The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » 101 double lifts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
amagish
View Profile
New user
Dan Turcotte
57 Posts

Profile of amagish
It's is not worth doing a double lift if you have to set up. I have a lesson on the "no set-up double lift on my site if anyone is interested. http://www.YouDoMagic.com Smile
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2003-08-26 21:46, amagish wrote:
It's is not worth doing a double lift if you have to set up.

Hmmm...people that seem to have disagreed
with you:

Ed Marlo
Dai Vernon
Larry Jennings

I think it depends on HOW you set it up.
The idea of no get-ready is only one of
the advantages of Ron Bauer's lift.

Steven Youell
http://www.cardguy.net
invalidity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of invalidity
I'm still practicing a push-off double lift myself. I'm getting there, the cards are not in perfect register but I'm getting there. I learnt it off Ellusionist's Ambitious Card Video (Crash Course 2) where it is taught in some detail. I'm not sure of the original source though.

As for the cards not being in perfect register, if the deck is tilted towards the magician and the move is smooth enough, it should go unnoticed. Or that is the theory anyway.... Smile I am still not 100% in performance situations, so I wonder what others will have to say about this.
gio
View Profile
Loyal user
Genova - Italy
247 Posts

Profile of gio
Quote:
On 2003-08-26 21:46, amagish wrote:
It's is not worth doing a double lift if you have to set up. I have a lesson on the "no set-up double lift on my site if anyone is interested. http://www.YouDoMagic.com Smile

Can we see a demo of it? The links on your home page don't work for me. The ones on the double-lift open a new copy of the home-page, others ask for a password...
Even the link on buying guarantee gives an error.
I don't thinks it's a problem with my browser because I've tried both Netscape and IE.

Cheers,
Gio
Seth
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Seth
Hi, Mr. Youell, would you happen to have a year and issue reference for the magicana with Mr. Bauer's double lift? Thanks very much. Is it not published elsewhere?
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2003-07-23 11:58, Larry Davidson wrote:
My suggestion is that you learn one natural-looking double lift and perform it to perfection.

I understand what you mean. I wish to say same thing. However, in magic world, there are many kinds of joy, performing, watching, creating, studying and just collecting so on.

If we have sessions on Internet, we can't avoid this kind of intermingled states.

If you are a performer, I definitely recommend to practice a few good Double Lifts deeply as Larry mentioned.

Hideo Kato
vootrage
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of vootrage
To me the push off is almost never 100% guaranteed to be able to push off exactly two but then of course I may need more practice!
amagish
View Profile
New user
Dan Turcotte
57 Posts

Profile of amagish
HI Gio,
I missed your post but all the links work on my site. No demo because that shows the technique I use and teach.

Thanks,
Dan Turcotte
April 26, 2004 - 9:21 AM EST
xformer7
View Profile
Veteran user
Central NJ
311 Posts

Profile of xformer7
Quote:
On 2003-08-27 06:55, Seth wrote:
Hi, Mr. Youell, would you happen to have a year and issue reference for the magicana with Mr. Bauer's double lift? Thanks very much. Is it not published elsewhere?

November, 1982 Magicana
AndrewG
View Profile
Regular user
UK
101 Posts

Profile of AndrewG
Quote:
On 2004-04-26 11:16, xformer7 wrote:
Quote:

November, 1982 Magicana

Is it the same one published in his "Think Like A Conjuror" series (Mechanical deck routine I think)?

Thanks
Andrew
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Double Take by Greg Wilson is the best on this subject!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
The topic of this post gave me an idea. Let's see, pulling together all our magical knowledge, if we can name 101 double lifts. Go!
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Okay, bumbleface, here goes nothing...

Crook Double (Ouellet)
Drawback Double Lift (Curry)
Dai Vernon Double Lift
Instantaneous Double Lift (Dr. Daley)
Knockout Double Lift (Nash)
Snap-Over Double Lift (LePaul)
Snap Double (Jennings)
Kick Double (Lorayne)
Leipzig Double Lift
Push-Off Double (Vernon)
D'Amico's One Handed Double
Diving Board Double (Asher)
Instant Double (Hamman)
Natural Double Lift (Krenzel)
Hit Double (Marlo)
Upstanding Double (me!)

... next?
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2004-04-26 16:36, AndrewG wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-04-26 11:16, xformer7 wrote:
Quote:

November, 1982 Magicana

Is it the same one published in his "Think Like A Conjuror" series (Mechanical deck routine I think)?

Thanks

No. The DL in the "Mechanical Deck" is Vernon's. It is, however, the best description of Vernon's DL ever written. If you can't learn it from RB's writeup, you can't learn it! His own DL is on his website, demo only, so you can see it even if you can't learn it. I have used RB's DL for 15 years and, barring specific circumstances that call for another type of double, I use it exclusively. There are some situations where the handling of the cards requires another type of double if you are going to carry the illusion and eliminate tells. Then I use the Vernon DL or one of Marlo's.

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
xformer7
View Profile
Veteran user
Central NJ
311 Posts

Profile of xformer7
With the unequivocal endorsement of Misters Youell and Chosse, it would be foolish not to find a way to get your hands on and study Ron Bauer's DL.
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
Keep'um coming! Great job NeoMagic....
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
Everybody has his favorite dl. Find your grooooooove.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Double Take is an excellent video.
Also the whole Card College set by Giobbi is very good but you won't find all the double lifts in one area.
They are spread out across all the books.
Daniel Faith
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Hello all
For many many years my DL has served me oh so well. BUT age has crept up and has attacked my pinky, the main assistant in my DL, making it painful and awkward to perform. So now I need a replacement that makes no demands on the little fellow. I seriously am in need of suggestions please.

On another note. I recently had the pleasure of spending a while in the company of Nicholas Einhorn-he of Spooked. For a long while now I have considered purchasing this item but having read the varied reports from you out there I dallied.
At my request Nicholas performed Spooked, now I perform Spooked.

It features at most of my bookings, or whenever I have the perfect situation for a jaw dropper. It just sits there purring, ready and eager. It is very comforting to know that I always have something special up my sleeve.

Let me assure you, it is terrific and oh so easy in execution and it does not require the use of my little finger. Big impact for little effort.

My best regards and thank you in advance, Philippe Philippe. (My parents stuttered at the christening)
dmk_kirkland
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of dmk_kirkland
A few more double lifts:

Stuart Gordon double turnover
Derek Dingle Double Lift
Illogical Double Lift (Lorayne ?)
Brother John Hamman double lift
Ross Bertram double lift

There are also a few double lifts from the center of the deck and from a fan. A few of these can be found in Card College.

When I talked to Ron Bauer about his double lift he said the description wasn't as clear as he would have liked. He was going to do another write on this but he hasn't gotten around to it yet.
Cheers,
David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » 101 double lifts (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL