The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Countryman e2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
Are any of you using the new countryman e2? I currently have an e6 but am about to order the e2 along with sennheiser g3 evolution system
ventgreg
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of ventgreg
I just tried the E2 Countryman a few weeks ago and am switching to the E6. The gain before feedback is lower on the E2 than the E6 (I think that's how you'd phrase it) and gave me some feedback issues before achieving the level I was wanting. Now grant it, I was using a portable system in a room with not the best acoustics so perhaps this wasn't a fair test. My E6 is on backorder and should arrive this week so am looking forward to giving it a try. This is my first experience with headset mics (have been using a Shure Beta 58A on a stand). I'd be curious to hear others thoughts as well.
Greg
jonathandupree
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of jonathandupree
Greg
Thanks man. Did you hve the e2 for general speech or strong vocals? How did you like the fit? The e6 c always picks up my breathing and pops some but other than that I love it, but k it recently broke after 5 years. So I am going to give the e2 a try.
ventgreg
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of ventgreg
Hi Jonathan,
I use for general speech only. No singing. I'm a full time vent so this transition to a headset mic has been a bit of a learning process for me. Rather than purchase online, I went to a local reputable sound system company in my area. This company allowed me to try out an E2 (without purchasing) right before Christmas. I only had the Shure 58A handheld to compare it to and didn't think the E2 gave me the tonal quality and gain I was used to with the handheld. I have a fellow vent friend who is using the E6 and really likes it. He told me he's used an E2 on several occasions and found the E6 to be more to his liking. I'll get my first chance to try the E6 in about 2 weeks.

The sales person who I've been dealing with also mentioned breathing and popping noises. He said it was all about the mic positioning-not to get the mic right at the mouth and also a bit of self training or conditioning to avoid these puffs of air out the corner of the mouth. (You have more knowledge at this than I do but I think the E2 will be similar in noise pick up.) Countryman offers a flexible boom/earpiece version (called ILT) and a rigid version that is meant to be shaped once and then left. I was told to get the rigid version as I'd have less trouble keeping the headset/mic positioned the same for each performance. If several different performers will be using the same mic, than the ILT version is the way to go. Oh and I learned from my fellow vent friend to run the cable down the inside front of my shirt rather than down my back. The weight of my sport coat or jacket hanging on the cord is less likely to cause the ear piece to shift.

As I understand, the E6 can be purchased either as omnidirectional or unidirectional. The salesman recommended the E6 omni version if I go with the E6. The E2 comes only as unidirectional. I understand the shorter boom and unidirectional setup is what precipitates the lower gain before feedback. I did position my speakers about 30 feet away on either side of my performance position (and slightly forward of me) but I still had to drop the volume to avoid feedback.

This learning process is ongoing for me and I'll have a better comparison report after test driving the E6 in a few weeks. Hopefully some other experienced E6 or E2 user can chime in here.
Greg
ventgreg
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of ventgreg
Just reread my post and I should have said if running the mic cable down your back, the jacket or coat has a tendency to weigh more heavily on the cable, causing the ear piece to more likely shift when turning your head. By running the cable down the inside front of your shirt, you avoid this drag on the cable. Hope that makes more sense.

Greg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Countryman e2 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL