The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Merry errrrrrrr late December (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2010-12-25 03:32, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-25 01:36, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-24 18:01, gaddy wrote:
Analogous holiday furor:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/12/16......-racism/

OK, not 100% analogous, but still...

OK, I want to see a film on African beliefs with a white guy playing one of THEIR deities.
I take comic books pretty seriously, but even I would not call them a religion.

Also, though my Nordic saga studies are pretty rusty, I'm pretty sure there is nothing in there that says "no blacks in asgard" Maybe "no Swedes", but who knows...

Just sayin' .

How many different races show up in Nordic mythology? How many different races make up those who were worshiping the Norse gods?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
Not quite on the topic perhaps (but then when am I ever), but I grew up in Nigeria from ages 2 to 9, and every Christmas was taken along to see Santa Claus at the local Kingsway store, have a chat with him about what I wanted for Christmas etc. We spent one Christmas back in the UK, and I was taken along to see Santa, as usual, but I came out fuming that he was an impostor, because everyone KNEW that Santa was black, but that guy was white. Rookie error by my parents perhaps, but it had never occurred to them that I'd see past the red and white branding of the generic Santa Claus.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-12-25 04:34, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Analogous holiday furor:

OK, I want to see a film on African beliefs with a white guy playing one of THEIR deities.

Also, though my Nordic saga studies are pretty rusty, I'm pretty sure there is nothing in there that says "no blacks in asgard" Maybe "no Swedes", but who knows...

Just sayin' .

How many different races show up in Nordic mythology? How many different races make up those who were worshiping the Norse gods?
Let's see... Races... Trolls, Giants, goblins, Fae, Humans, Kobolds, Gods...

Am I forgetting anyone?
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2010-12-25 05:44, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Analogous holiday furor:

Just sayin' .

Am I forgetting anyone?

Fair enough. How many races of HUMANS (ie, White, Asian, Latino et al) make up the people who are (or were) worshiping Norse Gods?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
They're not Norse, dang it! They're Danish gods!

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-12-25 12:38, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-12-25 05:44, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Analogous holiday furor:

Just sayin' .

Am I forgetting anyone?

Fair enough. How many races of HUMANS (ie, White, Asian, Latino et al) make up the people who are (or were) worshiping Norse Gods?
Now THAT I couldn't tell you. I suppose you'd have to either look to the source material, and draw knowledge from there (seeing as norse is a mostly dead/marginal religion)... Or ask those white racist hicks who are the ones getting their panties in a twist over the comic book movie. Smile
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'm not getting my panties in a twist so much as I'm getting annoyed at "one way" diversity.

Any previously established white character can be re-imaged and played by a black person and that's just fine.
But if you were to consider a previously established black character and consider a white actor for the role, you'd hear across the country what a horrible racist you were.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Ed, I didn't call you a white racist hick. Just so we're clear on that.
Quote:
On 2010-12-26 20:46, ed rhodes wrote:
I'm not getting my panties in a twist so much as I'm getting annoyed at "one way" diversity.

Any previously established white character can be re-imaged and played by a black person and that's just fine.
But if you were to consider a previously established black character and consider a white actor for the role, you'd hear across the country what a horrible racist you were.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2010-12-26 20:46, ed rhodes wrote:

The opera version of "Othello" (in Italian, "Otello") is one of the great Verdi operas.

I remember one instance - the only time I have heard of it in this opera - the white tenor singing Otello needed to be made up to appear black. The role of Iago was sung by a black baritone, who had to be made up white!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Merry errrrrrrr late December (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL