The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Real Eyes For Vent Figure (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Say, I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on this: My hard figure, Daniel is pretty good. Lot's of great features, but I was never happy with the fact that his pupils are painted.

I always thought he would be much more lifelike if the pupils were glass or acrylic or something.

I don't have the money to get him refurbished, but was wondering if you guys had any ideas on how the job could be done cheaply at home as a do it yourself project?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
There are some really good eyes at Puppets and Props.
If you have a home workshop, there are some cheap animal eyes at Hobby Lobby that can be sunk into the front of wooden balls (also at Hobby Lobby) to mimic human-like eyeballs.

-Philip
Excaliber
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Excaliber
Use marbles or plain glass marbles drill out and then glue in
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-12-21 12:33, Servante wrote:
There are some really good eyes at Puppets and Props.
If you have a home workshop, there are some cheap animal eyes at Hobby Lobby that can be sunk into the front of wooden balls (also at Hobby Lobby) to mimic human-like eyeballs.

-Philip

Puppets and props? Where can I find it?

I purchased some pupils from a vent shop online, but when I got them, they had stems on the other side. My hope was to just have the pupils flat and glue them over the current painted pupils.

Then I bought some dolls eyes online, (They were half eyes) hoping to be able to remove the pupil from the half ball form, but they are totally stuck in there as a part of the eyeball structure. Wasted my money so far.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Puppets and Props;
http://www.puppetsandprops.com/

Those eyes with the the stems, you could just cut the stems off, I've known of people doing that in the past, (I think I was one of them).
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Sorry I didn't include an addy for Puppets and Props! Thanks, Blueshawk, for stickin' that in there.

-Philip
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-12-21 16:08, blueshawk1 wrote:
Puppets and Props;
http://www.puppetsandprops.com/

Those eyes with the the stems, you could just cut the stems off, I've known of people doing that in the past, (I think I was one of them).

I thought about that, but it would require a vise and a fine blade saw, which I have neither.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of maps
Instead of buying the whole eyeballs,you can just buy the iris (the pupil).Drill a hole on the existing wooden eyes where the iris should be and just glue the iris you've bought into place.Be careful not to get glue on the iris or it will become blur.
for a cheaper alternative,
I've tried printing out the iris of real eyes on glossy paper and glued it in place on my puppets and it worked for me.
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I like the second idea! It could be tricky, though, getting the irises to be the perfect size,.

But for the first idea, what kind of glue do you recommend?
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Before you do this, I'd like to offer an idea for your consideration. When I built my figure Henry, I very much wanted a hard figure because my plan was to a create classic style vent act. Plus, I'd had one as a kid and my fascination with ventriloquism started with Jerry Mahoney. The only problem was, people told me they found hard figures 'creepy' and they (and I) worried that children, my main audience, would be frightened by a hard figure. I wanted to do what I could to prevent that reaction, so I set out to make Henry as friendly and non-threatening as possible. I printed photos of some figures I was interested in and showed them to random people I knew. The ones that got the strongest negative response were the most 'realistic' ones. The ones that people favored were without exception the more 'puppety' ones; Kem Poyner, some Marshall's (not all) and, the finished Brose kit figures. Also, some Lovik's fared well because they tend to have a friendly, big eyed, cartoony look. One of the things I noted was that the eyes made a big difference in how people responded. Too much white around the iris made the eyes more visible, but also made the figure look sort of intense and crazy. Eyebrows arched down to the center made the effect even more sinister and angry. So I decided, partly to save money, but mostly to be able to make them exactly how I wanted, to hand paint the eyes myself. I used wooden dolls heads and acrylic paint. I painted them brown, but in layers to make the color kind of rich and deep looking, and I detailed them with pupils and little dark lines in the iris to add realism... basically I just went for semi-realism. The main thing I did though, was to paint the irises bigger than you usually see on a figure, where there's no whites visible at the top or bottom of the eye, more like a person. My thinking is that people 'read' too much white visible around the eye as 'wild -eyed' and crazy. I think it's just instinct.
I'm very happy with the results. People respond very well to Henry, even little kids. I have had very few negative reactions. So, before you cover up those painted eyes for realism, consider that more realism may not be as much of a positive as you hope, in terms of people's reactions. Your figure, from what I can tell in your avatar, is very friendly looking, I really like him. Think twice before you change his eyes because it could dramatically change his looks.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That is excellent advice and I am going to consider everything you have shared before I make my final decision!
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of maps
Maybe you can print the eyes on sticky back paper and stick it on yr puppet and see what you like.You can adjust size and colors.
The best part is you can stick it on and decide what looks best on your puppet as a mock up and later tear it off once you've made your decision.
You may have to punch a small hole near the middle and cut a slit to accomodate the curvature of the pupil when you stick it on.
Make sure you test and see that the paintwork doesn't peel off when you remove the sticker!
Visit my website
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
I have a Lovik figure, one of his later lower priced lines, I forget what they were called, but they actually had stickers for eyes, looks fine. I never even realized they were stickers until someone else told me.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of maps
I was thinking may be you can take a pingpong ball and cut a piece off the size of a cornea.
Using acrylic paint, select the color you want and paint in iris.
Using a highly glossy lacquer, spray or paint yr artwork. You may
Hv to do several layers while waiting for each layer to dry. If you are satisfied
With the results, just glue the iris in with a gel superglue or contact cement
Visit my website
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
The McElroy brothers used ping pong balls which were painted for the eyes. Doing the Iris and pupil and cutting it out sounds like a great idea.
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Man, so many great ideas on this thread that I don't know where to start! You guys are the best!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I had an idea! A light bulb just went off above my head. You guys wanna see his eyes? Well here's my idea: I'm about to start a new Youtube channel and on it I'm going to be a one man variety show. I'm going to put videos of my magic, my guitar playing and singing, my vocal impersonations, and my vent. So Daniel is about to become a star! (lol) Also don't forget the Axtell birds. I'll put them on there too because I love them a lot. (Probably more than Daniel)

Anyway, when I have the channel up and working and have a vid of me and Daniel vocal sparring then I'll give you the link and you can see his eyes. And if I've redone them buy then, then you can see how your ideas played out.

Again, I truly appreciate all the great ideas you guys have given me to choose from.
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Cool!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm uploading my first vid to youtube as I type. It's not vent, though, For the Holidays I decided to do some Christmas music. (pickin' and grinnin!)
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Done. First video of me and Daniel here. I totally improvised the whole thing. Had NO IDEA what I was going to say. Or Daniel!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwKRn3d0Ouc
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Real Eyes For Vent Figure (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL