The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Table of Elements (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dabah2014
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
157 Posts

Profile of dabah2014
Hello all, I'm in tenth grade, and one of my classes is chemistry. I'm off for the next two weeks for Christmas break, but I thought while I was off, I'd try to create or find a powerful mentalism effect using the Periodic Table of Elements. Does anyone know of a mentalism effect that utilizes this chart? Thanks! Smile
Matt
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
No. I think you'll be the first. I could suggest a plot for you, however. Have some objects representing several elements... you don't need the whole 102 (or whatever number we are currently up to), just some samples like a penny for copper, a dime for silver, and nickle for... well you know. A piece of aluminum foil, a lead fish sinker, a piece of jewelry for gold and that can represent all the metals. A lump of coal can represent carbon, a lump of Sulfur, a match to represent phophorus, and maybe a few more if you can find some simple ones. You identify each element as found on the periodic table, which you have printed and laminated on a small chart. Have someone select an element and hold it over the chart, which is held face down. When the chart is turned over, the square identifying the element has been colored red. Of course, most audiences will probably not be thrilled with this except a room full of chemistry students. So you have some blocks with element letters imprinted on them (like chemical dice). Someone rolls two of them and the dice show Na and Cl. Roll up the chart and pour out...salt. This time have someone roll three dice and up comes H, H, O. So out of the periodic chart cone comes ...water.

I'm sure you can take it from there.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
dabah2014
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
157 Posts

Profile of dabah2014
Thanks for the ideas Spellbinder! I like the concept of "chemical dice". There are now 112 elements Smile. In addition to a mentalism effect, I may perform an effect that relies on chemical concepts like changing water into ink or lighting a bill on fire without the bill actually being burnt. Thanks again!
Matt
mtb
View Profile
New user
South Africa
61 Posts

Profile of mtb
You could see what you could do if you looked at some old alchemy sources.

Lead into gold being the most obvious. Although that probably is not mentalism anymore, there may be some other stuff there too.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
? how is suggesting to neutrinos that they decay inside your lead to form the necessary neutrons and protons to make it into gold anything but mentalism? Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Table of Elements (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL