The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » Science or No? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I have always marveled at the fact of how it doesn't matter how smart you are for magic to be effective. I am often in situations with political figures, lawyers, accountants and doctors, teachers and professors, captains of industry and many others and find that in magic they are all the same. No matter who they are, you approach them the same way and show them the same thing and they are most times amazed by the same amazement. Smile

I actually proved all this stuff, somewhat scientifically, to myself one day when I showed my eye doctor a little trick using a Retention of Vision vanish. Upon the coin vanishing the Doc just couldn't believe it, shook his head and said, "I'm the one that needs glasses." Smile In front of all his degrees and many awards, I was basically using the physics of his own profession on him and he had no clue.

He asked to see it again and I did it for him in slow motion Smile and the same thing happened as he focused strongly on my hand or so he thought. Smile This time he rubbed his eyes in even further disbelief. To let him off the hook (figured why not use a little misdirection on him), Smile I went on to mention how great I thought all his pretty accomplishments on the wall were. Smile

Works everytime on everybody for the exact same reason, scientifically speaking that is. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Training in whatever disciplines makes you good at them.

Misdirection and deception are different disciplines from those of whom you entertained were trained in.

But it is fun to get 'em all wide eyed in disbelief! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Unless the doctor was trained in Neuroscience, such as was posted elsewhere: http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2892004.htm

I'm not surprised he would be fooled - his training doesn't address those ways that our mind fools us.

Similarly, I've wondered what it is that makes the same trick mysterious to one, but painfully obvious to another. For myself, I think its my training in math/statistics that makes certain mentalism effects (especially ones with equivoques or eliminations) seem very suspicious if not outright obvious. It would seem that the closer one's training is to the method, the more he may notice what is going on, at least after recovering from any misdirection that may have been used (I can still be surprised by simple switches, at least initially, if the presentation is such that I'm not expecting it; such as Sankey's "numb", which is currently playing on his sight. I just missed the obvious, the first time)
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
sal
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of sal
Quote:
On 2011-03-30 19:46, John Long wrote:
Unless the doctor was trained in Neuroscience, such as was posted elsewhere: http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2892004.htm

I'm not surprised he would be fooled - his training doesn't address those ways that our mind fools us.

Similarly, I've wondered what it is that makes the same trick mysterious to one, but painfully obvious to another. For myself, I think its my training in math/statistics that makes certain mentalism effects (especially ones with equivoques or eliminations) seem very suspicious if not outright obvious. It would seem that the closer one's training is to the method, the more he may notice what is going on, at least after recovering from any misdirection that may have been used (I can still be surprised by simple switches, at least initially, if the presentation is such that I'm not expecting it; such as Sankey's "numb", which is currently playing on his sight. I just missed the obvious, the first time)

Love that Sankey effect Numb!!! Have had a lot of fun with it, even in reverse ...( Have them suck the air OUT of the bubble wrap in there closed fist w/cocktail straw - Then blow it back up! gets a good reaction for the same reason it does in the normal effect
Jack_of_chains
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Jack_of_chains
I've heard it said that educated people are easier to fool, because they tend to make predictable assumptions and assume themselves to be perceptive.
Edmark Law
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
62 Posts

Profile of Edmark Law
Even Einstein has been fooled by a simple trick.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Just means they know and think about stuff that readily serves as internal misdirection.

"... and if I wave my hand over the coin (awful close to that odd cuflink) ..."
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Nak
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Nak
Somewhat related, I think that the highly-educated tend to get used to seeing patterns and make assumptions about them (perfect for a retention vanish!) Anyway, here's a very interesting presentation about why people tend to believe certain patterns (and find patterns that aren't really there)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_6-iVz1R......D5A28D17
link8822
View Profile
New user
Central Jersey, NJ
66 Posts

Profile of link8822
There was a article on JREF I read recently that's somewhat related. It's about an article commenting citing a study that showed experts were a bit more bias toward their own findings:

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/swif......pid.html
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
It did surprise me as well when I first started magic. The human is design to focus. We are very good at focusing on one thing. Two things we are ok at. Three things are near impossible.

A great read is SLEIGHTS OF MIND by two neurologists from Arizona. They worked with several magicians that you are familiar with to put their thoughts into print. It is just two years out on the market.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Thus is why it is so much more challenging to do a successful kid's show. The tykes have not yet been trained in logical thinking, so they oftimes see right through what we are doing.

The most talented magicians are those who can fool kids and magician's wives. You should have seen the reaction from magic club members when I voiced my wife's suggestion of having the wives of our magicians judge the next competition! Needless to say, that suggestion was quickly ignored. ; )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Science of Magic » » Science or No? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL