The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Any room for the Elder? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Winston Louis
View Profile
New user
Boston
16 Posts

Profile of Winston Louis
Hello everyone,
Being new to this forum (or any other for that matter), let me introduce myself.
My name is Winston Louis, retired M.D., born and raised in Leeds, Yorkshire.
I somehow ended up being a psychiatrist who worked at the Royal College of Physicians.
The Fifties not only brought Rock & Roll to the U.K., but also my American cardiologist wife-to-be;
We subsequently moved to L.A. where I worked at the University of California, San Francisco (dept. of Psychiatry, reasearch on schizophrenia) until my retirement.
We have two children: a son (M.D., what do you know) and a daughter (who went back to the U.K. to study archeology and who now works at the British Museum).
My interest in magic started when I met Dai Vernon back in 1969. We invited him many times and spent unforgettable evenings (and nights) talking and performing magic (that and drinking gallons of booze and smoking enormous cigars).
Now, my wife and I moved East, to Boston, and we're taking things easy.
It gives me time to check back on past affairs, so magic naturally popped up.
While not a public performer, I do master the basics (thanks to Dai Vernon, a tough teacher): if at times I make a remark that seems obvious, please be patient and clement.
Yours truly,
Winston
bertoneski
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of bertoneski
Hi Winston. Wow, what an amazing history and what an honour to have The Professor as your tutor.
Are you specifically interested in Bizarre magic?
Winston Louis
View Profile
New user
Boston
16 Posts

Profile of Winston Louis
Dear Bertoneski,

It's funny, because he used to call me professor. Smile
He wasn't my tutor as such, he was more of a kindred spirit.
And we met as a result of him being hired to perform at the university; we talked and connected.

Bizarre magic is closest to my heart: I have a substantual private collection of medical objects, and somehow always start making up new (and usually rather disturbing) functions for them.

Also, there isn't anything 'magic' in what commercial magicians do anymore, or to be honest, not to my personal taste. I remember seeing Bing Crosby on stage! I'm oldschool in my entertainment.

Bizarre magic seems to be more authentic (i.e. prepared, studied) in its approach.

Yours truly,

Winston
winewizard
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of winewizard
This house has many rooms
Winston Louis
View Profile
New user
Boston
16 Posts

Profile of Winston Louis
A common phrase in psychiatric evaluation.
lozey
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
381 Posts

Profile of lozey
Hi there Dr (?) Louis

I live very near to Leeds myself and also work in the medical industry (although not psychiatry)

welcome!
bertoneski
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of bertoneski
Well I'm sure you'll have a rich vein of stories to plumb for your Bizarre routines. Frontal lobotomies, electric shock therapy, mind bending drugs etc....!!!!

Shameless plug here but.... look further down in the forum for a thread about The Mystic Menagerie.... a bizarre Magical Ezine you'll want to indulge in.
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
Welcome Professor Heir Dr Winston have you checked out (Outlaw-Effects) Luna? It is a book test and more based on the inmates of Colony Hatch! Might be just for you!
http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/inde......temid=54
http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-......936.html
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2156 Posts

Profile of RCP
Welcome sir! I think you will find the "rooms" most........... interesting.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3455 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Good to have you with us. It is good to have new blood as well as new ideas on the forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here so enjoy.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Winston Louis,

You'll make a great addition to the Café.

-Mary Mowder
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
Have you checked out Luna 1934-1936?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Welcome... Smile

Would love to hear stories about the Professor, Professor... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1934 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
To the immoderators - please stop moving threads that don't belong other places. The context for this is clearly Bizarre. If something shows up in the bizarre forum that doesn't belong here, we'll let you know.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
"immoderators"?

Smile Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
Fascists!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Welcome professor.
For Bizarre magic you may wish to check on Eugene Burger's work and we have several other gifted members here who work on bizarre magick
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Winston,

Welcome to The Magic Café. Let's hope that you enjoy it even half as much as I do.

We do allow M.D.s here. I'm married to one. You would enjoy each other and dealing with the realities of life. Lucy does magic with live unicorns! We live on Magic Valley Ranch a few hundreds of miles south of Boston. We hope to see you here in October.

The date for 2011 is October 7-8. Please come and take part.

http://magicvalleymagic.com/

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0

Welcome aboard!

Bob and Lucy Sanders
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Winston, albeit a bit late, welcome to the Café....your introduction piqued my interest because I'm a 63-year old retiree from the newspaper business and while I collected magic for years, I never performed....until last summer! You must do it sir! It's a wonderful way to experience the magic you so much enjoy. I've performed for free to get experience and have had so much fun, I'm actually at the stage where I can start charging a fee. That's not my aim though...I just want to have fun and I hope you'll consider getting into the bizarre stuff and then get out there and play with it! You'll have a great time, I assure you. Once again, welcome aboard, this is a great place. Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Any room for the Elder? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL