The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Star Wars fans here? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Had been looking back at the Movies, old and new...

Interesting to see them in order.

Strange thing for future viewers is that the effects become gradually worse from Episodes 4 and on... Smile

Any Star Wars fans lurking in here?

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Yup.

You want a modern film that's a bit more in-line with the feel of the original Star Wars films, check out Serenity, and the series it spawned from, Firefly.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Look for an odd film called "Fanboys" about a group of guys (and the token romantic interest) who go on a road trip to break into Skywalker Ranch and sneak a look at SW-1 The Phantom Menace.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That was the first movie my family went to when we moved to Chicago. Yep fanboy I am. More memorabelia than I want to confess to LOL.

I actually MET ol George. Said he started with the 4th movie because it simply was the best story. Empire was great also then downhill fast! He was right. 4 was the best story.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I saw the first two and none since but I loved the first ones. I think the effects were changed because that is around the time industrial light and magic was going toward more computer effects rather than modeling.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-12-28 14:55, MagicSanta wrote:
I saw the first two and none since but I loved the first ones. I think the effects were changed because that is around the time industrial light and magic was going toward more computer effects rather than modeling.

Yes, sadly Lucas focused on shifting to almost entirely CGI based effects, which killed the charm of the originals. When ILM was involved with Jurassic Park, they had achieved a near perfect balance of mixing both. That film had some of the best applications and uses of CGI I have seen. Sadly much of the use of CGI has steadily gone down hill, particularly from ILM and Lucas, since.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-12-28 14:15, Dannydoyle wrote:

I actually MET ol George. Said he started with the 4th movie because it simply was the best story. Empire was great also then downhill fast! He was right. 4 was the best story.

Hah. And he ripped that off of / reimagined it from Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. (That is movie 4, right?)

If you've never seen them, check out the original Star Wars movie scripts and story synopsis.

http://starwarz.com/starkiller/category/star-wars-scripts/

http://starwarz.com/starkiller/2010/03/t......ynopsis/

My Xmas gift to you. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-12-28 14:03, ed rhodes wrote:
Look for an odd film called "Fanboys" about a group of guys (and the token romantic interest) who go on a road trip to break into Skywalker Ranch and sneak a look at SW-1 The Phantom Menace.

That Movie was stoopid funny, in a good way... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My nephew interned for Lucas before he went to Pixar to intern. The guy who was suppose to be getting the job at Pixar got it at ILM so my nephew got in at Pixar and has been an animator there for a few years now. The ILM job was, I guess, the plum one.
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
I love Fanboys.

In my van, it's Rush! All Rush, all the time! I love it when my friends bug me about that in my car because...5 of the 6 cd's are Rush albums xD.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I love Star Wars deeply. I am very old school, so I fell in love with the original trilogy and I still love it. The prequel trilogy...well, it was interesting to see the story but Lucas is blinded by the possibilities of CG and it takes so much away. But I do love the lightsaber battles in the new films.

I do have a pile of very accurate SW models and 1:1 full metal replicas on Luke's/Anakin's, Obi-Wan's and Vader's lightsabers (the hilt, no blade) so I am a bit of a geek yes Smile
Sent from my Typewriter
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
I love Star Wars as well Smile
I just received the Star Wars Vault Book for Xmas - not sure if you guys are familiar, anyways, it sure is an awesome book!
Stuffed FULL with great facts and memorabillia (such as the original sheet music score for the theme tune, tickets, posters e.t.c). Smile

Kyle
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
The only thing I don't understand is the animosity between Star Wars and Star Trek fans. (This is played up in the film)
I like both series and will defend both of them as valid.

I think the problems with Chapters 1, 2 and 3 are perfectly clear.
The legend is that Harrison Ford looked over at George Lucas during the filming of Chapter 4 (back when it was just called "Star Wars") and said; "George, you can write this ****, but you can't say it!"

By the time he got to make 1, 2 and 3, George had become such a powerhouse that you couldn't say something like that to him.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
What ever happened to Jar Jar?
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
He got fan-hated out of the franchise.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Now I disagree about the effects. I like the miniatures they originally used better than the overabundance of CGI in the prequels.
The only really bad one was the Rancor beast. Obvious lines where he was inserted.
I love the mythology of Star Wars. I think maybe the Church of Jedi takes it a bit too far, but Lucas really did a good job with his parallels to older mythologies and philosophies. At least, until the stupid midichlorian stuff. You're telling me that the force is little parasites? It's a freakin' germ? "Timmy can't come to the cantina today, he's got a bad case of the 'chlores!" I preferred thinking of it as more like chi. Stupid midichlorian, Jar-Jar, pod race, grumble.
Only one reason to watch Episode I: Darth Maul fight.
Episode II made me want to schmarf with all of the romantic garbage. But, again, the saving grace was the Yoda fight.
Episode III I liked all around. Except maybe that Anakin's transformation seemed a little sudden. Like, one minute he feels bad about killing a Sith, and the next minute he's slaughtering little kids? A bit quick, I think.
But it had some awesome fights. Great moments from the Yoda.

IV-VI are all time classics. Everything about them is good. Except that Rancor.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2010-12-29 09:20, jazzy snazzy wrote:
What ever happened to Jar Jar?

In III he seems to be the senator from his planet. No idea what the water planet folks eventually wanted from the Empire/Republic... aside from less commercial fishing I guess.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2757 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
JarJar was SO annoying, LOL.
But he was the first fully CGIed photorealistic character in movie history!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Here's my take on Jar Jar:
He was one of them aliens that came to the temple in the last Indiana Jones. He escaped from the temple before the crystal ship took the Doors back to acidland. After escaping the temple, he ran into "Mutt" and a tribe of Ewoks in the jungle, and they all killed each other. The end.

You know what sucks about lightsaber chopsticks? It's really hard to eat and make vwoosh vwirr sounds at the same time.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Star Wars fans here? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL