The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Plan of illusion "TWISTER" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
Who has the plan of illusion "TWISTER"? Inform me! There is an offer. Smile
Alex Krey
---------------------------
http://www.alexkrey.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Paul Osborne publishes a plan for Twister. I have that one as well as a plan that I modified from the Osborne plan to fit a particular situation.

You should be able to find the Osborne plans at any major magic dealer.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
I know, that is from P.Osborne.
I am interested who of it has. Smile
Alex Krey
i-o-f
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of i-o-f
Hi Alex,

I own the Osborne Plans. I bought then long after I build the twister. I thought they might give me some nice details for a rework. But i had to notice they don´t, my own version had all (and some more) features that the plans explain.
The plans do only give the dimensions of the parts and boxes and the basic workings. But no details on how to build and work some of the mechanical Details.

I hope that helps

Greetings from Germany

Oliver
Oliver

c/o www.oliverdeluca.de
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
It in all plans OSBORNE.
Subtleties are not present. Only the sizes of a box and beautiful figures.
Alex Krey
Patrick T.
View Profile
New user
Esslingen / Germany
39 Posts

Profile of Patrick T.
Hi!!!
I am just building a Twister Illusion too. I-O-F I am going to send you a Private Messages because I got a question.
Patrick Thomas
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Just to add to your background information, the Twister originated from an idea by Lou Lancaster. The first practical working model was constructed by Lynetta Welch ( http://www.fabricmanipulation.com ) for her then husband Ed Alonzo. Several other people have since claimed credit for the illusion.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Whit is right. My buddy, Dave Womach, toured with Ed Alonzo this year and discussed Ed's ownership/history of the final Twister design. I asked Dave WHY Ed never went after all the bootleg versions. His answer was basically "it's not worth the hassle" ( that's not an exact quote ) This is a tough one because I feel, for personal construction, Ed should at least deserve a phone call asking permission. He seems to be a pretty cool guy. For Commercial Production, he and Lou Lancaster should be asked as well as deserve a Royalty.
I have been asked to build a VERY CUSTOM version of this effect. I plan to call Ed and DEMAND he gets a percentage ( or maybe he can donate it to his favorite charity ). I will not make a move until I get his permission. When the effect is complete, I will be sure to post a link for you all to view the final Illusion.
I am not trying to scold anyone as much as put the whole thing into perspective regarding respect of the creators.
Do what you think is right Smile
Take care,
Chance Wolf
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
i-o-f
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of i-o-f
Hi Chance,

thank you for the information on the Twisters origin. Before I started building it, I did some research on the Web (Illusion Hotline, asked some illusionists) but got no useable information. It seemed that the Twister is somewhat "public domain". I really respect creators claims, so I will try to contact Ed on this.

Take Care

Oliver

If you got his contact email, please drop me a note !
Oliver

c/o www.oliverdeluca.de
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
This is what I understand of Twister invention ... Twister was a Mark Kornhouser and Franz Harary concept illusion. Ed was in on the seeing the planning and just went ahead and made the first working model. Mark K. made himself one as well. Franz made his double body twister.
Ed made the best version I seen. All other models was pattern after his model.

It's a sticky issue.

Talk to Bill Smith on this Chance to double check the facts. You can dig out Bill Smith ad in Magic Magazine in 1985 to see the credits as well.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Lynetta Welch designed and built Ed Alonzo's Twister. The idea for the Twister came from Lou Lancaster. He described it to me in 1981 or so at Magic Island in Houston, and explained the idea to many well known magicians at that time.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Whit, Zigmont & Oliver,
I apologize for any misunderstanding as I am confused now.Smile
Bottom line: I think it would be nice that all those involved get some credit and a few bucks for such a fun idea. I will assure you I will try my best to honor my deal to those involved Smile
Thanks Zig, Whit and the rest. I will watch this thread and take any info which will help in solving the ownership problem. ( even if I have to send out 10 Royalty Checks...OK...don't EVERYBODY PILE ON!! Smile )
Take care,
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
The twister is a great concept as long as you don't make the jumpers head look as if it is four inches deeper than it actually is...it really blows the illusion nd yet everyone always seems to go for the cheapo version.

Another thought...I have a video of Ed Alonzo doing the twister circa late sixties I believe. (maybe early seventies). Wouldn't Franz Harary been about six years old at the time?
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
I don't think you have video of Ed doing twister in the late 60's early 70's unless Ed is in his mid 60's or early 70's (age)now.
Twister was introduced in the mid 80's. The video you have is most than likely some show in the early 80's like The Saved By The Bell or Late Show with Arsenio Hall. This was his earliest TV appearances.

I was at David Mendoza Magic Craft shop in 1987 checking on some new illusions I was having made and Ed's twister was in the shop to copy his working model for Copperfield twister.

Bill Smith made it available in 1985. This was the era twister was new and the hot newest illusion.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Zigmont is correct in his statements and we have the exact piece to prove it. We currently own the very first Twister built by Bill Smith. It made it's way across Canada thru several owners and ended up with us. It is still in great shape and we use it in every show. It gets a bgreat reaction from the audience.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
Really anybody from you has no plan of this illusion? Smile
Alex Krey
xblazer97
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of xblazer97
So what are some really good stage tricks but aren't way too expensive? Please Write! Smile
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
I can not find this plan at dealers.
Who knows who it sells?
Alex Krey
Lynetta
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
111 Posts

Profile of Lynetta
Bill Smith did not make the Twister available in 1985, because the first one was not built until 1986; I know because I built it. I built it in the underground parking area of our apartment complex in Los Angeles. Ed did get the idea from Franz, but Franz gave him permission to do it. In fact, Franz let us borrow his Head Twister Illusion so that I could duplicate the hair flipping down. Ed did not steal the idea; I know because I was there. As Whit said, the original idea came from Lou Lancaster. I have spoken to Lou about his original idea and about his conversations, prior to any Twister being built, with those who now claim to be the "first" to come up with the idea. Ed and I originally performed the Twister at It's Magic in 1986; Jody Baron was also in the show. We then went on a cruise ship to work out our performance and when we returned, we presented it, I believe in May of 1987, on The Late Show. Arsenio Hall was the host, but he was actually auditioning on that show. We then we went right into a show at the Sands in Las Vegas. David Copperfield came to us and asked for our permission and input on his Twister; that is why Zigmont saw our Twister in Dave Mendoza's shop. Dave Mendoza did later build us a second Twister that broke down for travelling. I still have my original sketches and the first Twister. Doug Malloy is storing the Twister at his shop in Lancaster, CA. Doug has my blessing on manufacturing Twister Illusions; he is the only builder who has ever asked me about manufacturing them. This probably doesn't help Alex with his original post, but I felt I needed to finally set the record somewhat straight.
Lynetta
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
Ed did get the idea from Franz, but Franz gave him permission to do it.

This is the only thing that can be said here is about the "Rub".

After talking to Bill Smith I learned that the dates Lynetta gave of coarse are right.(a friend of mine John Bundy bought the first advertised model from Bill Smith. John said he bought it around 85 and that had to be 87)
But Mark Kornhauser was involed with getting the idea built as well, Mark shared his ideas and drawings with Franz for the planning of his twister as told to me by Bill.
Since Lou Lancaster is a close up magician we can assume that he had a concept, but he must of shared with more than one person.

Kornhauser showed Bill Smith his drawings in 1986 and had a twist built for a Spellbound show same year. The show in Alantic City was reviewed in Genii Magician with a photo.

At the time Mark K. shared with Franz, Franz said he was working on a twister Too. Franz came up with his twister which is different that Ed's and Marks and the only thing the same was the head box. I believe that was a john Gaughan Head Box twister

I do believe Bill Smith in his advertisement of the Twister gave Mark K. and Franz H. credits. Perhaps Ed too. (too lazy to dig thru all the magazines)

Bill Smith told me he believed from the beginning and to this day, it is Kornhauser's Illusion. Lynetta believes it is Franz's, so there is the "rub"

I realized now that Lynetta really came up with many of the features that are built into the illusion today.
She made it from paper to reality and had to come up with some clever ideas. I must say she an amazing gal!!! I always said the first Alonzo's model was the best twister made.

It's going to be like who invented Mismade...
Chuck Jones
Owen Magic
John Pomeroy
Karson

A real can of worms
Zigmont
Magic F/X
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Plan of illusion "TWISTER" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL