The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A series of Essays geared toward the Walk Around performer/Worker. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 05:39, Futureal wrote:
I had no idea you were a professional magician, Jamie.

Lol, why? I've been doing corporate gigs, weddings, and VIP functions for years (I always try and maintain at least 50 gigs a year).

http://www.Professional-Magician.com is my main booking site. Fun!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Hiya Gang!

Something a bit different this time around for everyone who's thinking about adding a stage show to their repertoire~ fun!

All my best,

jamie
http://www.SendWonder.com
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1991 Posts

Profile of puggo
An excellent piece of information Jamie - Can you do a bit more on this subject?

Thank you for continuing to share your experience.

Charlie
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Thanks for the kind words!

Here's the latest:

How to Promote Yourself. (This is geared...... worker)

All my best,

jamie
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Just a quick FYI that my book on these subjects is well on the way! I'd love to know what other questions people might have reagrding the working life.

My best,

jamie
http://www.SendWonder.com
Deadsets
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Deadsets
Hey Jamie,

I've read these a few times and they're great. Nice to have a laugh and have some motivation to improve and go forward.

DS
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
175 Posts

Profile of coolini
Hi Jamie,
I would like to know what to say when you get complements after performing for a group.
they say "ah that's great,i really enjoyed that".
and I go "thank you".....dead end!!!!
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

I think it's always key to end on the high note! So if we're working on my 3 trick theory..

Trick
Applause (and "That's great!")

then:

"Let me show you another!"
Trick
Applause ("That's even better!")

then:

"I have time to show you one more."
Trick
Applause ("OMG, that's the most amazing thing I've ever encountered! Somebody hold me up!")

ending with:

"Hey, thanks, lol! I've got to carry on but I'll hopefully be back. If I'm not- have an awesome evening! You guys are awesome!"

If, however, it's just after one trick, I'll always make sure I confront the problem of, "Show us another!" before they even get there. I'll do this by saying, "Check this out! I've been working on this new magic effect! Do you want to see it? It's the only one I can perform today though." or "It's the only one I know!" or "I'm only allowed to do one a day, though. Magician rules. I can't tell you what that means."

After the, "You're amazing!!!" I will always, always, always, ask them a question. And it's from left field! This not only keeps the conversation moving but will also help deflect thought reconstruction. So...

"Awesomse- thanks! Hey, what time is that movie playing tonight?" or, "Awesome, thanks! Hey did you see that game yesterday? That was amazing. Who will win tomorrow?"

Does that make any sense, lol?
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
This is well worth bookmarking and re-reading it from time to time. Thanks!
Life of Magic!
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
826 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Really? Do you really believe it is the single most important thing you can do?
What if you do not know any magic tricks?
What if you are painfully shy and cannot approach a table?
What if......
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Hiya Bunkyhenry!

Thanks for the post! I guess the only think I can say is that perhaps this series of essays (as titled as geared toward the worker) probably isn't best suited for someone who doesn't know any tricks yet? Or maybe it is? Just offering some insight into a worker's mindset. On this particular subject, though, proper writing is often crucial to getting the gig! My 2 centz (joke)~

All my best!

~jamie
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Did you hang up your busking career or are ya' still on the pitch Jamie?
Your pitch experience is still being discussed in the sidewalk forum.
Here's to fat hats guy!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2415 Posts

Almost all of my work is split between VIP Walk Around and Corporate stage shows (about 80/20) split. However, busking is still one of my favourite types of work! I love the romance of it. I just never get out.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
This has been one of the most valuable threads I have ever read on this wonderful and grand Magic Café!

Jamie, I sincerely thank you for the golconda of information you have generously shared with us!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Thank you for the great essays Jamie! Could you consider writing one in the future that concerns business start up? Like maybe the 5 most important points, or something like that? I am getting ready to put yours and Christopher Lyle's information into practice, but have little business experience; especially magic business.

What things MUST we do when we start really working for pay? Start a business account? Put together a promo packet? Set aside 33% for taxes? Get insurance? Open an offshore bank account? Order our Bugatti Veyron?

Any information you share in this area would be fantastic! Thanks again!

:)
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Great post!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A series of Essays geared toward the Walk Around performer/Worker. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL