The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Preaching the Gospel in 2011 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Angio333
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Angio333
Magic is a great art. If you are blessed to be able to use your God given talent of magic to help promote the Gospel, are you seizing the opportunity?

It does not matter if we are in a church full of regular church goers, or not, the Gospel needs to be proclaimed. Far too often do we hear messages that only revolves around “Jesus love you,” instead of addressing sin, hell, repentance, and faith in Jesus alone for salvation.

I do not mean to offend anyone or accuse you of not preaching the Gospel. This is just a plea to seize the opportunity if you are not doing so. I do a lot of street preaching a witnessing. I am running into way to many kids who go to youth group and church and do not believe that Jesus is the only way. Sometimes, it seems like atheists know more Christian theology than church going kids.

As we approach 2011, please let me challenge you. If you are not already doing so, seize the opportunity.

The message I am posting below is one of my open air messages. It takes about three minutes. It can easily be adjusted to be placed at the beginning or end of a show. Off course, it can be slightly adjusted for the age of the audience. We should not be afraid of discussing sin and hell with children. They do in other countries where there is real persecution. We can and should do it here. ( Yes – I am a big fan of Way of the Master. I even attended the Ambassador’s Academy.

Ladies and gentlemen, can I have your attention please? I just want to talk to you for a few minutes about something very important, what happens after we die.

Have you ever really thought about it? Sadly, we seem to spend far more time looking into things that will not matter in the end like our next car purchase instead of where we will spend eternity.

Death is real, and we all are part of the ultimate statistic, ten out of ten people die. Over 150,000 people die every day, which works out to be about 2 people every second!

So, let me ask you a question.

If you died today, would you go to Heaven or Hell?

In order to go to Heaven we will have to be seen as righteous in the eyes of the almighty God. Righteous is defined as being morally good. This leads to another question, are you good enough to go to Heaven?

God will use his standard, the Ten Commandments, to see if we are good enough to go to Heaven. If we have violated them, we will be seen as guilty in the eyes of the almighty God.

How have you kept the Ten Commandments?

Let’s go through them and see how you would do.

The First Commandment: “You shall have no other gods before me”

There is more to this commandment than worshipping false gods such Allah, Buddha, or the various gods of the Hindus. It means that we must put God first in our lives. What is the most important thing to you? What do you spend the majority of your time thinking and talking about? Lebron James? The Cleveland Browns? Your job? Your favorite band? Your car? Your house? Your favorite movie star? Whatever you find yourself thinking and talking about the most is or is becoming your god. If you have not always put God first in your life, you will be guilty in the eyes of the almighty God.

The Second Commandment: “You shall not make yourself any graven image”

You do not have to bow down and worship a stone or wooden statue to violate this commandment. This commandment also refers to creating a god in your own mind. Do you believe in a god that would never send anyone to Hell? If so, you have just created a false god in your own mind. There is only one true God, who is the God of the Holy Bible. If you have created a god in your own mind, then you will guilty in the eyes of the almighty god.

The Third Commandment: “You shall not take the Name of the Lord your God in vain”
Have you ever used the name of God as a curse word? Yes, saying phrases such as Oh my G-O-D or using the name of our Lord Jesus Christ when you angry or excited counts. Using His name in that way is blasphemy and it violates God’s law. Even if you did it one time, you will be guilty of violating this commandment in the eyes of the almighty God.

The Fourth Commandment: “Remember to keep holy the Sabbath Day”

Do you set time aside to be with God ? Do you use every opportunity that you have everyday to bring glory to God in all that you do or do you pack your schedule with so many things that do not have time for God? If you do not put time aside for God, you will be guilty in the eyes of the almighty God.

The Fifth Commandment: “Honor your mother and father”

Have you always treated your mother and father with love and respect? How did you treat them when you were a teenager? You cannot use teenage rebellion as an excuse for violating this commandment. Even if you have only dishonored them one time, you would have violated this commandment and will be guilty in the eyes of the almighty God.

The Sixth Commandment: “You shall not kill”

Have you ever committed murder? You may say that I have never murdered anyone, so I have not violated the Sixth Commandment. It may surprise you, but this commandment applies to everyone and we all have violated it. For God judges what is in our hearts as well as our actions. The Bible teaches us that you have committed murder in your heart if you ever hated someone or have been angry with cause. If you have ever hated someone at sometime in your life or have ever been angry without cause, you will be guilty in the eyes of the almighty God.

The Seventh Commandment: “You shall not commit adultery”

Have you committed adultery? You may say that I have never cheated on my wife or husband. Or you may think that this commandment does not apply to you since you are not married, but it does. This commandment applies to everyone and we all are guilty of violating it. During the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said:

“You have heard that it was said, you shall not commit adultery. But I say to you, that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”

For God judges what is in our hearts as well as our actions. If you have ever lusted after someone who is not your spouse, you will be seen as guilty in the eyes of the almighty God.

The Eighth Commandment: “You shall not steal”

Have you ever stolen anything? Have you ever downloaded music without paying for it? Have you ever surfed the internet at work when you were supposed to have been working? Just like you only have to rape someone once to be a rapist, you only have to steal something once to be a thief. If you have ever stolen anything, you will be guilty in the eyes of the almighty God.

The Ninth Commandment: “You shall not lie”

Have you ever told a lie, even so called “white” lie? How many lies did you tell just today? What about in the past week? Just like it only takes one theft to be a thief, it only takes one lie for us to be seen as a liar. If you have ever lied, you will be guilty in the eyes of the almighty God.

The Tenth Commandment: “You shall not covet”

Have you ever coveted something? To covet means to desire wrongfully. Have you ever desired to have your friend’s car, clothing, TV, job, or even his wife? Coveting is not only a sin by itself, but it also leads to other sins such as stealing, lying and adultery. If you have ever coveted anything, you will be guilty in the eyes of the almighty God.
As you can see, we are all guilty of violating every one of the Ten Commandments. For we all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. God must punish sin since he is just and Holy. We all deserve and will spend an eternity in Hell for our transgressions. However, that is not God’s will. God has given us a way to escape the wrath to come. The Bible says;

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”

God sent his son Jesus, who was born of a virgin, to pay the penalty of sin for us. Jesus is fully God and fully man. While on Earth, Jesus lived a sinless life. He died a bloody and horrific death on the cross, was buried, and raised from the dead three days later. When he was crucified on the cross he took our sins upon himself and took the punishment that we deserve. In essence he paid our fine for us so that God can dismiss our case. Due to the Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross, we can spend eternity in Heaven.

In order for us to be granted the forgiveness of our sins and be able to spend eternity in Heaven, we must repent of our sins and believe in Jesus only. To repent means to turn away. If we are truly repenting of our sins we will turn away from our sinful behavior and the sin that we once loved will disgust us.

We must put all of our faith and trust in Jesus alone, for he is the only way. Without Jesus there is no salvation. For Jesus has said:

For I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except through me.”

Repent of your sins and believe in Jesus.

Thank you for your time.
- C
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I also street evangelize, but I don't do open air preaching.

I totally agree with what you say. Most of our youth are drawn to church for all the wrong reasons. I also believe that many of them convert for the wrong reasons simply because some of us preach a different gospel. In other words, some of us preach false converson. "Give your life to the Lord, and He will solve all your problems. Give your life to the Lord, and He will take away all your addictions. All you have to do is repeat this sinner prayer and you will be saved", etc. I'm only giving a few examples, but I know some of you know what I'm talking about.

I have only recently been listening to Ray Comfort's material. I've heard a lot about him, but never paid much attention to him.
I believe in the biblical approach to evangelism, and do not conform to the modern day approach. I'm not saying Ray Comfort is modern day, in fact, what I am saying is that he's not. His approach is very biblical. By that, I mean using the Law.

I've read many of John Wesley's sermon's, the man Ray Comfort credits many times, and I would encourage anyone who feels that God is calling them to evangelize to read the older books and works such as John Wesley. Don't try to learn how to evengelize, learn how to be a good servant for the Lord. Learn what it means to be a true authentic Christian. God will provide you with all the tools you need so in the end you can not boast about your accomplishments. It will all be God's doing, and we will be nothing more than obedient vessels for God's work.

There are so many books on evangelizing. Go into a book store, and you'll notice just about everyone has a book written about evangelizing. Out of all those books on how to evangelize I have never seen what I believe should be on every first page of these books. "Make sure that God has called you to evangelize" Some of us think we don't need to be called anymore.

If you also notice. You'll see that everyone has their own opinion on evangelizing. Some share their experience and what works for them, how they approach people, how to use psychology to your advantage, techniques and tips, etc. I had become discouraged reading these kind of "how to" books because I seen how little God played a role.

I don't encourage everyone to go out and evangelize, because I also don't encourage everyone to go out and become Pastors. But, I would love to encourage everyone to examine themselves (me too) and ask ourselves if we are doing what God wants us to do, or are we turning a blind eye because we want to do what we want to do and justify it by saying we are doing it for the Lord and His Kingdom.

I ask myself this question at least once a week.

I will encourage everyone to get out and be witnesses for Christ. Be examples, we are the Light of the world. Go out and SHINE for Christ!
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Angio333
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Angio333
Great post. I would have to point out that we all are commanded to spread the Gospel. However, not all of us called to be in full time evangelist, missionary, or pastor. I would also agree that not everyone is called to open air preach. However, we all should be doing something to spread the Gospel beyond being nice.

Great point about reading Wesley. I would also suggest reading Spurgeon and Whitefield.
- C
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Spurgen and Whitefield indeed!

God bless you Angio333.

A little off topic but true story.

I was in a large Christian Book Store. As I walked in for the first time I looked around and noticed that books were organized into subjects, just like other bookstores. Bibles were in one section, theology was in other section, biography's in another, and so on. Then, I noticed this small section. The section was called, "Authentic Christianity".

This bookstore was a very large store. It had everything from music, DVD's, ornaments, accessories, books, and here was this small section with the words, "Authentic Christianity". I thought to myself, "What a metaphor for my life right now."

I looked at my life, and noticed I was like this bookstore. I had a lot of knowlegde at my disposal, I had all the tools and accessories too, but authentic Christianity was playing a small part. I got so busy "trying" to be a Christian, I wasn't being completely authentic with God, or with myself.

I remember leaving the store with the image of that small "Authentic Christianity" section, situated almost in the middle of the store, while everything else seemed to consume it.

Merry Christmas everyone!
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2722 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:

It does not matter if we are in a church full of regular church goers, or not, the Gospel needs to be proclaimed. Far too often do we hear messages that only revolves around “Jesus love you,” instead of addressing sin, hell, repentance, and faith in Jesus alone for salvation.

I can appreciate this sentiment, and will want to read through this thread more carefully. But I wanted to post a related personal experience. A few months ago I was at dinner with a friend, and decided to show her some magic tricks (no it wasn't the whole time at dinner Smile). She enjoyed them, but a woman at a table to our side noticed, and asked if I was doing magic, and was interested in seeing what I was doing. Sure. The trick had a mild Biblical theme, and she seemed amazed, and she asked if I knew a certain person (a prolific poster and publisher of magic, in another Café forum), I recognized the name, and he is her boss. Small world.

Latter, I did a small trick with the "Wonderland bill" effect. One side of the paper is made of black paper and the other side is white (or red and white). I showed this to my date, using a patter about how God changes our sin (black) to white/forgiven. Well, our new friend across the way noticed, and wanted to see it too. Sure. So, after I presented it, she had a strange look, and asked "what do you call that?". Her demeanor was very different now. Further commenting that that may be ok in a church, but not to impose it on others.. (you mean like with people that walk over to my table and ask for magic?). So she walked back to her table quite annoyed, to the point where she forgot to take her drink back with her. I wasn't prepared for that reaction.

Anyway, I continue to see that people around me notice my doing magic. This was not the first time that people at a restaurant (or the subway) watch what I am doing for personal friends, and that they will ask to see more. When I noticed this years, I realized that this was a great way to lead into the gospel (if they are asking to see the trick, they are implicitly giving me permission to share the patter I used with that trick), but I would not normally "hit" them with something as blunt as my wonderland bill patter, at least not right away.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
EVENTUCATOR
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of EVENTUCATOR
I can relate to your experience, John Long. I was once invited to do a small act at a Christmas Work break up. I insisted that I do mostly Gospel Magic. I concentrate on 'Gospel Patter' and feel quite out of my depth using any other patter.
Any way, the invitation stood, and 'the inviter' said the Gospel will not hurt them, so I went ahead and did my thing, only to see a couple leave the party on the grounds that it was too "religious"
Angio333
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Angio333
I wouldn't worry about the people who left since it was too religious. The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing. we can only be faithful and preach.

Nice seeing yopu on this forum Eventucator! This is Romans Road from CARM.
- C
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
One day as I was passing a large Church with scores of individuals filing out, God spoke to me...

So many people in the Church...

So little Church in the people.

Preach the Gospel at all times, and if necessary, use words. Live your life in a way that commands attention to its authenticity and unwavering desire to live God's Word.

I am not saying that you should evangelize. I am an Evangelist! But I am say that who are when you think nobody is looking, is who you really are.

God Bless

BroDavid
aka The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Preaching the Gospel in 2011 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL