The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » There is no snow in Britain . . . . there is no snow in Britain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5718 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Them self realizing Robots will destroy it before the weather.

Dammn Robots!
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-12-21 23:56, Woland wrote:
Magnus,

I am sure you are well aware of the discrepancies between the satellite temperature measurements and the surface temperature measurements. The graphs you showed were based on surface temperature measurements.

The observation that Hansen is an arch-priest of the global warming cult is not something to be proven; it is a judgment based on reading his nearly insane ravings.

Woland

The "discrepancies" are well known on blogs and other bits of popular polemic. Read the literature. They have been tested and shown to be of very little consequence. What's more most of the measurements are based on satellite data, or are a mixture of land data, corrected with satellite data and mathematics.

And which of Hansen's "nearly insane ravings" have you read? Was it "Climate simulations for 1880-2003 with GISS model"? Or "The North Atlantic thermohaline circulation simulated by the GISS climate model during 1970-99"? Maybe it was "Sea-ice and North Atlantic climate response to CO2-induced warming and cooling conditions"?

Maybe you don't like his political writing? Which of it have you read? And what does any of this to do with the proposition that human-produced emissions are contributing to the overall warming of our planet?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
As Woland's link stated, no snow is a sign of global warming.

He just needs to understand that lots of snow is a sign of global warming: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/......-warming
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Pakar Ilusi,

Malaysia sounds pretty nice at this time of year!!!!!!!!!!!

Woland
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-12-22 02:00, Scott Cram wrote:
As Woland's link stated, no snow is a sign of global warming.

He just needs to understand that lots of snow is a sign of global warming: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/......-warming

Those b*stard scientists! Looking at data and all that rot. How dare they?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-12-20 19:06, Woland wrote:
I've been reading magicians here posting about travel difficulties supposedly caused by snow in Britain. I fear they must be the victims of some form of mass hypnotism, misdirection, or something.

There can't be any snow in Britain! Ten years ago, the distinguished climate scientists at the Climate Research Unit of the University of East Anglia proclaimed that children in England would never know snow again . . . they couldn't have been wrong, could they?

No, they weren't wrong. It's just a misinterpretation.

What Britain is - and has been - experiencing looks like snow, sounds like snow, feels like snow, tastes like snow, smells like snow, and acts like snow.

So that means that it's snow, right?

Wrong! Not by a long shot!

It does, however, mean that they should treat it like snow.

A similar situation ocurs with, for example, the Leibniz notation for a derivative (in calculus). It looks like a fraction, it sounds like a fraction, it feels like a fraction, smells like a fraction, tastes like a fraction, and acts like a fraction. I ask my first-semester calculus students this question: If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, feels like a duck, smells like a duck, tastes like a duck, waddles like a duck, is it a duck? Their answer is a resounding, "Yes!"

"No!" I yell at them, "It's not a duck! But," lowering my voice, "you should treat it like a duck." A derivative is not a fraction, but under certain circumstances you can (and should) treat it like a fraction.

Britain should learn this lesson and apply it to the snow-like (though clearly non-snow) substance it is accumulating these days.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-12-22 10:15, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-20 19:06, Woland wrote:
I've been reading magicians here posting about travel difficulties supposedly caused by snow in Britain. I fear they must be the victims of some form of mass hypnotism, misdirection, or something.

There can't be any snow in Britain! Ten years ago, the distinguished climate scientists at the Climate Research Unit of the University of East Anglia proclaimed that children in England would never know snow again . . . they couldn't have been wrong, could they?

No, they weren't wrong. It's just a misinterpretation.

What Britain is - and has been - experiencing looks like snow, sounds like snow, feels like snow, tastes like snow, smells like snow, and acts like snow.

So that means that it's snow, right?

Wrong! Not by a long shot!

It does, however, mean that they should treat it like snow.

A similar situation ocurs with, for example, the Leibniz notation for a derivative (in calculus). It looks like a fraction, it sounds like a fraction, it feels like a fraction, smells like a fraction, tastes like a fraction, and acts like a fraction. I ask my first-semester calculus students this question: If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, feels like a duck, smells like a duck, tastes like a duck, waddles like a duck, is it a duck? Their answer is a resounding, "Yes!"

"No!" I yell at them, "It's not a duck! But," lowering my voice, "you should treat it like a duck." A derivative is not a fraction, but under certain circumstances you can (and should) treat it like a fraction.

Britain should learn this lesson and apply it to the snow-like (though clearly non-snow) substance it is accumulating these days.

:rotf: This is what makes teaching so much fun! Thanks.

John
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-12-22 10:20, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
:rotf: This is what makes teaching so much fun! Thanks.

My pleasure, John.

How's the weather in your neck of the woods? I got home to Yorba Linda to find it had been raining since Friday; it's still raining.

See: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_california_storm

Maybe tomorrow it'll go away for a week or so. I hope so.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

November was warm and dry. The past 10 days have been colder than average, but not particularly cold (it'll be -11C today), but we've had a healthy dump of snow, which is a PITA for driving, but is very good overall. We don't get much rain in the summer, so we need snow for moisture.

There does seem to be a lot of stormy weather in the English-speaking Northern Hemisphere these last couple of weeks. Is Yorba Linda normally rainy this time of year?

And BTW, do you blanket your horses in winter?

John
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
@S2000

Very good!

Woland
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-12-22 11:38, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Is Yorba Linda normally rainy this time of year?

And BTW, do you blanket your horses in winter?

We get the occasional rain shower here, but nothing like what we're seeing this week. It's supposed to be clear for a week, then start raining New Year's Eve. That means another rainy New Year's Day, so the Rose Parade will be soaked. This will be, I believe, the third time in four years that it's rained on the Rose Parade, following something like twenty years of sunny skies.

We usually clip the horses in mid- to late-Fall and blanket them all winter. With the clipping we can ride them without them getting all sweaty, then throw the blanket on them when we return.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

I thought you might blanket the horses. It seems comical to me (but yes, I do see the logic). Most people here do blanket their horses in the winter, but a surprising number don't. They just get shaggy for the cold months, then get trimmed nice and pretty in the spring.

John
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
http://www.frumforum.com/climate-change-......snow-job

Just as surely as the arrival of winter signals bears to hibernate and Santa Claus impersonators to flock to the nearest mall, winter weather — particularly East Coast snowstorms — signals climate change deniers to ramp up their rhetoric that global warming is nothing more than a figment of Al Gore’s imagination.

These skeptics, who are quiet as a mouse when summer temps soar into triple digits, brandish every winter weather event as irrefutable proof that climate change is a hoax. Fox News and right-wing talk radio will do their part to amplify the message, and invariably a few other media outlets will report on this spin and make it seem like there is a legitimate controversy.

What we need are thoughtful conservatives who understand the science to step forward and engage on this issue. The health of our planet’s life-sustaining atmosphere — and our children’s future — is too important to stand on the sidelines while lefty big government greenies and radical libertarian deniers tie public opinion in knots.

One conservative who has stepped forward is South Carolina Congressman Bob Inglis. Inglis, who was defeated in last June’s GOP primary, spoke frankly in his last House Science Committee climate hearing. He challenged climate scientists to not be defensive and take advantage of skepticism as an opportunity to teach. He also fired off a salvo at those who peddle misinformation, saying: People who make a lot of money on talk radio and talk TV say a lot of things. They slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and they’re experts on climate change. They substitute their judgment for people who have Ph.D.s and work tirelessly [on climate change].

This is the kind of pushback we need. Otherwise, every winter we will be digging ourselves out of a snow job that is far more dangerous than the next Nor’easter.

See link for the rest.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I was up at Tahoe the other day and let me tell you, they have snow, lots of beautiful snow....and the biggest crowds of skiers I've seen in a long time. I didn't see any blanketed horses until I got down to the El Dorado Hills area outside of Sacramento. The mountain horses sure had their winter hair though. So any skiers out there who want to hit the sloops Tahoe and area are ready for you! For you non skiers go to Stateline on the lake and just watch the skiers walk around in their gear and with their skis as they smack each other when they turn.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » There is no snow in Britain . . . . there is no snow in Britain (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL