The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Crazy man's handcuff's Query (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lonewolf123
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
336 Posts

Profile of Lonewolf123
Just wondering. With regards to this particular effect that I have been performing quite a while, I realised that the bands that you use for this effect tend to be a key factor in the smoothness of this trick. There is a need to find the perfect bands for this trick. Also, this trick isn't as angle-proof as it sounds as a keen observer can still observe how you perform the trick when the sleight is not performed smoothly. Any thoughts from magicians who perform this effect please comment.Thanks
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
Hey Lonewolf!

I find that the angles are pretty much common sense. Have no one looking in the direction in which you do the sleight. I normally perform it with the audience in front of me, and the bands are slightly to my left. The sleight is done close to my left ear when I stretch them, away from the prying eyes of the spectator. Therefore, I try not to have anyone close to my left ear from behind. I also instruct them to look at the way the bands are locked - in my opinion, I feel that's a good place for their eyes to lay on as that covers all that you do plus it increases visual appeal when you seperate the bands.

As to what type of bands are used, I totally agree. I love to use the longer type bands as opposed to smaller bands for obvious reasons. But I find that longer bands tend to break easily and have a short life span Smile

Anyway, take care,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
If you keep your hands moving I find they can be in front of me and not see how it is done. It takes awhile to get it really smooth but when you do it is angle proof. I believe Dan Harlan said the best bands to use are a number 19 if you can get them at a stationary store.
mnmagic
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of mnmagic
In my opinion number 19 bands are the best size though it might be different for someone with smaller hands.

The best band I have found is made by Alliance. I have not tried each of their different product line but have used the advantage line. I like these because they don't seem to tear due to friction when doing the CMH like other brands.

Check companies online like Viking office supply for them, They come in a big box with enough to last for quite awhile.

http://www.rubberband.com

Hope this is of help,
shawn
Zednanreh
View Profile
Loyal user
Miami, FL
211 Posts

Profile of Zednanreh
Everyone says "use #19 bands"...I use #33 bands. They are *MUCH* thicker but much more durable. What I recommend is soak the bands in water for a few minutes before performing. That will let the bands glide along each other easily. My little discovery, hope it helps.

- Alex
So you want to market or sell your trick? Before you do, read this!
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
The narrower band has a better look to it and also has a a magical look like the bands actually went through each other compare to the thicker band. The thinner band is also quieter and faster with less friction due to being thinner. Each to their own though.
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
One of us is confused if you're having trouble with angles. A widely used climax to CMH is to have a spectator hold one of the rubber bands!

Hide the moves under larger motions, and you should be fine. While you genuinely have one band behind the other, move your hand around to show the bands are truly "locked" - and say this. Move your RH left, right, up, down, out (do the first part of the move), in (complete the move). Even though the bands are free, keep pressing them against each other and continue to move left, right, up, down, as if they're still locked. THEN make the magic happen and separate the bands. As long as you keep your hands in motion, the move won't be caught even if the spectators are burning you.
Smile
bielke
View Profile
New user
Germany
57 Posts

Profile of bielke
i perform the trick in slowmotion under the eyes of a spectator and no one never gat it how it is done.

i think the trick is, when it is well done absolutely angle free.

pierre
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
hi, thinking of purchasing the trick...looks quite cool... but just a question here: i have never done rubber bands tricks before...i bascially do only card and coin stuff...so is it a hard trick to master? approximately how long would a slow person like me take to do it like david Copperfield? hee hee Smile
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
You can easily be doing it in a day but will take a little longer to get it really smooth. Get Dan Harlan's vol 1 Magic With Rubber Bands.
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
The best bands I have found for this effect are the #19, BUT a special type that I have only found through Viking Office Supplies. The special type I have found is called "Pale Crepe" and they just blend together so well that it adds incredibly to the deception! Try them out, they are awesome!
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi:

I agree that the routine is angle-proof; I never worry about where the spectators are when watching.

Also, Russ Niedzwiecki sells the #19 bands that he uses for Pinnacle. Sort of pricey, but they're much easier to use than office supply bands. Russ sells them on his website http://www.magicbuzz.net

Ron
da5id
View Profile
Loyal user
Dublin, Ireland
252 Posts

Profile of da5id
I also agree that it is angle proof when done well. Some people use misdirection when they move is done, but I can get away with it while being burned. I have been practicing pretty consistently for two years though.

I recently came up with a new variation using a ring. I show the ring on the band and then start shaking it a bit over the palm of my left hand and then the ring falls off into the palm. I'll be putting a video up soon and I'll post a link.
usa
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of usa
Two years sound about right.
I am doing it for a year now, and still doesn't look clean. One question I have is this: towards the end of the move there is some snapping sound and slight vibration of the band, sometimes visible more then other times. How do you deal with it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Crazy man's handcuff's Query (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL