The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 09:32, Woland wrote:

4) Not to change the subject, but as an example of how environmentalist government interference hurts rather than helps: Eight of the 10 metropolitan areas in the USA with the worst unemployment are in California, and 7 of those are in the "Central Valley." These communities now have unemployment rates of from 16% to 30%. The Central Valley was once the most productive agricultural region in the world; the value of its produce was, IIRC, roughly equivalent to the economy of Belgium. Now, almost 25% of the families in the Central Valley are on "government assistance" in order to eat.

How did this Zimbabwefication of a rich agricultural region in America come about? Simply by government fiat. A Federal judge, acting on a lawsuit by environmentalists to protect a fish called the "Delta smelt" shut off water supplies to farmers in the Central Valley. Without water from irrigation, the Valley is turning into a desert.

In 2001, California's Central Valley's biggest industry, agriculture, racked up $27 billion in revenues.

http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/features......_valley/

Last year, the Central Valley's oranges, melons, alfalfa and other crops generated $34 billion.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/31/......20101231

Doesn't sound like the Central Valley is doing too badly. Especially given that a financial crisis / recession was (still is?) going on not that long ago.

BTW, Belgium's economy is about $381.4 billion (in 2009). So you're only off there by a factor of about 10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Belgium
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
I've no idea who the exact culprits are John,though they will be in some way allied to a money making foundation.Obviously the largest money making foundation is the government.
A rough guide to.....Propoganda:
As a general rule, propaganda is broken up into three main types. Black propaganda uses patently false information which cannot be verified to manipulate the viewer into thinking a particular way about a certain issue. Gray propaganda involves the use of information which is difficult to attribute, and may be considered questionable. White propaganda is true, and is not usually intended to deceive. A number of techniques can be used to determine whether or not something is propaganda, but as a general rule, you should always examine the source of your information with care.....
Under which hue do you think the global warming alliance sit?
Fwiw,I believe that man has,and continues to play a very large part in the whole "warming" debate.That's a large part,not fully.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Well, balducci, unemployment in the Central Valley metro regions is still 16 to 30% - I'd wager the unemployed don't think it is doing as well as you do.

Other sources have other numbers. From the Wikipedia, referencing the US Geological survey:

Quote:
The Central Valley is one of the world's most productive agricultural regions. On less than 1 percent of the total farmland in the United States, the Central Valley produces 8 percent of the nation’s agricultural output by value: 17 billion USD in 2002. Its agricultural productivity relies on irrigation from both surface water diversions and groundwater pumping from wells. About one-sixth of the irrigated land in the U.S. is in the Central Valley.

Woland
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The central valley, as you call it, consist of a lot of bedroom communities for people who commute to the silicon valley and San Francisco for work, my sister did it for years. So a lot of those unemployed there lost jobs outside of the valley not so much related to the farming industry.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-01-02 15:39, MagicSanta wrote:
The central valley, as you call it, consist of a lot of bedroom communities for people who commute to the silicon valley and San Francisco for work, my sister did it for years. So a lot of those unemployed there lost jobs outside of the valley not so much related to the farming industry.

Thanks for calling Woland out on his nutty agricultural statistics.

Woland, the point is that everything you claimed is basically untrue. The Central Valley agricultural sector is still booming, its economy is only a fraction of Belgium's, and blaming the smelt for some (non-existent) economic decline is both simplistic and foolish.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hmmmm . . . . I will have to dig deeper to convince you, balducci, but I haven't given up!

Meanwhile, back to the snow:

Quote:
A group of on-duty Sanitation supervisors is under investigation for allegedly buying booze and chilling in their cozy department car for hours Monday night after the blizzard stranded a bus and three snowplows blocks away.

The city Department of Investigation is probing the incident after witnesses said four snow blowers blew off their duties to get blitzed, buying two six-packs of beer from a Brooklyn bodega. The workers then walked five blocks to their car, which was in 20 inches of snow in the middle of 18th at McDonald avenues near the F train entrance, passing the stuck bus and idle plows on 18th Avenue between Third and Fourth streets.

Department of Investigation Assistant Commissioner Keith Schwam said "we're looking into what happened."

The DOI is also investigating whether Sanitation workers contributed to the chaos with an organized slowdown.

Yesterday, city officials claimed every street in the city had seen a plow and said garbage pickups would resume tomorrow, starting with street-corner cans and, possibly, residential trash.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Let's see--four supervisors--by definition, management--were allegedly seen drinking on the job. And yet rather than headlines of management incompetence, the headlines scream about "union workers." There has not been one scrap of evidence that a union worker conspired to do anything, but do their jobs as they should. In fact if you go over the interview that councilman Halloran gave on Fox, you can see that even if his report is true, the union workers were whistleblowers, relaying what some supervisors--again, management--had allegedly said to them.

But it's obviously good for Bloomberg, who was too busy somewhere to declare a snow emergency-- to deflect the blame from himself and idiots like Deputy Mayor Stephen Goldsmith who gave the order to send out buses without chains on their tires. And while we're out at, I'm well acquainted with the F train--I had to take it, walking miles, as the train closest to me was out for four days; this has never happened in a snowstorm before. Again this is a direct result of the new idiot in charge of the MTA, Jay Walder, who didn't know how to prepare for a snowstorm. But then he was only brought in to oversee the firing of workers, not to actually run an effective operation.

As far as I know, Bloomberg, Goldsmith, and Walder do not belong to any union. I await the investigation into their actions, though I'm not holding my breath waiting for the Post to call for it.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
If you'd like to read about some of the MTA brass screw-ups, here is a recent article from the NY Daily News.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
It is amazing. Unless I am mistaken, they knew that a big storm was on its way.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Oh for heavens sake...it is New York City, they don't produce anything other than some great mustard so closing the city doesn't really effect things.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow . . . (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL