The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Do you spend more time marketing or improving your show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I have been fascinated with this subject ever since Mark Wilson stated at a lecture that he spent 80% of his time marketing. While I can’t argue with success, if your show stinks, all the marketing in the world will not produce a good show.

I have a good friend, I call him my marketing guru, who consistently gave me similar advice; forget about the show, concentrate on marketing. He is very successful in the photography field.

Through the years I have settled on this formula:

1. Immerse myself in improving my show.
2. Raise my price.
3. Immerse myself in marketing.
4. Repeat steps 1 through 4.

How do you handle balancing your time between show development and marketing?
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
A good show is needed but it won't make you a living on its own. The "build it and they will come" approach is mostly wishful thinking and slow at best.

The longer you do an act, the need for improvement diminishes. My current act I've been doing for 7 years. It's changed and improved to drastic degrees since the beginning and I'm still improving it. The degree and speed of improvements diminish over time. The improvements now are really just fine-tuning and take very little time overall.

I am very serious about having a top quality act and, as part of that, I am committed to not re-inventing it. You see, if I were to start introducing several new routines and effects, they will not have the experience and testing behind it. The timing and bits of business that have evolved to make my act high in demand did not just come overnight.

So, to answer your question, a good 90% of my time is on marketing. And that other 10% tends to be in developing the speaking, training, and coaching/consulting area of my business.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Upgrading your show is important, marketing your show is also important, but the most important thing that sets you apart from all other magicians is your personality. The final decision of who should I hire is usually based on which magician they feel the most comfortable inviting into their house. Tricks, and marketing are very important, but IMHO at the end of the day they will hire the magician that they liked the best.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
The way my show is improved is by doing many many shows in front of lay audiences. I can improve the individual "tricks" in front of a mirror, but show improvement for me only occurs "in the trenches". I am constantly adding new effects as I can, but only one at a time and as I have time. If a new effect does not achieve audience approval in front of a several lay audiences, it is discarded. If it does get approval over a variety of audiences it stays in the act. (performance of any kind in front of other magicians is not used in any way to judge audience entertainment approval) Most of my time is spent on marketing by networking, referrals, Internet, and web site. (I have discontinued all my traditional paid advertising). Percentage wise, I would say 95% of my working time is spent marketing.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
I’ve been performing for pay either part-time or full time (depending on when the fallacy of “get a real career and be more secure” raised its ugly head) since 1972. And in my humble opinion all of the above comments are valid, valuable, and very good.

Beano

PS. This post was brought to you by the letter “V”.
NOTE: With NO CONNECTION to any movie, TV show, or recent news story about anyone.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Hey Ken,

Great topic and some great points by all on this thread.

Years back I remember Dave Dee saying something along the lines that you should spend 90% of your time marketing and 10% of your time performing shows.

In my opinion I think most wizards should spend more time on creating better shows first rather than trying to sell an inferior product. Now we both know,though, that's just wishful thinking. Everyone wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die. Smile

Over the years I've heard many horror stories about guys being booked all the time, even though they were terrible performers. The reason for their success? They spent 80-90% of their time marketing rather than trying to perfect their trade.

I also think that both Scott and Al bring up some valid points as well. Once you've done your homework and know the fundamentals, there is that tendency to spend more time marketing rather than tinkering, or as George Burns said, "Sandpaper your act."

Al's point is also well taken. Sometimes it all boils down to people just liking you.

Gerry
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Half and half, right down the middle, often hour for hour.

Walt
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
It is impossible to separate the two. The reason the guys like Tim Conover, Raspini Brothers, etc get booked is because they have a great show (which is the marketing). They have done the marketing but more importantly, they have included their show as part of the marketing.

Marketing is not something that stops after we book the show; marketing is a process. And your show is a piece of that process. You can be great at getting new clients (the beginning of the marketing process) and have a horrible show (the middle part of the marketing process) and then they will not hire you again. OR you can be great at getting new clients, have a great show, and then follow up/keep in contact (the never-ending part of the process).

So you can't spend 90% of your time marketing and 10% on your show because your show is a piece of the marketing itself. Your show fits into your marketing, it is not separate from it.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Yessir!

There is no "Either-Or"! Success is certainly a double edged sword… it MUST be sharp on all sides in order for it to cut through powerfully and effectively! The same is true of OUR business! (…as it is with ANY business! – Duh!)

Most Certainly Your MUST Have A PRODUCT (Show, Service… in this example) that is Worth The Money Marketed For “and More”!

AND

You Must Effectively Market Your Service, Solution (and ALL that this entails and means…) in order to Showcase The High Quality Product, Service, Solution.

AND… again.

The Product, Service, Solution, (Your Show) MUST be So Excellent That It Re-Books, Refers, and gets Recommended to Others Due to It’s High Quality.

It is ALL part n’ parcel of the marketing and success cycle of success in business.

Remember:
Good News Travels Fast… Bad News Even Faster!

Good Stuff!
Dean
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Rafael The Master Hypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
South East Asia
498 Posts

Profile of Rafael The Master Hypnotist
Quote:
On 2010-12-23 05:53, Ken Northridge wrote:
How do you handle balancing your time between show development and marketing?

I had other people do that for me.................I used Others People Time and Effort

Currently I had Four Marketer who work to promote my Show and my Speaking engagement, and I pay them on Commission basis per project that they generate

at the end of the week, they just give me weekly reports of what marketing activity that they do in the past week

so now I enjoy what I do best, which is Focusing on working my Act

The BIGEST Room in the world is the Room for Improvement
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I spend more time marketing my show.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Once I took James Munton's course "Zero to Booked Solid in 30 Days" I let what he taught me do all the work of marketing. Best money I ever spent. I rate it right next to Jim Smack's course for the highest return on investment I have ever had. Both paid for themselves within 2 weeks.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Good topic!!

I agree with many previous comments but more recently as a Professional who tours
& performs as an opening act as well as a 45min corporate act in over 100 theatres & Top Hotels
all over the country-
Having a good act will sell itself & create work, the old saying nothing beats a good
show is true- but must be seen to be marketable etc... doing good shows creates shows...

How many times do we also hear people say Ive got a great show but don't get many bookings...

Also the Danger of an over rated performer by his own marketing but delivering a poor show ... be aware ..

Marketing especially when you have a good act is even more Important....
as mentioned -Anything from Internet to mail drops & ads in Phone books etc....
Flood the market -it will pay off

A good show will get you work, a poor show stops us all working....

Cheers
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
I think that the more time I spend marketing the better my show gets. After all, the more shows I do the better I get as a performer... makes sense right? Anyhoo... I've just had the great pelasure of sending this little e mail to James Munton... without whose advice I would still be spending my time planning a gret magic show, instead of working on one.

tom

Hi James,

just a quick Christmas Eve e mail to say, once again, thanks for allowing me to use and learn from the Zero to Booked Solid course. About ten months ago I think I emailed you explaining that I had no bookings, no leads.. no nothing. Since then, thanks to the course... well I don't like to blow my own trumpet... but I'm pretty sure that I am the busiest, if not THE busiest then certainly close, magical entertainer in my area... because I used, absorbed and learned from the course.

Cheers once again... that Tetley is in the mail as soon as I find a US source.

best

tom
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Thank you Tom & Paddy.
It gives me great pleasure to see you booking shows.

Best regards,
James
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
Improving my shows.

Those who last the longest are the ones that constantly improve their shows.
maybe I'm of the minority, but I think when it's all said and done, money is NOT the definitive measurement of your career.

I care about giving my clients the best show more than giving MORE clients an inferior show.

just my opinions Smile
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Good post Nash. You would think that having an outstanding show would create such a chatter that it could be the only marketing you need.

Quote:
On 2010-12-27 05:11, Nash wrote:
.....money is NOT the definitive measurement of your career.

Maybe not but it is one way to measure it, and money is very important to meet you and your family’s needs. This is why I tend to fall into the 80% to 90% time spent on marketing category. I wish I could be more like you, Nash, and spend it on show improvement.

Quote:
On 2010-12-24 23:03, Rafael The Master Hypnotist wrote:
I had other people do that for me.................I used Others People Time and Effort

Currently I had Four Marketer who work to promote my Show and my Speaking engagement, and I pay them on Commission basis per project that they generate

at the end of the week, they just give me weekly reports of what marketing activity that they do in the past week

Obviously you’re talking about agents. Perhaps that is a good solution for some, but don’t you have to have certain selling skills to sell yourself to an agent? So, if you develop the skill to sell, why not eliminate the middle man? I’ve seen a real shift away from agents. Is it just me or I am missing a huge opportunity? I don’t have to bring up all the stories of bad agents. Just do a search.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
You don't want an old marketing professor to answer this! I only have fifty-two years experience in the professional entertainment industry. (I start counting from the time I had a personal manager.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Quote:
On 2010-12-27 05:11, Nash wrote:
Improving my shows.

Those who last the longest are the ones that constantly improve their shows.
maybe I'm of the minority, but I think when it's all said and done, money is NOT the definitive measurement of your career.

I care about giving my clients the best show more than giving MORE clients an inferior show.

just my opinions Smile

Yes, giving your clients the best show goes without saying. But you have to do effective marketing to book the gigs. And every working professional will tell you this very important fact: the only way to improve your show is to work it in front of a real, paying audience. You just cannot develop a good show in front of the mirror. So generally the people who have the best show are also the ones who perform most frequently.

Best,
James
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
Quote:
On 2010-12-24 23:03, Rafael The Master Hypnotist wrote:

I agree totally.
Most successful business owners are not those that know how to do everything him/herself, but those that know how to utilize the talent around him/her.

If you are an expert marketer then congratulations, but if you know you are better as a performer than marketer, why not invest in someone who can propel your career??
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Do you spend more time marketing or improving your show? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL