The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » There is no snow in Britain . . . . there is no snow in Britain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I've been reading magicians here posting about travel difficulties supposedly caused by snow in Britain. I fear they must be the victims of some form of mass hypnotism, misdirection, or something.

There can't be any snow in Britain! Ten years ago, the distinguished climate scientists at the Climate Research Unit of the University of East Anglia proclaimed that children in England would never know snow again . . . they couldn't have been wrong, could they?

It was reported by the Independent:

Quote:
The first two months of 2000 were virtually free of significant snowfall in much of lowland Britain, and December brought only moderate snowfall in the South-east. It is the continuation of a trend that has been increasingly visible in the past 15 years: in the south of England, for instance, from 1970 to 1995 snow and sleet fell for an average of 3.7 days, while from 1988 to 1995 the average was 0.7 days. London's last substantial snowfall was in February 1991.

Global warming
, the heating of the atmosphere by increased amounts of industrial gases, is now accepted as a reality by the international community. Average temperatures in Britain were nearly 0.6°C higher in the Nineties than in 1960-90, and it is estimated that they will increase by 0.2C every decade over the coming century. Eight of the 10 hottest years on record occurred in the Nineties.

However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said.

The effects of snow-free winter in Britain are already becoming apparent. This year, for the first time ever, Hamleys, Britain's biggest toyshop, had no sledges on display in its Regent Street store. "It was a bit of a first," a spokesperson said.

Or do you think there was something to those purloined emails after all?

Peace Out.

Woland
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Pool lil' limey kids, they will be just like David Copperfield when his parents stayed in New Joisey for the Winter.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Kids in California don't know what snow is. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
From the article in your link: "Heavy snow will return occasionally," says Dr Viner.

Woland are you illiterate or dishonest?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
This last storm will dump upward to 100 inches of new snow in some areas of California....
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Magnus,

Evidently the CRU is familiar with the use of the equivoque . . . . and a cold reader's outs . . . very fitting for our magical forum . . .

Peace Out.

Woland
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Quote:
Ten years ago, the distinguished climate scientists at the Climate Research Unit of the University of East Anglia proclaimed that children in England would never know snow again . . . they couldn't have been wrong, could they?

"According to Dr David Viner....."

Viner. Scientist. Singular. But "they" sounds so much more...conspiratorial.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2807 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2010-12-20 19:06, Woland wrote:

Or do you think there was something to those purloined emails after all?

Peace Out.

Woland

Just because someone has some letters after their name doesn't mean they really understood the principal of the thing.

Warming could bring MORE snow because there's more moisture in the air.

Scary, isn't it?
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Ed,

More moisture in the air means more precipitation - probably true.

But unless it is COLD you get rain, not snow.

Nosher,

David Viner was quoted by name in the passage I reproduced. However, if you go to the article in the Independent, you will read about several other distinguished scientists and their stark warnings of warming:

Quote:
Professor Jarich Oosten, an anthropologist at the University of Leiden in the Netherlands, says that even if we no longer see snow, it will remain culturally important.

"We don't really have wolves in Europe any more, but they are still an important part of our culture and everyone knows what they look like," he said.

David Parker, at the Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research in Berkshire, says ultimately, British children could have only virtual experience of snow. Via the internet, they might wonder at polar scenes - or eventually "feel" virtual cold.

Their dire predictions were wrong. Period.

Peace Out.

Woland
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Quote:
On 2010-12-21 07:57, Woland wrote:
David Viner was quoted by name in the passage I reproduced. However, if you go to the article in the Independent, you will read about several other distinguished scientists..."

Quite. But none of them are, as you stated, "the distinguished climate scientists at the Climate Research Unit of the University of East Anglia..", apart from Viner. One was an historian, another an anthropologist, fields not generally considered to qualify for a gong as distinguished climate scientists.

As I said, singular.

I fail to see what sort of 'prediction' the anthropologist Oosten is making. It seems to me he may well be responding to a reporter's question about the cultural impact of no snow. He is not quoted directly and there is not enough information to be sure.

As has already been pointed out, Viner also predicted that "Heavy snow will return occasionally" for which he appears to have received no credit on his scorecard.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Last winter was unusually cold. This winter appears to be the coldest on record. How many cold years will it take before the glowball warmenists abandon their belief?

They will never give it up actually. For the definitive account of what happens when a strongly held belief is falsified by experience, read "When Prophecy Fails" by Festinger, Riecken, and Schachter. I believe they coined the term "cognitive dissonance."

Woland
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-12-21 10:24, Woland wrote:

Last winter was unusually cold. This winter appears to be the coldest on record. How many cold years will it take before the glowball warmenists abandon their belief?

What are you talking about?

This winter has really only just started. You can't look at a few days and make a realistic claim about it being the coldest on record.

As for LAST winter, it was the fifth warmest on record, worldwide:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/03/2......84.shtml

"It will probably come as a surprise to most Americans, but the winter just finished was the fifth warmest on record, worldwide."

LAST winter was also the warmest and driest in Canadian record books.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technology/......ory.html

Environment Canada scientists report that winter 2009/10 was 4 C above normal, making it the warmest since nationwide records were first kept in 1948. It was also the driest winter on the 63-year record, with precipitation 22 per cent below normal nationally, and down 60 per cent in parts of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario.

"It's beyond shocking," David Phillips, a senior climatologist with Environment Canada, said Tuesday. Records have been shattered from "coast to coast to coast."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16355 Posts

Profile of tommy
BRITISH COUNCIL

David leads our work in climate change. He has been actively involved in a range of climate change science, impact, adaptation and mitigation research projects.

David has been involved with the Nobel Prize-winning International Panel on Climate Change since 1994 and has undertaken numerous media activities relating to climate change, including guest presenting BBC 1's Inside Out Documentary.

To arrange an interview with David, please contact the press office

http://www.britishcouncil.org/new/press-......d-Viner/

H. G. WELLS

THE NEW WORLD ORDER

Whether it is attainable, how it can be attained, and what sort of world a world at peace will have to be.

First Published . . January 1940.

In Germany popular thought is supposed to be under the control of Herr Dr Goebbels; in Great Britain we writers have been invited to place ourselves at the disposal of some Ministry of Information, that is to say at the disposal of hitherto obscure and unrepresentative individuals, and write under its advice. Officials from the British Council and the Conservative Party Headquarters appear in key positions in this Ministry of Information. That curious and little advertised organisation I have just mentioned, the creation I am told of Lord Lloyd, that British Council, sends emissaries abroad, writers, well-dressed women and other cultural personages, to lecture, charm and win over foreign appreciation for British characteristics, for British scenery, British political virtues and so forth. Somehow this is supposed to help something or other. Quietly, unobtrusively, this has gone on. Maybe these sample British give unauthorised assurances but probably they do little positive harm. But they ought not to be employed at all. Any government propaganda is contrary to the essential spirit of democracy. The expression of opinion and collective thought should be outside the range of government activities altogether. It should be the work of free individuals whose prominence is dependent upon the response and support of the general mind.

But here I have to make amends to Lord Lloyd. I was led to believe that the British Council was responsible for Mr. Teeling, the author of Crisis for Christianity, and I said as much in The Fate of Homo Sapiens. I now unsay it. Mr. Teeling, I gather, was sent out upon his journeys by a Catholic newspaper. The British Council was entirely innocent of him.

It is not only that the Ministries of Information and Propaganda do their level best to divert the limited gifts and energies of such writers, lecturers and talkers as we possess, to the production of disingenuous muck that will muddle the public mind and mislead the enquiring foreigner, but that they show a marked disposition to stifle any free and independent utterances that my seem to traverse their own profound and secret plans for the salvation of mankind.

http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/har......ells.htm

:)

Long live the cadences. - For those who know.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Tommy,

I believe you are from the U.K. Your compatriot, Piers Corbyn, is mentioned in an article by Boris Johnson of all people, in the Telegraph, as predicting a mini ice age. Seems he is right about the weather 85% of the time:

Quote:
In a few brief hours, we are told, the snowy superfortresses will be above us again, bomb bays bulging with blizzard. It may be that in the next hours and days we have to step up our de-icing, our gritting and our shovelling. So let me seize this brief gap in the aerial bombardment to pose a question that is bugging me. Why did the Met Office forecast a "mild winter"?

Do you remember? They said it would be mild and damp, and between one degree and one and a half degrees warmer than average. Well, I am now 46 and that means I have seen more winters than most people on this planet, and I can tell you that this one is a corker.

Never mind the record low attained in Northern Ireland this weekend. I can't remember a time when so much snow has lain so thickly on the ground, and we haven't even reached Christmas. And this is the third tough winter in a row. Is it really true that no one saw this coming?

Actually, they did. Allow me to introduce readers to Piers Corbyn, meteorologist and brother of my old chum, bearded leftie MP Jeremy. Piers Corbyn works in an undistinguished office in Borough High Street. He has no telescope or supercomputer. Armed only with a laptop, huge quantities of publicly available data and a first-class degree in astrophysics, he gets it right again and again.

Back in November, when the Met Office was still doing its "mild winter" schtick, Corbyn said it would be the coldest for 100 years. Indeed, it was back in May that he first predicted a snowy December, and he put his own money on a white Christmas about a month before the Met Office made any such forecast. He said that the Met Office would be wrong about last year's mythical "barbecue summer", and he was vindicated. He was closer to the truth about last winter, too.

He seems to get it right about 85 per cent of the time and serious business people – notably in farming – are starting to invest in his forecasts. In the eyes of many punters, he puts the taxpayer-funded Met Office to shame. How on earth does he do it? He studies the Sun.

He looks at the flow of particles from the Sun, and how they interact with the upper atmosphere, especially air currents such as the jet stream, and he looks at how the Moon and other factors influence those streaming particles.

He takes a snapshot of what the Sun is doing at any given moment, and then he looks back at the record to see when it last did something similar. Then he checks what the weather was like on Earth at the time – and he makes a prophecy.

I have not a clue whether his methods are sound or not. But when so many of his forecasts seem to come true, and when he seems to be so consistently ahead of the Met Office, I feel I want to know more. Piers Corbyn believes that the last three winters could be the harbinger of a mini ice age that could be upon us by 2035, and that it could start to be colder than at any time in the last 200 years. He goes on to speculate that a genuine ice age might then settle in, since an ice age is now cyclically overdue.

I'd never expect something to happen just because is is "overdue."

And as for the warmth of the past winter, consider that almost 1,000 manatees died of cold:

Quote:
It used to be boat propellers that were the villain that killed Florida's manatees. Now it looks like it is Mother Nature.

Since Jan. 1, 699 manatees have reportedly died, most of them relating to the severe drop in temperatures the state saw last winter, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission released in a report.

The dead sea cows set a record, but also signaled a significant population growth of the marine mammals. Researchers found nearly 5,100 manatees during a recent statewide count, the Sun-Sentinel reported.

But high death toll has some officials concerned, particularly with the recent cold snap that has hit the region in the past two weeks. The death total was a count up until Dec. 5, just before the coldest temperatures of the year were recorded.

"We are very concerned about the unusually high number of manatee deaths this year," Gil McRae, an official with the FWCC, said in a statement. "The cold-related deaths this past winter emphasize the importance of warm-water habitat to Florida's manatees."

Manatees have been known to migrate to warmer waters to beat the cold and are often found near power plants and nuclear reactors, which let off large amounts of heat into the water.

Woland
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Woland, do you really understand that little about science, or is this just an act for us at the Café?

You do realize that you can have a fever and freeze your toes at the same time, don't you? Isolated bits of cold do not indicate that the entire planet is cold.

John
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16355 Posts

Profile of tommy
John. Do you realize we have the weather on our side?

:)
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Tommy, I thought we were all surrounded by the weather Smile
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Magnus,

As far as I can tell from reports online and in the news, the severe and record-breaking cold that is complicating travel in Europe is not occurring in isolated pockets. People are dying of the cold, not of the heat, all across Europe. Including places such as Russia that you would expect to be able to cope with cold weather.

Austria recorded its coldest temperature ever this week. The Rhein-Main-Danube canal has been closed for the first time in 5 years. It is frozen over. In Dresden, zookeepers elected to move Humboldt penguins indoors because of the extreme cold. Snow fell on the Acropolis.

When an entire continent is affected, it is hardly "isolated bits of cold."

Personally, I wish the climate were getting warm. periods of warm climate are always better for the human race. But I think that the relative warmth of last quarter of the XXth century is behind us, and we face a colder future ahead.

In either case, destroying the industrial economies of the west and transferring the wealth that western workingmen have created to the favored third world tyrannies of our transnational elitists will not be of much use.

Peace Out.

Woland
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16355 Posts

Profile of tommy
We are going through some strange changes as we move into age of Aquarius. This time next year things will be moving so fast it will seem like the end of the world. If we can make it through to 2013 we will be cool. Good luck.

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, tommy - you, too. It's hard to believe, but 12.12.12. is closing in fast. When I first heard about it, it seemed quite far away.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » There is no snow in Britain . . . . there is no snow in Britain (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL