The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Giving credit ?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
Does Boeing have to give credit to the Wright Brothers or ATT have to thank Bell or GM to Ford for the modern assembly line hasnt magic gone a bit over the top
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4826 Posts

Profile of gdw
Well, It'd be more akin to Boeing implying they invented flight/the airplane.

I don't think anyone has gone "too far." In magic, it really seems to be a matter of respect.
Also, seeing as how there is no IP protection in magic from any "government," It must be pretty impressive to some, especially if others think crediting et al may have gone "too far."
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3319 Posts

Profile of gaddy
We honor our own; and most people want credit (or cash) for their achievements.

It's pretty simple when you think about it.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
For me, the Golden Rule justifies it enough. But when studying, knowing the lineage is helpful in backtracking what has already been figured out.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think there's a relevant distinction between art and business here.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16355 Posts

Profile of tommy
To be a good magician you have to be a good historian.

-Ricky Jay

I think!

:)
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4826 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-12-24 19:26, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
For me, the Golden Rule justifies it enough. But when studying, knowing the lineage is helpful in backtracking what has already been figured out.

I'd go with the platinum rule.

But, as Josh is saying, it is not just for those being credited, but for those doing the crediting, as well as those who will read/hear the crediting.

That is, it is in your own best interest to credit, and credit well. Not just for your own learning, but it will benefit those learning from you, assuming we are talking about crediting in a release. The better job you do for your customers, in turn, the more they will return, so again, it is in your own interests. Also there is the fact that, as Lee Asher puts it, if you don't credit who you learn from, who will be likely to credit you in the future?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
As a matter of fact Boeing does give a nod to the Wright Brothers, AT&T was started by Bell so, yeah, they absolutely acknowledge him, Ford also gets credit for the assembly line. I think you tried to make a point but missed with your examples.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27226 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-12-24 14:21, brangwinj wrote:
Does Boeing have to give credit to the Wright Brothers or ATT have to thank Bell or GM to Ford for the modern assembly line hasnt magic gone a bit over the top

One could take the opposite tact and point out that we have a long published record of card assembly routines using gaffs called everything but a variation on Hofzinser's Power of Faith. His routine includes the line about choosing one's King and has the Kings (or Jacks/Knaves in another version in his Card Conjuring) assembling into a pile chosen by the volunteer.

What I want to know is who gets the credit for tabling the ace of spades and calling it the master ace.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2464 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
"Ladies and gentlemen, this treatment of the rising rope was developed by Nebesh Shepsut in Egypt in 2486 BC, with improvements by Hardeen and David Copperfield ... do I hear snoring out there? You, sir, come back! There will be more tricks as soon as I give proper credit!"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27226 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Aside from a presentation for magic historians or perhaps for newbies at a special event... what would motivate a performer to have a "History Channel" type presentation, especially when discussing what's relevant in detail could compromise the routine's climax if not the method as well?

Perhaps one could have such a character proffering entirely fictitious history of a sort where the rope was passed down from teacher to student at a certain time in their education in magic, and your intent is to share feelings about learning to do that particular feat of magic.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Giving credit ?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL