The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Teaching a Class? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
What would be good effects to teach a summer camp class of 6 to 9 year olds?
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Loopy Lu
View Profile
New user
Norfolk, U.K.
2 Posts

Profile of Loopy Lu
hmmm, I would say Professors Nightmare. It is quite easy to do, very easy to teach, and it has the 'secret' move in it to make them feel like they are actually doing the magic themselves. The props are also cheap, which has to be a bonus!
Smile and the world smiles with you,

cry and you're on your own!
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Mark:

Here are some things that have worked well for me, when teaching workshops for that age group -

1. 3 card monte
2. Fortune Fish
3. Sheep and Thieves (coins)
4. 21 card trick (reduced to 15 cards)
5. Jumping Cigar Band (done with cheap ring)
6. Coin thru Hanky
7. Cords of Fantasia
8. Loop da Loop (from Walter Gibson book)
9. 2 to 1 string
10. Magic Genie Cards (out to lunch principle

Hope this helps you, Mark!

Ron Reid
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
You tought 3 card monte to "6" to 9 year olds?

I did have Sheeps and Thieves on my list but it will be called "Me and the Cookie Jar" (watch out for MOM) a small childrens routine I wrote.
Magically,
Mark

Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Mark:

Yes, I teach kids the 3 card monte - we go over the entire book by School for Scoundrels...I teach them the "real work". Just kidding!

I teach the standard "slum" version of 3 card monte...similar to the "tree" card monte that Royal sells, but without the special tree card.

It's probably the kids favorite. In fact, I have to make up 150 of them tonight for a series of workshops I'm doing tomorrow morning. I never leave home without this trick.

Ron Reid
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
this is a very good topic! thanks for posting, i was just contemplating if it would be a good idea to give classes, thanks again
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I'd teach kids three card monte but i'd want a 25$ commison their takings.
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
246 Posts

Profile of gocall911
I did a 4-H camp a while back where I had to teach the kids magic. I went with really basic stuff for these kids (age 5 to 10).

I made up magic wands and showed them the magnetic wand as well as showing how to make a wand apper out of a doller bill. Rub away coin is also good. The linking paper clips was the biggist hit of the day along with the jumping rubber bands.

It was a hour class and that's about all we had time for (cause I had to go around and help every one get it right). I don't know how long or how big your class will be but don't expect be able to teach a ton of stuff but do be ready for that I had one class that was just great and I had extra time left over even after teaching every thing I planed and then some.

Good Luck!

Caleb

PS. One last note watch out for the really young ones some of them will get really upset if they don't understand a trick. Smile
"Use your head." ~Dai Vernon~
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
Thanks to all for this timely and informative topic. I will be doing a mini-workshop for kids at a camp in August, and had been wondering about some of the very things mentioned here.
One effect I will add though is the disappearing pencil and quarter trick found in "Magic for Dummies". Specifically because it teaches the basic principles of magic.

Thanks again, phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
how much do you all charge per costomer?
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Jumping rubber band, good thing you reminded me, thanks for all of the good ideas, keep them coming.

The class is 6 - 1 hour classes!
Magically,
Mark

Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Mark:

I highly recommend you buy the Brian Flora tape, "How to Teach a Magic Class." It really changed how I look at classes - I now approach them as more of a show/class and I'm getting much more satisfying results. The kids still get the good stuff to take home, but teaching-tricks are broken up with performance-only pieces. I just got back from teaching a series of classes at a local science camp, and had one class with 65 students! I would've died if I was just teaching magic, but did the show/class instead. I credit the late Brian Flora for this wonderful idea. Here's what I did:

1. Warm up - Pom Pom Pole
2. Magician's Oath (Dave Risley idea..funny)
3. Three Card Monte - slum version
4. Fortune Fish
5. Balancing Eagle
6. Balloon Schtick
7. Finger Trap
8. Shrinking/Growing Head Optical Illusion

I had ages 6 - 12, and everyone was happy. It was very satisfying to me too.

Other guys that teach classes take a similar approach: Dave Risley and Ralph the Great come to mind.

Ron Reid
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
246 Posts

Profile of gocall911
Quote:

One effect I will add though is the disappearing pencil and quarter trick found in "Magic for Dummies". Specifically because it teaches the basic principles of magic.

I had this one in as well but ran out of time. I did get to teach one class this one and went over preaty well although some of the younger one did have trouble with it.
"Use your head." ~Dai Vernon~
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Where might I find the tape "How to Teach a Magic Class."? Any places with good deals on the tape?

Thanks Smile
Magically,
Mark

Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Mark:

You can get it from either Flora and Company (www.floraco.com) or Stevens Magic (www.stevensmagic.com). Unfortunately, as you may know, Flora's stuff is expensive - this tape is $55.00 for about an hour tape. Other than Joe Stevens, I know of no one else who has the tape. Limited availability is probably why the tape is so high priced in today's market.

Most people will probably watch the tape, and say it's a rip-off for that amount, but it's been gold for me.

I do see it on ebay from time to time. There's also a volume two in the HTTAMC series, done by Dave Risely. It's good too, but I like volume one better.

Ron
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Ron,

Does the tape teach you how to do a one day or one week class?
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
These are all great ideas. Just make sure you also teach the kids what it means to be a magician. Talk to them about keeping the secreat and the importance of practice and presentation. if you get the kids to learn this early on, they will tend to remember it more as they are learning the effects you will be showing them.
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Mike:

The Flora and Risley tapes demonstrate a 1 hour class, but they can be adapted anyway you want. That's really all I've done. I've just plugged in different effects to teach them. You can lengthen or shorten the workshop. This summer, I just finished doing a series of workshops for 6 and 7 year olds - each workshop was 2 hours long. I would've been dead and kids would've been climbing the walls if I approached it my old way. But using Flora's approach, it was a huge success, and I have his tapes to thank for that.

The tapes teach you how to work with kids, proper attitudes, group management, marketing the class, etc. So, the actual class is the biggest part of the tapes, but there's quite a bit more.

Also, Flora has an audio tape for $17.50 that's called, "Teaching a Magic Class" and it's very good too - and a lot cheaper.

My philosophy has changed a lot since I bought these tapes. As Flora says, "Your main goal is to teach the kids easy, simple things they can do to show their family and friends. You're not teaching them any of the real work. You're not teaching them 'The Art of Magic'." I agree with all that he says on the tape.

Ron
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you Ron,

I will purchase the tapes some time this/next week.

Abracadabra,

Dynamike
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Dynamike,

PM me with your email address and I will send an excerpt from Success in Magic Volume Two where I outline a two week summer course in magic I used to teach in upstate NY. I think it may help.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Teaching a Class? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL