The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » 101 double lifts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Tom Gaddis
View Profile
Regular user
Maui
143 Posts

Profile of Tom Gaddis
If you'd like to see Ron Bauer doing a double lift, (Two Card Turnover Technique - TTT) go to:

http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com

and click on the "Click Here For Latest" link.

Regards,

Tom
"The dumber people think you are. The more surprised they'll be when you kill them."
Delly
View Profile
New user
France
38 Posts

Profile of Delly
I guess the best double-lift is something personal,
it must be near as possible with your "simple lift move".
no ?
---------------------
Smile Life IS Magic Smile
Mito
View Profile
Veteran user
Japan
319 Posts

Profile of Mito
A couple more:
Collins DL
Tamariz DL

These 2 use a similar principle...outjogging a single card on the replacement.
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Don't you guys think it's sort of unnecessary to learn 100 ways of doing a DL? why not learn just one good one, and make it perfect??
just my 2 cents..Smile
Mito
View Profile
Veteran user
Japan
319 Posts

Profile of Mito
I'd say I need about 3 for the stuff I do.
It all depends:
Am I lifting from the deck or a packet?
Do I have time for a get-ready?
Condition of the cards--borrowed deck etc.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2004-04-27 04:12, Philippe wrote:

For many many years my DL has served me oh so well. BUT age has crept up and has attacked my pinky, the main assistant in my DL, making it painful and awkward to perform. So now I need a replacement that makes no demands on the little fellow. I seriously am in need of suggestions please.

Which DL were you previously using? You could try Dr. Daley's Instantaneous Double Lift or the Dai Vernon Double Lift.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Hello NeoMagic

Thank you for your response. I have been using the Pinky count. Any thing requiring the Pinky to hold a break is out now so that eliminates Dai Vernons DL>
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2004-04-30 10:31, Philippe wrote:

Thank you for your response. I have been using the Pinky count. Any thing requiring the Pinky to hold a break is out now so that eliminates Dai Vernons DL

I use the Vernon DL quite often but never with a pinkie count or other get-ready, it's possible to do without once you get a "feel" for it. You could also try the Leipzig DL or any method where the get-ready/count is actioned at the outer left corner with the thumb. Give the Strike Double a try as well as has been mentioned.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Mito
View Profile
Veteran user
Japan
319 Posts

Profile of Mito
I have a slight variation of the get-ready for the push-off double in Expert Card Technique, requiring no little finger break, which works great for me. My little finger's fine, but I still prefer this way.
Rather than having to shift the break from second to little finger after the "squeeze", the cards are buckled up only touching the THIRD finger with which the break is then held. The dbl can be pushed off from there quite easily.
The face-up double can be held with a 3rd finger break too, if you like.

(I think I was vague enough to keep this in this forum)
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Vague enough but clear. Thank you Mito.
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Quote:
On 2004-04-26 09:22, amagish wrote:
HI Gio,
I missed your post but all the links work on my site. No demo because that shows the technique I use and teach.

Thanks,
Dan Turcotte
April 26, 2004 - 9:21 AM EST

I agree with Gio; the point is not to tip the method but rather show us a performance. If a performance would tip the method then the audience would see it also rendering it a useless sleight. Do you understand what we mean here? I find you site interesting and would like to buy several of the downloads, but not before I see them performed. If a performance gives up the move then I have to question its appliciability. How else can we judge its practicality?
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
To find the Double lift that suits you, I think the best approach is to look at yourself doing a single-lift, and then try to do a double the same way Smile

Practice makes perfect
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
I don't think anyone has mentioned that Harry Lorayne has a very easy to do and pretty much fool proof DL in _Close Up Card Magic_. I don't remember what it's called but something like Fool Proof Double.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
Just a comment about the snap double vs. the strike double. I've practiced both these for about five years now. The snap double you always know where you’re at. You thumb count the number of cards you need before you do the move. Its pretty much fool proof. You do have to use misdirection.

The Strike Double is much more natural. The problem is sometimes, especially in performance mode, I miss and the finger only picks up one card, and you KNOW right away. You can let the card stay on the deck, but it really looks awkward to not take the card and then go back a second time.
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
200 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
I actually hate to give this away, but it has helped my card magic so much I can't resist.

For me the most convincing (ie. looks like one card turned over) and natural double I've studied is...

The Vernon 2 card push-off explanation from Darwin Ortiz at the CardTable, pg. 154

This thing, when done correctly looks like one bloody card!! Turned over naturally!! And when practised can be done without any thought to the move at all. And!! you will never miss! Basically you can begin to forget about doing a double, how good would that be!!

Sure you have to pinky count quite well, but that's not a bad thing, and quite frankly that's the other secret move I hate to mention. Smile

The secrets out! Go forth and turn...over two....that look like one...but are really more...you get the idea.

Brian
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
Sorry, Brian, but I can't see how a explanation written in another man's book can be your secret in any ways Smile

But thank you for the tip anyway!
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
200 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
Hey Samuel,

Lighten up! I didn't say it was MY secret. Wow!! thanks for reminding me why I don't post here very much. geez.

B.

P.S. I do hope Mr. Ortiz's explanation helps you, sounds like you need it!
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
There are a various different Double Lifts!
I sugest you to pick one you like and make it perfect one!
Just a thought!
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
juggle
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of juggle
I am wondering where those of you who use the strike double grip the double. Many performers seem to grip the double on the center (of the long side) but it seems to me that it looks better to grip the double closer to the corner. However, this is a bit brittle for me, increasing the risk that the cards will misalign slightly. Does anyone have any advice on this?
HypnoticQueen
View Profile
New user
Quebec
52 Posts

Profile of HypnoticQueen
Its totally waste of time to master 100 double lifts ,you should master 1 or 2 to perfection , there is no need to learn 100 but when the time comes you cant do even 1 of them correctly , you should stick to 1 double Lift and master it, double lift is really a hard sleight most people getting started thinks its easy but you cant get perfect unless you practice it years and million times.

I think 1 should start with basic lift then move to fancy ones but once again as I said no need to learn 100 DL's its totally waste of time you can learn lots of other sleights instead of DL's.Some good ones-

1.Stud Two-Card Pushoff Lift
2.Natural Double Lift
3.Ultra Natural "p.Wilson"

all of these require a lot of practice to get them down,Good point no get ready's
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » 101 double lifts (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL