We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » I have faith in God, but do I have to do Gospel magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mightydog
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan now living in the Florida panha
156 Posts

Profile of mightydog
As you continue your search Bato use the Bible as your road map and it will steer you in the path you need to follow. It will contain all the answers and directions you will need on your journey.

mightydog
David
Illusion and magic is the same, if it was possible to achieve the impossible by genuine powers then it wouldn’t be impossible and therefore it wouldn’t be magic. That’s why magic is an art; the art of creating the illusion of the impossible.
Raphael Benatar

mightydog
David
Bato William
View Profile
Regular user
All I've managed to write is
160 Posts

Profile of Bato William
Thank you, one and all, for your many kind responses.

But I will continue searching for God; the historical persecution of the Jews by the Catholics makes me uneasy.

Bato William
You're nothing but a pack of cards! - Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson)
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
The history of man is so badly and shamefully scarred by persecution- and it shockingly continues today throughout the world. Christians and Jews in particular now are worldwide targets. I was reading just tonight (and it made me think of your earlier post) the description of the execution of Christian John Huss in 1415 (see pages 57-64 of the new book "slave" by Dr. John MacArthur) by the Roman Church of his day because he stated in his "De Ecclesia" book that the suthority of the Bible is greater that the authority of the church. What is happening in Egypt today could pose (depending on what happens next) an obvious potential threat to Israel- thus so urgent for the Gospel to continue to be clearly taught. You'd think in this time of advanced enlightenment, advanced education and worldwide communication that religious freedom would be expanding- yet in so many places just the opposite is happening- with more reported intolerance towards all "unsanctioned" religions than ever before. Thanks Bato for posting here- I really enjoy reading the varied messages on The Magic Café' and conversing with so many other interesting performers throughout the day on a number of topics. I think I share with others the desire to see more posts under this loose "FCM" subheading- please keep them coming (otherwise I will just keep posting like the fellow mad men there in the "Now That's Funny" category on The Café'). Psalm 67
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
Roger,

If you'd like to get an overview and then some of the history of the church, check out Drive By Church History here:

http://www.wretchedradio.com/store/produ......m?id=346

Mike
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
ThePhilosopher
View Profile
Regular user
Menlo Park, CA
122 Posts

Profile of ThePhilosopher
I don't mean to start an argument here, but there are SO many slanted versions of Church history. (Vlad could probably chime in here too, since he is very well versed in Church history) I would just say to be careful when choosing a source. From what I have seen, this book does not accurately represent the facts. It is hard to find an "objective" view, because anything religious is so emotionally charged. Again, I don't mean to cut anyone down. I am just saying that it is important to have a critical eye when you get into this topic. Paraphrasing Gadamer, "If everything you read confirms what you already believe, you are not really discovering the truth."
- Nathan
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Thanks Mike- I have thought about getting that- I listen to Wretched Radio online all the time. Erwin Lutzer put out an excellent CD series a few years ago on "The Reformers" covering this particular age of church history- it was brutal back then- whoever was in power (say as in the King of England) basically persecuted those who did not believe the same way.
ianhutch
View Profile
New user
Kent, England
27 Posts

Profile of ianhutch
Bato, thanks for stimulating this discussion. Father God has had to work through many centuries using very weak, vicious & sinful men. Church history is full of instances of people being branded heretics by the institutional church, being executed, their books burned & then the world has been told what they believed by their persecutors. Hardly a valid way of getting an accurate historical picture! The only reason that didn't happen to the Orthodox Church in 1054 was that they were too strong! Hebrews 1 tells us the God's final revelation of Himself is in His Son, Jesus. If what we see or are taught doesn't tie up with the God we see in Jesus, it's wrong. The other thing that affects our view of Jesus is that we tend to look back to Him through the lenses of those who followed: Paul, Augustine, Aquinas, Calvin, Wesley etc. Those lenses distort badly our view. If we look at Jesus by looking forward through Abraham, Moses, David & the Prophets, we see a completely different view. The Church has made many dreadful decisions & committed many foul acts of violence over the centuries & I do not believe we can excuse them by 'It was the spirit of that age' excuses. The spirit of this age is just as wicked, but the Church no longer has the power to murder & persecute in the same way so it rarely happens. Phillipians 2 1–11 must be our attitude & none other.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » I have faith in God, but do I have to do Gospel magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL