checked on the thread again, I realized that my comment was incomplete so I just finished by adding what was missing. Im sorry, my mistake.

Anyway... My point was that table at least for me is not for kidshows unless of course you can think of a fun routine for kids.
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I'm curious as to what you envision doing with the glass shattering table. Mentalism? Vocal breaking of glass? In any case, the plexi container over the glass automatically gives away the effect - why else cover it? It definitely isn't the safest thing to do. Glass shards can fly, and even with the plexi container and careful clean up, there is potential for problems.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Tom, Wanlu, I was just sharing my thoughts of what I was looking at to add to my routine; both of you are completely correct, you have convinced me; I should not be breaking glass on a table in my routine, adult or child.

I’m looking at what both of you have posted, I am removing the breaking glass table from my list of props.

Tom to answer your question about what I was envisioning… I think you know from my past posts, that sometimes my vision is clear, something I have visions that are off the wall, this vision was an off the wall vision and I am thankful that you have replied and helped.

Tom, Wanlu, thank you
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of maps
I did think of the glass shattering table trick for my sharp shooter puppet routine and breaking a glass for every show besides been messy and dangerous is also expensive.So I was thinking of a "glass" or cup that will break but not shatter but can be reset again,without having to replace or clean up after every show.
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
If a vent wants to add magic in a vent routine, make the trick simple or even silly like a mind reading act by a blindfolded figure Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu and his Puppets
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-02-01 04:28, maps wrote:
I I was thinking of a "glass" or cup that will break but not shatter but can be reset again,without having to replace or clean up after every show.

Do they make this?

What is it called?

I want one..
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-02-01 08:36, Wanlu wrote:
If a vent wants to add magic in a vent routine, make the trick simple or even silly like a mind reading act by a blindfolded figure Smile

I am thinking of comedy magic tricks and even having Dan make the trick go wrong and then he would give a funny explanation on how it was my fault
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Buzz, if you're thinking about doing kid shows, go check out the "Little Darlings" section here at the Café. It is specifically for kid show performers and there are many many discussions there that you will find useful in developing a kid show act. Kids are NOT easy audiences by the way, so you need to build an act for kids every bit as carefully as you would an act for adults.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Mr. Pitts;

I am ultimately planning on doing adult events, but am going to start on very young children about two to four years old attending my church’s Sunday school.

I am thinking they just want to see the figure and don’t care if I move my lips; I feel this will give me the confidence to perform and work the controls in front of an audience.

The routines I am going to use are pre written bible stories written by Clinton Detweiler; anyway it is my plan for my future.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
That sounds like good way to start and gain confidence. Just be sure you know the routine well enough that you can really deliver it with energy. Know your material and you give yourself room to have fun with it, and enough confidence to overcome any self-perceived shortcomings. Plus, if you know the lines really well, you'll be better able to read the audience and tell what works and what needs work. If you don't know the lines backward and forward, that's all you'll be able to think about, what's the next line.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
So, what do you think of a teleprompter, I have never seen one used for a vent show, is it ever used?
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
OK, but what if the TelePrompter goes down? One more thing for you to worry about. I've seen one vent who reads his routine off a music stand. Talk about killing the illusion of spontaneity!

I agree completely with David, and I respectfully suggest that you thoroughly memorize the material. Remember, there's lots going on simultaneously--your words, the puppet's words, the puppet's movements, your reactions, etc. You have to learn not only the words, but also the movements that go with them. Smoothness can only come from many repeat performances--first for the mirror, then for a video camera. Bill DeMar once suggested practicing each routine 3 ways. First, work only on yourself: make sure you have the lines memorized and concentrate on lip control. Then concentrate only on the figure. Then put it all together.

I think that many beginning performers in many fields make the mistake of going out in front of audiences too early. Lord knows I've done that and regretted it every time. I think one should be very confident in the routine before inflicting oneself on an audience, even toddlers.

Respectfully,

Bob

P.S. I suggest reading Terry Fator's book "Who's the Dummy Now?". A lot of detail in there how he practiced hundreds, if not thousands of hours.
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I've used TelePrompters but, as Bob says, what happens if it goes down.
Also: It takes a knack to look like you're not reading.

-Philip
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I should also add that Jeff Dunham uses a TelePrompter in his show, but that's 2 hours of material!
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 11:57, Bob Baker wrote:
I've seen one vent who reads his routine off a music stand. Talk about killing the illusion of spontaneity!

When I started, I wrote large cues on 5 x 8 cards and fastened them on the stage in front of my microphone stand. The audience couldn't see them (unless they walked up to the stage) and at a glance, I could remember where I was. Once I developed the flow of my show, I got rid of them.

HOWEVER - I do, at corporate events, use a music stand that attaches to my mic stand. It holds a few things and includes cards with audience names that I weave into my routines. Although I practice the heck out of them before the show, a quick downward glance at those cards while the figure is hitting a punchline, has saved me many times. The key is making it look like a natural movement - and not reading it off the cue cards. (Or telepromter...)
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
A teleprompter if you really need one for a live show should only show your routine and not the script...

It should only show you keywords...

I use one for TV but the prompter is exactly below the camera which means you appear like looking directly to the camera giving the illusion of a memorized script. Plus those tv segments are very short compared to an actual vent act.
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu and his Puppets
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
When I first posted the teleprompter idea, I thought it would get shot down as a Ventriloquist taboo.

I’m getting the idea that a teleprompter could be useful in certain conditions,

Based on Bob’s comment about a teleprompter failing during a show, perhaps a teleprompter would assist me in rehearsal if mounted in conjunction with the camcorder; this would help with memorization and visual performance review.

The teleprompter with a 10 inch mirror costs about $400.00,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Vent routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL