We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Best Bill Change/Switch (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Calvin826
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
I find the 'most visual' single bill switch to be Juan Pablo's, along with McKenzie's clean-up.

Alan, I have the McKenzie video that you linked to, and if I'm not mistaken(i watched it a million times in slo-mo), there's a little bit of digital blur applied at the point of the change. I've never seen L. Chevrie's version in person, but read somewhere that he recommends a much larger movement to disguise the dirty stuff. Check out his demo of Grandpa's Dollar to see the difference.

On another note, I've read posts from many here at the Café concerned about the fact that this method requires a pre-folded bill...
It does, but the way I present it, it makes sense that the bill is my own- and I allow the spec to examine it before and after anyway, so what difference does it make?
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Quote:
On 2011-06-29 15:50, Calvin826 wrote:
On another note, I've read posts from many here at the Café concerned about the fact that this method requires a pre-folded bill...
It does, but the way I present it, it makes sense that the bill is my own- and I allow the spec to examine it before and after anyway, so what difference does it make?

Three little words (but definitely not the only ones) that every magician should live by - "it makes sense..."
When something, regardless of what you are performing/doing, makes sense, then you can get away with just about anything. It also goes to show that you have put a good amount of thought into routining,

Calvin, thanks for making that point!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I am trying to learn Slow Burn at the moment. Seems like it might be very effective. Can anyone tell me what the difference between Slow Burn, Extreme Burn and Extreme Burn 2.0 are?
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Calvin826
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Quote:
On 2011-07-03 22:35, Mike Maturen wrote:
I am trying to learn Slow Burn at the moment. Seems like it might be very effective. Can anyone tell me what the difference between Slow Burn, Extreme Burn and Extreme Burn 2.0 are?

I always preferred slow burn- done properly I think it looks more magical- but to each his own. The difference between is SB and EB is something that allows the change to appear more 'visual' (practically instant). EB2 uses basically the same thing (slight design modification), and the DVD has several additional handlings.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
Extreme burn is very visual
and reset is easy
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Extreme Burn is outstanding.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The most useful bill transformation I have seen is Sam Sandler's "Fusion Illusion" in which he transforms two one-dollar bills from a spectator into a two-dollar bill, which he then hands over to the spectator to keep (it only costs a trip to the bank to stock up on two-dollar bills). We make use of his effect in our Wizard Wallet routine from The Wizards' Journal #20 to enable a borrowed bill to be used in an effect where a predetermined serial number is needed. By transforming the two borrowed singles to a two-dollar bill, the spectator is never aware that the reason for the switch was to confuse the serial number trail! He is delighted with his two-dollar bill "change" for two singles and naturally, the serial number on the two-dollar bill wouldn't be expected to match the serial number on a single.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
I still like doing the quad bill switch
with a th--b ti- from a regular one dollar
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Quote:
On 2011-01-03 10:35, nonvpro wrote:
The one done by Joe Skilton. However, it's not available.

Is this what you're talking about? It's a Gregory Wilson product.

http://vimeo.com/5128683
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kusUcKW_CB8
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-06-29 15:50, Calvin826 wrote:
I find the 'most visual' single bill switch to be Juan Pablo's, along with McKenzie's clean-up.

Alan, I have the McKenzie video that you linked to, and if I'm not mistaken(i watched it a million times in slo-mo), there's a little bit of digital blur applied at the point of the change. I've never seen L. Chevrie's version in person, but read somewhere that he recommends a much larger movement to disguise the dirty stuff. Check out his demo of Grandpa's Dollar to see the difference.

Chevrie used an economy of motion with his version of the handling. He went on to explain the handling, but at first, it seemed that there was no way the handling could account for what I witnessed, until I tried it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jshzcRF5T1Y Take a look at his video of the switch. At first, it looks like he's going to do a different switch, but then he goes into the Juan Pablo switch.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
392 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
The first few times I did Extreme Burn 2.0, I thought I was doing something wrong, because I didn't get that loud reaction I was expecting. Then the people said they couldn't react because they were so shocked. The effect is quick but the reaction is slow. Then wait a bit, and everyone breaks into laughter. It really is effective. And with the latest variations in 2.0 you can hand the bills out for examination and immediately reset it. Love it.
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Alan,

I really enjoyed the you tube video you just posted of Lonnie Chevrie's bill switch. You are absolutely correct about economy of motion. I saw him perform this at Magic Live at his booth and it is equally impressive in person. I am going to have to go back and revisit this technique. Thanks for posting the video.
Calvin826
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Quote:
Chevrie used an economy of motion with his version of the handling. He went on to explain the handling, but at first, it seemed that there was no way the handling could account for what I witnessed, until I tried it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jshzcRF5T1Y Take a look at his video of the switch. At first, it looks like he's going to do a different switch, but then he goes into the Juan Pablo switch.

Great video. What I meant is that he starts out at a lower point than McKenzie. I've done it both ways, and the Chevrie version definitely hides the work better.
At any rate, it'll take a lot of practice- but definitely worth it. As I mentioned earlier, the presentation I use calls for the use of my own bill, and I can hand it out afterwards, so it works out well.
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
860 Posts

Profile of boydy
Is it just me or is the bill switch worked to death? I know we are all seeking for the "best" but to me the continual bringing out of new ways to do the effect is more an exercise in making money.
Calvin826
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Quote:
On 2011-09-06 11:46, boydy wrote:
Is it just me or is the bill switch worked to death? I know we are all seeking for the "best" but to me the continual bringing out of new ways to do the effect is more an exercise in making money.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, it's not. It could be argued that $1 to $100 is a bit old- but to me, a 'bill switch' can, and should be, a whole lot more. For instance, Sankey has a version that uses a spectator's signature on a 'dollar sized' piece of paper that changes with one (with his sig) that he has in his pocket.

I've adapted this particular presentation using a small change purse and patter about 'a close-up version' of Houdini's Metamorphasis illusion.

So, I guess I'd say that the switch isn't stale, maybe just the way we're thinking about it.

What I would like to know is, what's better? With a TT or without?... KIDDING!!!! Now that's a topic that truly has been WORKED TO DEATH :0)
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7035 Posts

Profile of bowers
Its true that topit has been worked to death.
but all in all a tt will let you hand the bill out.
and that's the first thing the spectator wants
to look at.
Calvin826
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Quote:
On 2011-09-06 12:30, bowers wrote:
Its true that topit has been worked to death.
but all in all a tt will let you hand the bill out.
and that's the first thing the spectator wants
to look at.

Well, I've actually worked out a way to use an Extra Large TT as a TOPIT. With tons of practice, my aim has become so good that I can vanish many tiny items, including smaller TT's and coin in bottle gimmicks. Not sure if it works with european currency, tho.
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
860 Posts

Profile of boydy
Nice one Calvin
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Sorry, but after this weekend the effect ones to fifties FLOORED EVERYONE! It is towards the end of the clip.

http://foxsanantonio.com/newsroom/top_st......25.shtml
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Best Bill Change/Switch (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL