We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Are there any vent conferences in the US? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Yeah, when I started there were no other vents I was aware of. Then John Toddhunter won the Ted Mack amateur hour and I was delighted to find that he lived in my town.
He moved pretty quickly, but Lucille Elmore had retired here, and I took Louie for an afternoon with her and her figures (I wonder what ever happened to them?). She gave me an autographed Vegas program, and Toddhunter (who was, at that point, had discarded the "John" and was working under his last name, parted in the middle) showed up and I was in Heaven.
But that was rare...and the only visit. As I say, he moved away and, though she stayed in town and did charity shows and the like, our paths never crossed again for some reason.

There were more magicians in town, and I did magic in my act, too. There was a lovely little magic shop where we could meet and trade passes and the like...but it was on the other side of town and I had managed to overschedule myself and didn't get there as often as I could.

But I bought things there and watched Chuck Larkey demonstrate them for me.
And bought things through the Vick Lawston catalogue.
And there have been a couple of other little shops, too.

When I first found this place, I came on and started eagerly asking about the names of some of the magic I owned...because some of it I bought second-hand and had no idea of its history. That's been terribly useful.

And, as I started as a vent (I've got a picture of me with my first little Jerry Mahoney dummy when I was four years old. I should use that as a pro pic! It's already in the computer), this little corner was a particular delight for me. I've found nothing else quite like it. There have been other sites, but they aren't very well attended, and a simple conversation can sometimes take months. And they disappear.

Except for Lucille Elmore and Todd Hunter in my junior high school days, I never met another vent until...hm. I'm trying to remember actually meeting another vent in my adult days.
Hm.
I'll have to get back to you on that.

-Philip
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
(And by "meet," I mean face-to-face. I've met lots in the last few years, but mostly through here or through Puppets&Props or through other blogs)
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
That's one of the great things about the convention and get-togethers. After talking to other vents on-line, or hearing about them, or reading about them in some of the few publications there used to be for vents, seeing them in pictures posted, it was cool to get to meet the people in person.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of maps
I am planning to got to VentHaven 2011.Anyone can recommend what to do/places to visit after the conference? I fly half way round the world and would like to stay longer to get to know some of you longer as well as to learn more about figure making and venting or anything to do with puppets or magic.
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
With the conVENTion being officially over on Saturday, July 16, many of the vents don't leave until Sunday and some hang around another day or two even after that, so you may make contact with some of those folks and visit and learn from them. I don't know who they are...it probably varies from year to year..but I would ask around. You might also want to check to see if you can arrange a private viewing of the Vent Haven Museum that following week after the ConVENTion. You would need to contact Jen (Jennifer) Dawson, the curator, in advance and ask her about it,

Sight seeing wise, Cincinnati, OH (which is just 15 minutes away) has a wonderful zoo, shopping, a big amusement park called Kings Island, and is the home of the professional baseball team the Cincinnati Reds. You could see if they will be in town during the conVENTion and could possible catch a game, if you're interested in sports.

The next vent event, which is small, is the Abbott's Magic Get Together, in mid-August in Colon, Michigan. They have a very small vents only sesssion, but you'd have to wait around almost a month to just catch this. It's hosted by the Abbott's Magic Company. Sorry I don't have an email or website on them for you.

There's not that much for vents, unfortunately. I know my friend Dan Willinger has a one or two day mini-convention so you might check with him via this site. I'm not totally sure of the dates (it may be over by the time Vent Haven rolls around..), but it's worth asking.

Hope this helps in some small way!

Mark

markwade@kidshowvent.com
Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
Another major attraction in the Ft. Mitchell area is the "Answers in Genesis" creation museum. The Drawbridge Inn runs buses to and from the museum. Plan on taking an entire 8 hour day to see this place. It has walk through models of Noah's Ark and tons of animated dinosours etc. Very interesting. We will probably go back again this year. They are also opening up an amusement park next to it called "Noah's Ark". If it is anything on the caliber of the museum, that will also be a fun day.

Steve
http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-12-29 07:30, kidshowvent wrote:
You would need to contact Jen (Jennifer) Dawson, the curator, in advance and ask her about it,

Wait a minute, what happened to Lisa Sweasy, I thought she was the curator - although I do remember there being a second one I only met once, is that her?

BTW, anyone here from Boston, I know there's Dan, and I thought someone else mentioned they're from Boston - I'm wondering if there's other hotels within walking distance of the Hyatt that might be a little cheaper than the Hyatt.

maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of maps
Thanks Mark and Steve.I definitely want to visit the museum and Noah's Ark sounds good.
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
As I read the comments I want to say that the Hyatt that I chose for our Birthday Bash on Oct 8th 2011 is a fantastic hotel that gave me a terrific rate and the room will accomodate up to 4 people with no added expense so if you can double or triple or even quad the room it really becomes very inexpensive. Here is the link for the birthday bash and then click on the link for the Hyatt Place and take a look. I know you will be impressed. http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com/birthdaybash/
Space is limited so make sure you register and save.
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
Dave I forgot to say that there are no other hotels that are in walking distance to the Hyatt Place. Unfortunatelt it is not set up like where they have the Vent Haven ConVENTion with a Super 8 right next door.
Sorry Dan
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
Hey Mark I wanted to say thanks for the plug on my Birthday Bash. It will be a fun time for sure but nothing can take the place of the ConVENTion. So folks make sure you register for the Vent Haven ConVENTion and then a few months later is my birthdat bash. Birthday Bash i8s Oct 8th 2011.
Dan
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Dan - thanks for the info on the hotels (or lack thereof). Can't double up to share the cost since my girlfriend is coming with me, not to take part in any of the day's activities, just for the sake of going someplace (that's why I'm only one registration for the bash). So I guess it's just as well, looks like a nice place for her to enjoy the day while I'm otherwise occupied and as far as the price goes, if there's no place else close available, oh well, it's not like I do this every day.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Are there any vent conferences in the US? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL