The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Silver Star Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Follett
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of Doug Follett
I had the priveledge of seeing Duane Laflin's show this past week in Pigeon Forge, TN. Top notch show from start to finish! One of the routine's he did involved a metal fold-out star. Each point of the star folds back and forth, showing both sides, and at the end, it is folded up into a cone shape. From this, he produced a 36" Jesus silk, while discussing Christ's birth, and the true meaning of Christmas.

I would love to find one of these to use at our church. He has told me that he only had 10 of them made, all have been sold, and this probably won't re-surface again. I just thought I would put the word out in case anyone knows where I might be able to buy one. Perhaps a member of the Café'?

Thanks for reading,

Doug
paulbrown0833
View Profile
New user
USA
26 Posts

Profile of paulbrown0833
Sorry, I wish I knew too. That would have been great to use during the Christmas season.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I have not seen it before- sounds like a great idea. The larger Laflin props are for sale at http://www.laflinstagemagic.com - no "Silver Star" production cones listed recently that I can recall.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Doug, I have been looking for one of those also. I did not know what it was called, but I have searched and could not come up with anything. The fact that there were only 10 made might explain why I couldn't find it.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Doug Follett
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of Doug Follett
Thanks for the replies. It really looked deceptive from the stage too! I was very impressed.

Doug
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Doug, is the official name of the trick, "Silver Star Illusion"?
Mister Mystery
Doug Follett
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of Doug Follett
Regan, I don't think so. He filmed each of his performances and I did buy the DVD of that particular performance. I just watched that section again, and there is no reference to that name. He starts the routine by saying he is going to answer the question of "What is the meaning of the Christmas star?".

The deceptiveness of this prop is amazing though. I didn't explain that each of the triangular metal points of the star are attached to a pentagon shaped wire frame. So when they are folded in, you see a pentagon, when they are folded out, or opened, you see a star, but there is no middle section, it's emptiness. This probably sounds confusing. Wish I could capture a picture somehow.

He separately rotated each point one at a time, 360 degrees, through the center of this pentagon, obviously showing both sides of each star point. Very deceptive prop. And strong message to go with it. The routine ended with a lighted star shining up high on a backdrop, shaped in a cross.

Doug
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Doug. It is a great routine. I've seen Duane do it, but I had not heard the prop named. I had tried and tried to search for it, using my best descriptions, but nothing worked.
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Silver Star Illusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL