The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » TIPS for a guy looking into getting doves? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
So.. I'm a close-up guy, and I want to jump into doing a stand up, stage act. I really LOVE LOVE LOVE doves. I love animals for that matter.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask for any tips, pointers, ideas from people who have doves, and any advice they would give to someone just starting out.

The direction my mind is in is... get 2 doves, get some harnesses, alter my jacket, and start training them asap. haha

Any input (hopefully in positive way, not to steer me away from a dove act) would be great.

Thanks guys!

:)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22165 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You would get your answers by reading this blog, you question is a standard one that has been asked many times. If you are not willing to do the work, then your really not interested in finding your answers.

I would not suggest your method as that is the way I had to do it and it cost me $500 to find the correct dove pocket, dove bag, and production methods that really worked.

Dove productions are only a small part of a dove act, as it should be connected with other tricks like silk productions and vanishes. To come out and produce a dove from a scarf that you just have in your had is not all that magical.

After you find some specific things of interest, come back here to this thread and ask your detailed questions, be more then happy to help you decide or confirm your thoughts.

Happy reading!
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5015 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
DC,

Quote:

The direction my mind is in is... get 2 doves, get some harnesses, alter my jacket, and start training them asap.

There are many many topics on this forum concerning this very subject. Let me say that your statement above is out of sequence. Getting the doves is the very last thing you want to do. The very first is to get and study some videos to get a good understanding of exactly what is involved in dove magic. Some excellent choices, and certainly not the only choices, are Tony Clarks series "unmasked" and Andy Amyx's "doves 101"

There are a lot of factors to consider before starting out.
1: Do you have the time (initially hours per day) to train your doves
2: Do you have a place to keep them. In the house is not good because of the powdery dander they spread. An outdoor aviary must be protected from the elements and preditors
3: Can you affor the bird food, vitamins, treats, vet bills and again the time
4: Are there sufficient venues in your area where dove magic would be allowed

If after studying the videos you can answer yes to these questions, then there is no reason why you shouldn't work on a routine.

As for harnesses and pockets, there are many varities on the market. Some better than others. Before altering a jacket, temporarily pin the pockets in and practice. Instead of using the doves for this, roll up a pair of heavy socks. The size and weight will be about the same and will give you an idea of exactly where to attach the pockets.

Training will take approximately 6 to 7 weeks of constant handling. Once done, you can begin using them in place of the socks.

Once again, get the videos first and study them. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask here and I or the other dove workers on the Café will be more than happy to help you.
Where the magic begins
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
DC as Dave mentioned some good resources to learn from would be " Tony Clarks series "unmasked" and Andy Amyx's "doves 101". I have both and would be willing to sell either one of them to help you out. PM me if you are interested. These are both great learning tools.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Great advise so far and I would expect no less from the likes of Dave and the others. I have only one other thing for you to consider in your decissions. ARE YOU READY TO MAKE A COMMITMENT FOR MANY MANY YEARS? Doves can last for up to 2 decades if healthy. Are you in a position where two three years down the road you have to move or whatever and have to get rid of the birds? People do this all the time and then the animals are the ones that loose out. Get all of the information and then and ONLY then be honest in your decission BEFORE you get the birds.
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Birdsboro, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
They are not kidding on the life-span of doves. When we had Johnny Thompson in for our convention he told us the Doves he was using were all 20 years plus.

Mike
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My young doves that are used are about 16 and my older ones about 22. Don't think in terms of "dog years" if you get into doves. (Your kids will leave home first!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Check out Bob Sanders' Dove Hotline on Magic Auction. Seems not to be updated in quite sme time, but most definitely will enlighten you about the ins and outs of dove care.

http://www.magicauction.com/DoveHotline/......ves.html
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5015 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Bob answered many of my questions on the magic hot line when I first started out. He turned the reigns over to Tony Clark but you're right, it hasn't been updated in quite some time. If you read the entire forum, most of your questions will be answered.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lucy and I just added 15 new doves to our family. It looks like we will be hearing "Coos" a long time.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Maybe this is a little off topic, but as a person inexperienced with most birds except parakeets, do doves make good pets, if not used in magic? We lost our dog of 17 years and I'd like to have another animal, but not ready for a dog again just yet. Still stinging from her loss. Thinking of a parrot or something, but if doves make good pets, I might do that as a primary interest/hobby, then perhaps move it/them into magic? I have a few dove vanishing and producing effects and will be playing with them using latex doves, but it wouuld be wonderful to use a pet dove someday. Thanks....
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2871 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Good comments so far. Doves are not props: they're living beings, birds who really belong in the wild, but are being held captive. When I had doves, I discovered very early that each one of them had a distinct personality, to the point where I put them in the act based on who they were and how they would react to where they were. I always used the same bird for the same effect. Two of them were fine for appearances and vanishes, but one was something of a ham and turned out to be the one I produced last, perched on my appearing cane, and walked off with.

Training took months, but I used those birds indoors, outdoors, at a mall, and in theaters, and they never once worried me. They were totally comfortable and went along with the drill every time. I actually thought of them and treated them as pets. And when they appeared, and those huge, gorgeous white wings flapped, the effect, was, well, magical.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
879 Posts

Profile of sperris
@ Bob1Dog - doves make great pets if you have just one dove and get it fairly young and let it bond to you. I have some very close friends who have only one dove, and you'd think that thing was a puppy. It loves to come out of the cage and hang out with them on the ouch when they watch tv, etc.
DANSPERRY.COM
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I'm also trying my hand at dove magic. I purchased Gen Grant's dvd, Tony Clark's dvd all great to start with bu the best thing to do is to find a local magicain that is willing to work with you. It will save you lots of time and money. Best part is it will save a birds life.
Life of Magic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » TIPS for a guy looking into getting doves? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL