The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Jeff Dunham Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Scored some tickets for Sunday's show at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. Anyone see the show yet? Pretty excited to see Jeff in an arena setting. I've seen him in comedy clubs, theaters and now arenas. I'll post some pics next week...

Ken
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Can't wait!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
What did you think of the show? I just bought two tickets as a stocking stuffer for my wife. The show is coming to Edmonton in March (last year it was sold out).

Looking forward to it. I wasn't going to buy the tickets until I saw his Christmas show a few nights ago on Comedy Central. I laughed so much that the next day I bought the tickets. Smile

Brian
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
The show is this afternoon at 5 pm...I'm heading out in a bit to take my son. We'll do an early dinner and then the show. My wife bought me his book for Christmas and I haven't been able to put it down. Great read...You might want to pick it up Brian..All By My Selves is the title.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I haven't seen his stadium show. Last time I saw him was at a comedy club just before his first big Comedy Central special about 3 or 4 years ago. Like most comedy acts, he's really best enjoyed live and in person. You won't be disappointed, he puts on a great show.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Just got back from the show. Very good! I've seen Jeff 4 or 5 times, bu the first time in an arena setting. He seemed to be under the weather, had to stop with Walter and call for a bottle of water to be brought out. His female character (sorry, can't remember her name) came up a bit flat. Not many big laughs in her short set. We were treated to some new material with Peanut and Jose after the show and a new character, Achmed's son...It seemed as the show lacked a little pace, but I think that had to do with the holiday break. Overall, very good show...

Ken

Signs were posted for no photography or video during the show, but I took some shots before the show started. I'll post a link so you can see the set up...
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Wow!!! Achmed's son? COOL!!! Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I thought Achmed's son got blown up during the "Take Your Son to Work" day (or whatever it's called).

Wonder how big his family is?

Brian
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Quote:
On 2010-12-29 01:13, Brian Lehr wrote:
I thought Achmed's son got blown up during the "Take Your Son to Work" day (or whatever it's called).

Wonder how big his family is?

Brian

Maybe all of Achmed's sons are from the suicide hotline. Heh, heh, heh...
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Spoiler alert - Achmed's son is partially exploded...
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Quote:
On 2010-12-29 12:52, tacrowl wrote:
Spoiler alert - Achmed's son is partially exploded...

What alert??? No chance not to read the spoiler! Tom, I keeeel you!

Bob
P.S. Seeing JD 1/2/11
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
You'll love the show Bob...everyone dies...(Austin thought Acmed's son look's a little like Two-Face from Batman, Dark Night...
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I had a great compliment last night after doing my New Year's Eve show at our City Hall. One of the City Hall workers had seen my routine with my rabbit in the hat puppet, Benny. I'm not a vent, and Benny whispers in my ear, but the worker said to me that she enjoyed the routine very much as I had reminded her of Jeff Dunham. Woo Hoo! I got a positive comparison to Jeff Dunham! Now I've got to figure out how to use that in my marketing materials. ;-)

Brian
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I just returned home from seeing Jeff’s show with my 10-year old daughter, and we both had a great time. I enjoyed the comedy and the vent. She enjoyed the comedy, the vent, and the “bad” words.

The show was at the Nassau Coliseum here on Long Island, and the place was sold out. The crowd was overwhelmingly blue collar and 99.9% white. I only mention this because it is interesting to think about whether the audience drives the humor or the humor attracts the audience. I suspect some of both.

The show opened with a short segment by a very funny dancing trombonist. Sorry I didn’t catch his name. Then came “Guitar Guy” Brian Haner. I enjoyed his set until he got to his “Arizona” song praising the state’s infamous anti-immigrant law. Haner took an in-your-face-these-are-my-politics-and-if-you-don’t-like-it-too-bad posture and did his song to cheers from many in the crowd, but by no means everyone. I found Haner to be talented, but not all that likeable. But I guess Jeff likes him, as they’ve been touring together for years.

Then there was, after about 25 minutes of show, a 20 minute intermission. At first this struck me as odd, but then it turned out that Jeff went on for 2 straight hours, so my daughter and I were grateful that we had used the intermission to—ahem—stretch our legs.

I was pleasantly surprised that the show was, to me, almost all new material. Jeff opened with Walter. This section included material related to Jeff’s divorce, and I thought it was brave and humanizing for him to do this material. Some of it you can see in the clip Eddie Garland posted here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzHCCaLBUyw

Next came a short segment with Diane, the puppet from the movie "Dinner with Schmucks." I thought the material was good, but is clearly still under development. I was very impressed, though with Jeff’s manipulation of the figure. She was very life-like. I think it’s fair to say that one should not expect as much from a new character as one does from those who’ve been the act for 20 years. Jeff is clearly still feeling his way with her, but I think she has a good future as a secondary character.

Achmed was next, with virtually all new material, and he got great laughs and a great reception from the crowd. Finally, it was time for Peanut and, eventually, José. I’ve read a few reviews that found Peanut too hyper and annoying, but I enjoyed him thoroughly. He’s better live than on the DVD’s, I think. Peanut is by far the most politically incorrect of the puppets, but Jeff does a good job of neutralizing this by his own annoyance and exasperation at what Peanut is saying. I was about to write that if I were Asian-American I would be offended by some of the routine, but then I wasn’t offended by the jokes about Jews (of which I am one), so I’ll let Asian audience members comment on that—not that I saw any in the crowd.

After the show was officially over, Jeff had us stick around to see new material he was working on with a new character, Achmed’s son. This is clearly a work in progress. The puppet is, I think, genuinely disturbing looking, as he’s been half blown up. Think of Schartzenegger’s face in “Terminator II” when half the cyborg’s face is gone, and you’ll get the idea. To me it was interesting seeing a pro work on new material in front of a [very supportive] audience.

One thing that came out during this part of the show is that Jeff uses a TelePrompter during the whole show. I had been wondering why he kept using a little hand-held remote control device during the show. OK. Two hours of new material—he’s forgiven!

As I said at the outset, I enjoyed the show very much, minor quibbles and the blue-collar sensibility notwithstanding. If you’re looking for Sahl-Carlin-Klein level humor, you won’t find it in Jeff’s show. If you’re easily offended by politically incorrect humor and four-letter words, look elsewhere. But don’t forget that a ventriloquist—a VENTRILOQUIST!—is selling out sports arenas. Jeff is surely helping the rest of us who can only dream of success like his.

Bob

P.S. Jeff announced that the show was being taped for an upcoming segment on “Nightline,” so be alert for that.
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
Bob that was a great review!!
Thanks,
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I agree with Dan, excellent review. Thanks for sharing Bob!
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Jeff Dunham Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL