The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Real Eyes For Vent Figure (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TheDummyDoctor
View Profile
New user
U S A
76 Posts

Profile of TheDummyDoctor
There are a number sources for glass and acrylic eyes (as well as truly lifelike...and expensive... human prosthetic eyes) but I quite frankly never liked the look of hyper realistic eyes in a vent figure. I think it takes away from the character rather than adding to it. I've built a lot of figures for a lot of vents in the last 44 years, as well as done repairs and restorations on older figures. At customer request, I have often installed very realistic glass or acrylic eyes, but such eyes are certainly not my personal preference in a figure.

To me the best figures are the ones that don't try to look too realistic. And that includes the eyes... if the face of a vent figure is thought of as what is essentially a 3-dimensional 'cartoon', it seems to me that eyes that are too realistic is detrimental to the concept of the vent figure as a caricature/cartoon. I guess, however, that I'm in the minority with that opinion.

Just my 2 cents...
cheers,
A.S.
-------

Alan Semok, Ph.D (honoris causa)

THE DUMMY DOCTOR

Building Pro Vent Figures since 1966

web: www.AlanSemok.com/dummies
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Hey Alan! Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you're here.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Quote:
On 2010-12-27 22:29, TheDummyDoctor wrote:
To me the best figures are the ones that don't try to look too realistic.
I guess, however, that I'm in the minority with that opinion.

Hi Alan, from one new user to another, welcome!
I agree that you are probably in the minority in that opinion, and I am probably a part of that minority as I agree with the first line I quoted too.
You saying that really caught my eye because it was just last week, I was talking to someone about an older figure they had for sale ("had" for sale because I ended up buying it), and I was saying to them I like the older figures because too many of the newer ones look too realistic.
I don't really want them looking "alive" before I even pick them up, that's my job to make them look that way....but what do I know, I'm old fashioned in a lot of ways....and just plain old......
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Jimeuax
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Jimeuax
David Pitts---I think your ideas about eyes are very perceptive---I concur....cheers! JIMO
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Thanks Jimo.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Real Eyes For Vent Figure (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL